Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help needed No speed camera or Tesco POI displayed !!?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help needed No speed camera or Tesco POI displayed !!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Help needed No speed camera or Tesco POI displayed !!? Reply with quote

The problem I’ve got is when I install the speed camera POI on to my Ipaq 3850 with navman 3450 and V3 software using the poi editor I get no icon and speed camera info. When I look at the active poi screen there is no file names displayed or selectable.
When I use the managed the poi mode on my PC it displayes the files including the speed camera files. Confused

I have been using the same speed camera data for some time and it’s been ok the only thing is recently is I dropped my pda and had to have a new switch panel. I then had to reload the navman software when it returned.

This morning I loaded the Tesco locations from a link Tim Buxton put of the forum and that didn’t display either.

I would be most grateful for any help you may be able to offer

The software version on the pda is smart st 3.00.0054

Thanks
Ian
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like either the files have not been stored in the correct location on your PDA, or the wrong format of file has been used.

First - On the PDA - Navman Setup screen make sure that on the POI Tab, you have ticked the boxes for "Show Icons on Map" ( top of the screen ) AND "My POI" - which you have to scroll down the list to find.

If this doesn't work, switch the PDA off, remove the GPS sleeve and soft reset the Ipaq. Once it has re-started replace the Navman sleeve and check again if the POI's are there on the Active POI tab.
If not then you need to look at the files that you have transferred.

The files MUST in the correct format for them to work in the Navman program so make sure you have downloaded the proper files.
When you unzip the downloaded database the files you need should end with the ".asc" file extension, e.g "pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.asc"
( Without the quotation marks ). If not then that's your problem.

If you are sure you have the correct files then load one or more onto your PDA :

Start the Navman Smart ST Desktop program and wait for it to Sync with your PDA ( Smart St must not be running on the PDA ).
Click the "Map" tab, and select "POIs..."

Browse to the location where you stored the unzipped file on your PC and select it by double clicking. You should get a screen showing the list of cameras with their Latitude, Longitude and Description.

Click the button that looks like a PDA with an arrow going onto the screen to begin the transfer.

MAKE SURE both the "Active" box and the Visual alert boxes are ticked, plus audio alert if you want that.
Set Imperial or Metric, and warning distance to your preferences and set POI visibility to "Max"

Then click the button to the right of the Icon file box and select the appropriate camera Icon for the file you are transferring.

NOTE : See my post in this forum about the latest Icon files not displaying properly - This in itself should not prevent your Speed Cameras from showing up in your list of Active POI's on the PDA, but it can stop the icons from being displayed correctly. If you have problems like this after following the rest of the instructions then I can always e-mail you some Icon files that I have resized and which should work.

After selecting the Icon file click OK and give the file a name to replace the one suggested - and click OK. The file will be sent to your PDA - you will be asked to click OK about the available memory on your PDA and the memory required by the file, and also if it is OK to relace any existing file with the same name.

After this you shoud get a confirmtion that the file has been transferred and it should all work - turn off the PC SmartSt program, fire up the program on your PDA and let us know if it does Smile

Good luck !
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your help coconut.
I haven’t gone though your instruction but it looks the same as I have tried before. I will try again to make sure and let you know; in the mean time I have two questions.

1 I have no My POI
With in the navman set up screen for POI there is no My POI as part of the selection? Confused

This brings up the question why isn’t the MY POI there is this because a program error or the custom eg Speed camera file are in the wrong file location/ format.
Does the My POI only become visible when you load custom POI’s? Confused

2 where should the .asc ( i was using before csv) file be located when they have been transferred and what file extinction name should there be and is there a log file generated as well.
Mine are located in the main directory My Device and there are 4 files with the name Gatos and a file called mdmlog6.

Should the files be with in a Navman directory?

When I use the manage my POI editor all the custom file are displayed.

I don’t think this make any difference but I am using Active sync 3.8 and pocket pc 2002.

i even send Navman an email after they had replyed with how to load custom POI. i'v had no responce since then which was 2-3 weeks ago.

thanks for any help
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,

Here are some photo's of my Screen to show you how it looks and where the POI tabs are :

1. Start the program, press the left Navi key for the Main Menu then the Right arrow for the next Menu page and it looks like this :

2. Hit the "POI" tab at the botom of the screen :

3. Scroll down to the bottom of the list and tick "My POI" :

4. Next scroll across the tabs at the bottom of the screen alll the way to the right to find the "Active POI's" tab and hit that :

In the POI drop down box at the top of that screen you should find all your active POI's - like my "GATSO" POI.

If you don't have this then your file transfer has not been recognised.

Your files should have been transferred to the following location on your PDA : My Device / Program Files / Navman / SmartST Pro / MYPOI

Check what you have in there.

When you first start the Smart ST program you will see the map files being loaded on the first screen, and after the map(s) it should show you ( briefly ) what POI's are being loaded - this may also give you a clue if this is being done or not.

If none of this helps then it could have something to do with the older Pocket PC2002 as I am running Pocket PC2003 - I can't remember now as it so long ago that I upgraded, but there may be a compatability issue with Pocket PC2003 and Smart ST Version 3 - Maybe someone else on here can offer more advice if you're still stuck. I don't think it will be an Active Sync problem - my version is older than yours !

All the best.
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question newbie -

Are you using the software that comes with the Navman to load the POI's - It's called Navman SmartST Desktop, or are you using something like the "POI editor" program by DNote software.

I only ask because you refer to the "Manage my POI editor" which does not seem to be part fo the Navman software.

I don't think it matters whether the database is in ".asc" format or ".csv" - but earlier versions had to have the .csv files edited to remove the first line which gave the Latitude, Longitude and Description headings for them to work for Navman so this might be another reason for them not working.

If you have confirmed that the files have been trasnsferred to the correct location on your PDA, then try opening one of them ( on your Main PC ) in Notepad or Wordpad ( right click and then "Open with" etc ) and if the first line says "Latitude, Longitude and Description" - DELETE the whole line, save the file then send it again to your PDA and see if that works.

If you have the proper Navman software - try using it, or if you are using something else make sure it is sending the files to the correct location on your PDA as I have laid out in my previous post.

Also, Whether it is the cause fo the problem or not, but if you do want to upgrade your PDA operating software from Pocket PC 2002 to Pocket PC 2003 you will find that HP no longer provide an upgrade.
A quick search on E-Bay today found some though - for around a fiver Smile

Let us know how you get on Wink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi coconent
sorry i haven't been in touch sooner but having seen your pictures, i thought i should phone Navman because i haven't got the " My POI" displayed in the POI screen with in setup on the PDA. which i was going to do last friday but due to familly reason i forgot to phone them.
what concernes me is why i haven't got MY POI displayed.

with regards to the POI file location mine are not stored in the same location as yours.
all the software i'm using is Navman this includes the poi editor.
i will get back to you with my findings.

thanks again for you help.
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

That's "Coconut" Rolling Eyes

One more thing to try - Start the Navman destop software on your main PC and make sure that it is set up to display POI map layers.

Setup / Setup desktop / Select Map Layers to Add and then make sure the box is ticked for "POIs" in the "Select Data to load" section - like this :

Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ops sorry Embarassed coconut.

I followed you instruction for loading POI it showed all the correct messages like file size transferring to pda etc but I still get same results as if I followed Navmans it didn’t work.

Any way I new the speed camera poi worked before when was using my old computer so tried to load poi again from the old computer after an initial sync problem, I loaded a gatso csv file from a few years ago, I checked to see if mypoi was visible in the poi setup on the pda it was and the active poi was showing gatso. I also tried a newer asc file that work to and it was in the same file location as yours is :D . How ever thinking the poi was working I loaded redlight using my new computer didn’t work file loaded in the wrong location.

So for some reason using a combination of Windows XP Active sync 3.8 and pc2002 doesn’t work but Windows 98 Active sync 3.5 and pc2002 does, strange.
I will reload 3.5 and see what happens.

Thank for all your time and help I was doing it right after all bxxxxy computers.

I was wondering if you can help me with one more thing. You said you upgraded to pc2003 I have got pc2003 but I haven’t upgraded it yet is there much to it?
coconut
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bxxxxy computers is dead right Wink

Upgrade to PPC shouldn't be a problem but be aware that your PDA is basically wiped and then the new ROM image version is loaed - ALL your data will be lost unless you have backed it up elsewhere so you can reload it afterwards, AND any programs that you have installed - including Smart St - will have to be reloaded 8O

The only other thing I noticed was that there was a program that came with PPC2002 that could be used as an Infra Red remote control, but in PPC2003 the program is not included, and cannot be supplied.

Can't remember what the program was called now as I didn't use it anyway - I was a bit "miffed" with HP for not warning about that though.
I think there are some similar freeware programs that can be found by "Googling" if you do need such a facility.

Anyway glad you got it all working again - hopefully the instructions here will benefit others having similar problems Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: