Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom Traffic & O2
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom Traffic & O2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Griff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Traffic & O2 Reply with quote

can someone please tell me if I have wasted my money, i purchased traffic and cant get it to work with my o2 xda mini II, i can access the internet via gprs no problem, but tomtom says it cant connect to the server, emailed o2 and they say tomtom is not comptible with o2 try trafficline Evil or Very Mad have emailed tom tom but no reply, if it doesnt work with o2 payandgo why dont tomtom warn you about this on the website?
thanks all
Griff
brob108
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Griff

This should work - I have a phone with an O2 contract and can connect to the Traffic service with no problems. A friend of mine has the Orange equivalent of the XDA and his Traffic works okay too.

Have you got a GPRS account with O2 (as you'll need that to access the Traffic downloads)? If yes then I'd check your details are correct (your TomTom account name and password, your connection settngs on the XDA and you can connect to the Internet via the XDA using GPRS.

If all appears to be working correctly then it may need a call to TomTom.
Griff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply however i can use traffic if I connect via wifi at home just cant get the gprs to pick up traffic updates on the move but I can use internet explorer via gprs have contacted tomtom but no reply Crying or Very sad
jdee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem is that O2 Pay&Go only do a WAP gprs connection, and you need a WEB gprs connection. You'll only get that on O2 if you have a contract.

The APN you are connecting on is payandgo.o2.co.uk and the one you need is mobile.o2.co.uk
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Traffic & O2 Reply with quote

Griff wrote:
why dont tomtom warn you about this on the website?

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Griff.

TT do allow a month's free trial, no doubt as a way of ensuring the service is available to you (though I guess they have no strategy in the case of changing hardware).

Hopefully, if you're polite with TT, they might refund your subscription - it wouldn't be ethical not to.
Griff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info will look into getting the phone unlocked and try another phone company any idea what service will work payandgo + traffic?
KJR
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Griff

I have an O2 MDA Mini s on monthly contract with no problems using TT Traffic. Also my phone came unlocked. I sometimes use the sim card from my work phone in it (vodaphone) with no problems. Before trying to unlock it, see if you can borrow a sim card from a mate from another operater to try first. You may be pleasantly surprised :D

Best of luck

Kevin
rodderstrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an o2 XDA mini with an old upfront for life contract, this doesn't support GPRS, but as I get 200 mins free a month with no contract I keep it. I can still get tomtom traffic to work by using GSM WAP dialup. It dials a number and comunicates by a 9600 modem. Painfully slow for surfing, but as tomtom loads around 10K on each download, it's fine, takes about 10 seconds once connected. To setup
SETTINGS-CONNECTIONS-ADD A NEW MODEM CONNECTION.
Settings are,
Connection name - Mobile Web
Modem - Cellular line
Number +447712932932
User name O2web
Password - password

Be aware though that wap costs 10ppm. If you're surfing on wifi & it loses the wifi signal it can default to WAP (although the screen should prompt that this is happening). If you set the tomtom update period to a long setting it shouldn't cost much.
Griff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tried the wap dial up and it works a treat however topped up with £10 credit updated traffic info 3 times yesterday and its used £8.00 credit 8O does anyone know a payand go provider that will work?
Thanks
griff
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry griff but to get it cheeper youd have to go contract with a gprs bolt on

of have a look at Tmobiles flext packages ive managed to limit my maximum bill with them and i have unlimited web and walk

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: