Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mitac Mio 168 vs Acer N35
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mitac Mio 168 vs Acer N35

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Mitac Mio 168 vs Acer N35 Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone advise whether or not a Mitac Mio 168 is generally considered to be a better buy over an Acer N35 (full edition) or vice versa.

I'm interested in buying one of these but am not sure which one is generally considered a better buy. I understand that these two PocketPC/GPS use completely different navigation/map software.

Primary use would be as a GPS rather than PocketPC. The option to install a Camera Database would be a plus.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Best Regards.

http://www.itx-weather.co.uk
shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would go for the Mio 168 has it has a slightly more powerfull processor, Also the Destinator 3 navigation is Sh*t, And CoPilot is quite popular so would assume that CoPilot is better. I had an Acer N35 the PDA itself was ok but the navigation software itself was crap rather than telling me to turn left it would sometime's tell me to turn right! Also it used to take about 20 min to get a satelite fix as well. In the end I ended up buying TomTom 5 which worked very well on the Acer N35, It only took a few min to get a satelite fix and in general worked very well although I also decided to buy an external antenna as the reception was ok but wasn't brilliant and the external antenna's are cheap enough at under £15. One of my friends have a Mio 168 and he say's it's brilliant(He also runs TomTom 5). These are quite old now and I would suggest that you opt for something more upto date unless your on a tight budget. For instance TomTom 5 works on both these PDA's but TomTom 6 which is to be released soon has dropped support for both these device's so take into consideration that Copilot and Destinator may also have dropped support or may soon drop support for these products. So basically if you wanted to update your maps you may not beable to in the future. If you mainly want to use the GPS side of a PDA why not consider an All-in-One Device which in genaral perform alot better as they are only used for the purpose of Navigation.
wildcrewe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my Mitac 168 for 18 months & have been running TT3 on it with no problems , I have just upgraded to TT5 & found it a little slower to pick up the sats but once picked up the system is better than TT3.I also have pocketgps speed camera database installed & it works like a dream.
Hope this helps.
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shauneco wrote:
I personally would go for the Mio 168 has it has a slightly more powerfull processor, Also the Destinator 3 navigation is Sh*t, And CoPilot is quite popular so would assume that CoPilot is better. I had an Acer N35 the PDA itself was ok but the navigation software itself was crap rather than telling me to turn left it would sometime's tell me to turn right! Also it used to take about 20 min to get a satelite fix as well. In the end I ended up buying TomTom 5 which worked very well on the Acer N35, It only took a few min to get a satelite fix and in general worked very well although I also decided to buy an external antenna as the reception was ok but wasn't brilliant and the external antenna's are cheap enough at under £15. One of my friends have a Mio 168 and he say's it's brilliant(He also runs TomTom 5). These are quite old now and I would suggest that you opt for something more upto date unless your on a tight budget. For instance TomTom 5 works on both these PDA's but TomTom 6 which is to be released soon has dropped support for both these device's so take into consideration that Copilot and Destinator may also have dropped support or may soon drop support for these products. So basically if you wanted to update your maps you may not beable to in the future. If you mainly want to use the GPS side of a PDA why not consider an All-in-One Device which in genaral perform alot better as they are only used for the purpose of Navigation.

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I'm on quite a tight budget. Would you consider a factory refurbished Acer N35 with all originally supplied accessories a reasonable buy for £136.30 including VAT and postage?.
I've used Destinator 3 before now and wasn't that impressed with the functionality of the software however am interested to hear that this can be replaced with TomTom 5. Any ideas where the cheapest source is for TomTom 5 and how much it'll cost?. Do you know whether or not the pocketgps speed camera database can be installed on an Acer N35?.

Regarding an All-in-One Decide can you make any recommendations at all please?.

Thank you.

itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildcrewe wrote:
I have had my Mitac 168 for 18 months & have been running TT3 on it with no problems , I have just upgraded to TT5 & found it a little slower to pick up the sats but once picked up the system is better than TT3.I also have pocketgps speed camera database installed & it works like a dream.
Hope this helps.

Hi, Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated. There's a Mitac 168 on eBay (probably loads on there but not searched as such) however the retailer doesn't seem to be very forthcoming in answering questions such as whether or not all of the original accessories are supplied and what sort of warranty they provide with the unit which is a shame. Any idea's how much a Mitac 168 is worth?.

Thank you.

Best Regards.

itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Can anyone advise whether or not a Navman Pin 570 is considered a good buy compated to a Mitac Mio 168 and an Acer N35 (on a tight budget)?.

Thank you.
Best Regards.

shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itxweather wrote:
shauneco wrote:

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I'm on quite a tight budget. Would you consider a factory refurbished Acer N35 with all originally supplied accessories a reasonable buy for £136.30 including VAT and postage?.
I've used Destinator 3 before now and wasn't that impressed with the functionality of the software however am interested to hear that this can be replaced with TomTom 5. Any ideas where the cheapest source is for TomTom 5 and how much it'll cost?. Do you know whether or not the pocketgps speed camera database can be installed on an Acer N35?.

Thank you.

Yes that's a good price for the Acer N35 I payed £250 for mine a year ago. you can get TomTom Navigator 5 from here for £99.98 http://www.handnav.co.uk/product_details.php?id=494 You'll have to be quick as TomTom Navigator 6 is due out and alot of the shops have sold out of TomTom Navigator 5, And yes you can use the Pocketgps speedcamera database with Acer N35 with TomTom Navigator 5.
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shauneco wrote:
itxweather wrote:
shauneco wrote:

Thank you.

Yes that's a good price for the Acer N35 I payed £250 for mine a year ago. you can get TomTom Navigator 5 from here for £99.98 http://www.handnav.co.uk/product_details.php?id=494 You'll have to be quick as TomTom Navigator 6 is due out and alot of the shops have sold out of TomTom Navigator 5, And yes you can use the Pocketgps speedcamera database with Acer N35 with TomTom Navigator 5.

Hi, Thank you for your reply. The Acer N35 that i've found is a factory refurbished unit and i'm now wondering whether or not a Navman PIN 570 is a better buy. Approximately £30.00 more for a brand new unit with a full manufacturers warranty. Didn't really want to buy TomTom 5 in addition to an Acer N35 or Mitac Mio 168 but if these maps are highly recommended I guess that i'll have to give buying them some serious consideration (whilst they're in stock as you've said). Thank you for the link. Much appreciated. Should I decide to keep my order for an Acer N35 i'd like to think that it's powerful enough to run TomTom 5 and the Pocketgps speed camera database. I'd like to use an SDIO WLAN card for checking e-mail via hotel WiFi access points do you know if the Acer N35 works alright with SDIO WLAN cards?. The SDIO WLAN card functionality is not of much concern though as i'd like to use either a Mitac Mio 168, Acer N35 or Navman PIN 570 as a GPS mostly.

Thank you for your comments.

itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shauneco wrote:
itxweather wrote:
shauneco wrote:

Thank you.

Hi, Regarding TomTom 5 is the following product different from the one that you'd mentioned or is this what's needed to add TomTom 5 onto an Acer N35 or Mitac Mio 168 PocketPC/GPS?.

http://www.handnav.co.uk/product_details.php?id=13

Thank you.
Best Regards.

shauneco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes should work with Acer N35 as the SD Card/MMC card Slot is also an SDIO slot but not 100% sure, The Navman PIN maybe a good alternative. The Acer N35 was ok and worked quite well with TomTom 5 although it was quite slow at time's. You can also use the MMC card supplied with the Acer N35 to store TomTom maps on although you will only just fit the UK maps on. If you wanted all the maps on you would have to purchase a bigger SD Card.
itxweather
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shauneco wrote:
Yes should work with Acer N35 as the SD Card/MMC card Slot is also an SDIO slot but not 100% sure, The Navman PIN maybe a good alternative. The Acer N35 was ok and worked quite well with TomTom 5 although it was quite slow at time's. You can also use the MMC card supplied with the Acer N35 to store TomTom maps on although you will only just fit the UK maps on. If you wanted all the maps on you would have to purchase a bigger SD Card.

Hi, Thank you for your reply. From what i've read the Acer N35 does come with an SDIO slot so at a guess a SDIO WLAN card should work on this particular PocketPC/GPS. Not sure whether or not the Mitac Mio 168 or Navman PIN 570 does though. Am finding sourcing a reasonable spec' PocketPC/GPS on a limited budget quite difficult, there seems to be so many models on the market now and i'm not 100% sure what software to opt for. The TomTom 5 software seems to be very highly recommended though. Am concerned that an Acer N35 might not be powerful enough to run TomTom 5 without glitches or being sluggish to operate. Think that the Mitac Mio 168 comes with a little more powerful processor. Does anyone have any recommendations on a budget PocketPC/GPS that can run TomTom5 and the pocketgps speed camera database reliably and without being sluggish at all?. Apologies if another thread should be posted elsewhere but your comments would be appreciated. The Mitac Mio P350 sounds a good bit of kit but this is more expense again. If the additional expense is generally considered worthwhile I guess that it's a good idea to save a little more cash and opt for one of these. Decisions, decisions.

Bought an Acer N35 about 18-months ago. Returned for refund as was problematic. One thing that I did not like on the unit was U-Turns being announced on journeys on a route that did not require turning off at the U-Turns that were being announced. Guess that if another Acer N35 is bought the installation of TomTom 5 would be needed!.

Thank you.
Best Regards.

Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just for your info the acer N35 and PiN570 are essentially the same PDA, some slight differences but nothing much. The main difference is then the software, the PiN has navman Smart ST 2005 which I find works pretty well, Acer has the destinator software or the lite version.

So I would go for the Navman PiN over the Acer if the price is not too different,

Otherwise try looking at the Mio P350 as a further alternative,

ADEK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: