Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Go 300 map update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Go 300 map update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Go 300 map update Reply with quote

Hi,
I bought a Tom Tom Go 300 about 18 months ago and its worked seamlessly ever since.
I dont use any of the extra services like Tom Tom plus etc, however I do use the speed camera databse (which surprisingly is still more or less spot on!)
My questions are:
Is it worth me getting my maps/speed cameras updated? I suppose what with all the building work going on these days there are now loads of new roads/speed cameras....
If you think yes to that one, how do I go about doing it? I've trawled through the forums but most relating to the 300 were posted last year so am unsure as to what I should do.
I still have the original product code. Would that qualify me for a discounted upgrade of the maps/speed cameras?
Hope some GPS guru out there can point me in the right direction?
Cheers,
Clank007
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a 300 and am still using the map version that came with it.
There have been a couple of map revisions since (released with new hardware), but you will find that it is a lottery as to whether the differences are particularily relevant to you. There hasbeen a promised major map update program which is now well overdue. When it finally comes you should (if previous releases are anything to go by) be able to buy them a bit cheaper than full price. Worth waiting a bit longer and watching on here is as good a way as any to find out when they are released. There will be PLENTY of posts when it happens!

As for the speed cameras, you don't say if you are using TomTom's own one or the one from this site. If it is one that came with the TomTom when you bought it, I'm amazed you are still happy with it as it will be ages out of date.
The one from here is regrettably not provided free any more, but £2 will get you a far more up to date version than you have.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its £103 quid for the seamless western europe one.. it has southern ireland on it so i spose it about the latest u can get.. mine still has stuff missing or showing errors that are at least five or six years old..

but the same errors show up on the latest microsoft autoroute if thats any consolation..

trog
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Go 300 map update Reply with quote

Clank wrote:
Hi,
I bought a Tom Tom Go 300 about 18 months ago and its worked seamlessly ever since.
I dont use any of the extra services like Tom Tom plus etc, however I do use the speed camera databse (which surprisingly is still more or less spot on!)
My questions are:
Is it worth me getting my maps/speed cameras updated? I suppose what with all the building work going on these days there are now loads of new roads/speed cameras....
If you think yes to that one, how do I go about doing it? I've trawled through the forums but most relating to the 300 were posted last year so am unsure as to what I should do.
I still have the original product code. Would that qualify me for a discounted upgrade of the maps/speed cameras?
Hope some GPS guru out there can point me in the right direction?
Cheers,
Clank007

pretty much anything posted in regard to tomtom all-in-one units (as opposed to the PDA based versions) applies to the 300 apart from obvious thinsg like mountings and so on. And that definitely applies to the speedcam database, the instructions are pretty clear, just follow them AFTER BACKING UP YOUR SD CARD FULLY.

I agree with the other poster re speedcams, surprised you havent found them to be more out of date (I assume you mean the tomtom suppplied ones?).

Anyway its only £2 to download the latest ones from this site, which i recently did after a similar gap in updating (well, maybe 12 months).

new maps are always only a couple of weeks away! I'm sure new maps will be coming in 2 weeks time in about 3 months if you see what I mean!

You are advised to let some other chump, I mean brave person, buy the new maps and comment on them before rushing in, the last update was meant to be very poor.

Tw
Clank
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for your replies.
I will follow Andy's advice and wait for the major map update program to be released and tested by another GO 300 user before I take the plunge and upgrade.
Re the speed camera database - I bought the Tom Tom from the Global Positioning website who for an extra tenner installed the speed camera dbase. Should I go back to them to upgrade or is the update generic in that I could pull it down from this site?
If yes then could you post the correct link to it on here for me please?
Have to say this site is superb for sharing knowledge and ideas.
I'm a computer technician so if anyone has any problems with their computer feel free to message me and i'll help if i can.
Cheers
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd wait for the major map update for the GO 300. You might as well bide your time and wait for the next one to come out. It should help out the 300.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clank - re the speed cameras - who knows what database (or age) they've given you!

To get the monthly updated one from here, just look to the "Members' area (£2)" box at the left of this page and click on "Subscribe Now". Once you are signed up (that can take a few days, depending how you pay), then click on "Speed Cameras" in the same box to get to the download page.
Also, if you are the first to report a new camera, you get free life membership.
Marks_taxi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi im in a similar boat to the first poster and since i bought my 300 about 12-18 months ago many changes has been made to Sheffield's roads plus the new robin hood airport was not even built then so this update could be like next week.

Anyway how much will the update be? any ideas? and if i wanted to add a complete Europe map to the 300 how much will it be? ( i need Rep of Ireland mainly)

Cheers Mark.
trog100
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the £103 quid wester europe one i mentioned earlier has southern ireland.. its for the 300/500/700 and rider.. it come on a 1 gig sd card and just plugged in an went on my 300..

if u live there thats about as "major" as u are gonna get.. he he

the map is a teleatlas version 650.1047.. it comes complete with software app version 6.10.. home will upgrade this to 615..

ignore the fact the tomtom site shows ireland not being covered.. i bought one this week and take my word for it.. irleand has arrived..

if u are waiting for some kinda free major map update u will be waiting for ever..

trog

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: