Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No more updates after SmartST2005?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No more updates after SmartST2005?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: No more updates after SmartST2005? Reply with quote

I couldn't wait any longer. I wrote to Navman and asked when the 2006 software/maps might be released (for my iPaq Pocket PC) and the response came back that the 2005 version is it - nothing more envisaged. Any comments, anyone..?
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to have renamed it first as SPiN100 and now S10, but it looks very similar to SmartST V2 which I used to use:
http://www.navman.com./Navman/Templates/productinformation____3495.aspx
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, Kam, I shall get back in touch with Navman to find out more :-)
MattB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope that isn't the end of the ine for Navmans products for Pocket PCs. That would mean that the maps would continue to date and the interface wouldn't be improved and I have to say that the N60i interface was looking very good indeed.

The worst thing is, all teh experience with the SmartST software will become redundant and I'll have to consider other suppliers, whose product has never quite grabbed me. TomTom, hmmmm... well at least it is compatible with VGA screens. Not that I have a VGA display, but there's always hope!!

C'mon Navman, buck up your ideas and continue to support the Pocket PC format. You know you want to!!
Becker MapPilot Integrated in Car
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wrote to Navman yesterday morning asking about the S10 but so far there has been no reply. Maybe they have too many customers...

Anyway, just in case, does anybody know of good (to hell with the price!)alternative software/maps that will work with my configuration/Navman jacket? I have the following: iPaq H3970 (Pocket PC 2002) currently running SmartST Professional Version 1.91.0045 SP2 since January 2003.

Many thanks in advance,

Brian.
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Once again, Navman seems to be sending conflicting stories to customers in regards to Navman products, softwares etc. I just wish they would get their act together and inform us as to what is really going on with software upgrades for the PiN series but for all other products in their range.

I fired of an email (mid September) to the Australian division of Navman asking details as to the supply of both Australian and European SmartST2006 software / maps

Here is part of their response on (19th Sept)

Dear Denis,

Thank you for contacting the Navman team.

Map data upgrades for your PiN are released annually at a heavily discounted fee for existing customers. The 2006 maps will be available for purchase through the Navman Online Store and will cost $179.00.

The next version of mapping is due for release in October of this year. As the map data is sent out in CD-Rom form you will need to ensure that you have a blank 256mb memory card on which to store the data for your unit.

.................................................. The rest of email was just of boring sales information telling me what is included, and what hardware is required to update the maps. POI's etc.

Although they seem to have only answered, possibly, in relation to the Australian software / maps, as the SmartST2006 software is the same for both European and Australian PiN systems, then I would assume that the map upgrades would be available for Europe at about the same time. But Navman being Navman anything may or may not come to fruition.

Oh well, lets just see what happens in October.

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps
BrianT
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Denis, interesting :-)

I've still not had a reply - sometimes I get the impression that we customers are a bit of an annoyance.

Based on what you (kindly) posted here I think I'll wait until the end of October (a timely moment to release the version for the year involved!) and see what, if anything, happens.
DGreen
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Just a quick note, that crossed my mind after I posted my last reply, is that in Australia at present Navman is offering a free 2006 map update offer with purchases of certain products, including the PiN 570. Altough once again they only mention "maps", but in past purchasing the latest maps has also included the software as well.

http://www.navman.com/Navman/Templates/productinformation____46984.aspx

This being the case one could possibly see legal ramifications if Navman did not follow through with its offer of this free upgrade.

In my case I am more than happy if the new realease is only "maps" as I am quite at ease using SmartST 2005 software with 2006 maps , as the maps updates are of greatest benefit.

This being the case may add some belief that the new software /maps is close to being realeased.

Best Regards,
Denis
SmartST 2009 - Australian Maps, Western & Eastern European Maps

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navman Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: