Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time? Reply with quote

Did 400 miles over the weekend, many mobile locations marked, none had a speedcam. Not one. Probably passed about 10-12 marked locations.

About 50% were plausible places for a mobile trap, and the other 50% ranged from bizzarre (I cant believe there ever was one there) to confusion with ANPR locations (I suspect). There was also a cluster of 3- 4 mobile locations within 1/2 mile on M40 (around J15 IIRC). One location or just sloppy marking?

What is the feeling on these? I suppose over time every police 'hump' on the motorway, bridge, overpass, layby is going to become marked as a mobile location, because there will be a much higher rate of locations added than removed.

I can see the point of adding mobile locations in places like long running roadworks, but for most cases of the van parked in a laybe or on a bridge, it will only be there for a day or two. Is there really any point adding these, because by the time its notified, checked, added, and then downloaded, it will almost certainly have gome somewhere else

In fact, has anyone actually found a mobile speedtrap in a marked location (other than in long duration roadworks)?

BTW, no problems with the other speedcam types, 100% spot on, and yes I know I could omit mobile locations, just wondering what people think,and also idly wondering that if someone, hypothetically, wanted to get a free subscription, they could just send in a mobile camera location. Just pick any motorway bridge.......

Tw
fruit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
About 50% were plausible places for a mobile trap, and the other 50% ranged from bizzarre (I cant believe there ever was one there) to confusion with ANPR locations (I suspect). There was also a cluster of 3- 4 mobile locations within 1/2 mile on M40 (around J15 IIRC). One location or just sloppy marking?

A village close to where I used to live, and still pass through regularly, has at least 5 different locations often used for mobiles and all within the same distance as above - and I have seen them all in action. These range from handheld, tripod mounted and vans.

Quote:
In fact, has anyone actually found a mobile speedtrap in a marked location (other than in long duration roadworks)?

Yes I have
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time? Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:
In fact, has anyone actually found a mobile speedtrap in a marked location (other than in long duration roadworks)
Often, in fact I've had warnings for mobiles that were present in locations I'd previously submitted!

Tumbleweed wrote:
if someone, hypothetically, wanted to get a free subscription, they could just send in a mobile camera location. Just pick any motorway bridge.......
Free subscriptions are not awarded for mobile locations!

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
uptowndisco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often seen the van/car in the mobile locations.
LesP2008
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont get free subscription for mobile sites.
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a fabulous data bank, and all credit to all responsible for making it possible to have advanced warnings of actual or potential traps.
If you don`t like the pocket`s version, then simply delete it from your system and drive at your own peril.
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I suppose over time every police 'hump' on the motorway, bridge, overpass, layby is going to become marked as a mobile location

This is what has happened in France on the Autoroutes, nearly every bridge is listed as a mobile cam,
Went through France to Spain this year, and I turned my cam warnings off in the end, because I got sick of constant wanrnings. I never saw 1 mobile cam.
I dont know how it can be resolved really, because there is always a chance a cam maybe set up at that location.
The police change thier sites regularly, so where a cam is spotted once, it might never be placed there again.
Maybe if people kept a track of the sites they pass often, and if no cam is seen there after a year or so, they could be removed?
Otherwise the speedcam database is going to get massive in a few years time!
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Tumbleweed I found the numerous warnings for non-existent mobile cameras to be more of a hindrance than a help. For me the warnings were becoming far too frequent to be of use and had a 'crying wolf' effect.

Although other uses have had the opposite experience I personally have seen a mobile camera in a site which was being alerted on just one occasion.Even then this was in a site which in over five years of regularly passing, (almost twice daily), the camera was found in situ just once Also despite the fact that this siting was about four years ago the site is still included on the database.
I raised the issue of mobile camera sites sometime ago and asked the question as to whether a minimum amount of sitings over a set period of time is needed before inclusion in the database but didn't receive an answer. If I knew that each mobile location had seen regular use rather than just an occasional siting then I'd certainly take more notice.

For me the answer was to delete all mobile sites from the database before uploading.Although I now only get warnings of known fixed cameras I find this to be much more effective.
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you all above the law?
Are there no speed limits signs along the roads you travel?

Maybe if all you speed freaks kept to the speed limit, you wouldn`t have this problem in the first place!
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:
Are you all above the law?
Are there no speed limits signs along the roads you travel?

Maybe if all you speed freaks kept to the speed limit, you wouldn`t have this problem in the first place!

So we can guess that you are always within the law, never ever speed, not even by 1mph? Never fail to indicate at a roundabout/junction, always ensure your car is 100% roadworthy, never tailgate, never change lanes eratically? If you say you are within the law then you are lying. How do I know this? Because you are human. Not 1 single person could ever be 100% within the law while driving.

Steve
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Speedcams - Mobile locations a waste of time? Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:

What is the feeling on these?

I have only been using the database for a couple of weeks and also feel that the mobile part of the database is rubbish. There are 2 locations near me where police often sit (on-slips onto the A92, Kirkcaldy bypass). These have been submitted as mobile traps. Ok, some may say that police will sit a car and point out a radar/laser gun out of the window but not at these locations. I have only ever seen them sitting there waiting for someone to drive past on the main road so they can actually follow and do it the old-fashioned way. Also seen a couple of locations where it would be impossible to actually site a van/car/tripod but funnily enough there is a trafficmaster lamp-post there!!!!

I also use a snooper S5, which gives warnings of "riskzones". These locations are much much more plausable (i have seen talivans there) or they have been uploade from police forces websites.

Our local camera partnership has had small parking stances built on a couple of roads where it was impossible to park their vans previously safely. These locations arnt on the database.

I dont preach to be an expert on speed cameras and talivans, but having read the ACPO guidelines to there use and deployment it makes me see that a lot of the locations in the database are false or only ever used once and never again. The whole of the road network may as well be given a POI for a mobile speed trap as thats what it is coming to.

Steve
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it this is a true reflection of your driving?
I`m glad I`m not on the same road as you.
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The law is the law.
If a moblie camera notification was not inserted in the next upgrade, and you were done for speeding, I believe there is a phrase that might be apt.

If only...too late.
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rest my case.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:

You have absolutely no idea of how or at what speed I or anybody else on this forum choose to drive. Consequently it's not a particularly good idea to be making ridiculous comments based on a complete lack of knowledge.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: