Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dell Axim X51v
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Axim X51v
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Dell Axim X51v Reply with quote

Hi Folks
As my 2210 is beginning to come to the end of the road I have been thinking of a replacement. I have had my eye on the Dell Axim X51v. I see that it uses Windows Mobile T.M 5.0 and a brilliant 3.7 inch colour TFT VGA display and it appears to be quite nifty.
I would like to know if there are any users out there and if so there opinion of it. Not all PDAs run brilliantly with Tomtom.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
nmbaker
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: I love my X51v Reply with quote

Runs Navigator 6 and 5.21 superbly. Have to swap between the two versions as I travel to East Europe as well and the best TomTom map for East Europe is not seen by 6. I like some of the new features of 6, but I am not upgrading all my maps just because of a version change. I like the speed display and ETA function that disappeared a while ago. I do not bother with TTTraffic, or buddies or weather, because I check that beforehand, and The new poi are a lot better, though their accuracy is poorer in this version than last I think. And no, mine isn't a cracked version. It is full function and there is no screen rotator, but with X51v, does not matter in the least. How many other PDA have CF to 8GB and SD slot to 4GB on same unit and run 624MHz?

Yes I thoroughly recommend it. Even Dell support are help, but mostly clueless. They said max size of memory is 2GB - this is rubbish.
TTCams latest 19/05/09 Traffic - live
SDHC 16GB
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be cracked but if it really is TTN6.000 then it is not the version approved for release. Also, was that Eastern Europe map ever sold by TomTom?
FatFreddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have TT5 installed on my Axim 51v and landscape view is really slow, even with latest operating system upgrade
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FatFreddy
Mmm! You don’t inspire confidence in me. However, apart from the Landscape glitch I take it that you are satisfied with the other features?

Nmbaker says that TT5 runs superbly on the Dell.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
FatFreddy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trevor

Had another go with TT5 on landscape and it is definately slower to write the screens, during menu browsing. I never bothered to use it on the road because it was much slower before the operating system upgrade. I just stuck with my trusty ol' 2210, which is much faster and perfectly usable in landscape mode.

I would say the dell is now usable in landscape mode since op sys upgrade, but there is a definate 1 second delay to write the screen browsing menus. Don't know if other people have this problem, and it only happens with Tomtom.

Apart from that the X51v is great, I use it for memory map. I have TT5 running on 2210, and Memory map on the dell when driving. Bit over the top but TT doesn't show you where you are when your driving, so if there is a problem you can't beat a map for checking alternatives. I'm also a certified gadget freak.

I would recommend the dell as a great pda and a good price, not sure what the competition is like at the moment, bought mine in January and at the time it was the only vga/wm5 pda. The build quality id good, screen great, use 4gb cf and 2gb sd cards, very happy with it.

Just bought the 6915 ipaq phone pda, so now have 3 pda's! I've got it bad Smile

Hope this helps, all the best

Fat Freddy
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FatFreddy
My Gawd, you certainly don’t intend getting lost.

I have already ordered the Dell but I too will hang onto my trusty 2210. It has never once let me down and it’s a pity that it has been badly damaged. Anyhow, I will be able to see for myself how TT5 runs next week when I receive the Dell.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
laurie53
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had an X51V for nine months, and it's been nothing but trouble from day one, with minimal, i.e. zero, support from Dell. I have to soft reset about four or five times a day, and that's after the ROM upgrade. It runs TomTom, but not through a CF receiver.

I would use a Filofax before I bought Dell again, and I speak as someone who entered the PDA world with a Psion 3A!!

Laurie
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! S--t. Its just been delivered. After reading the gloomy post from FatFreddy and the even more gloomy post from aurie53 I am now all on edge. I will find out during this coming weekend just what my money has brought me and I will let you know.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
argosafe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know that the X51V will not run a CF card reciever, however all else is OK!
IPAQ 4700
Globalsat Bt 338
Globalsat 337 CF reciever
Navman sleeve
256Mb Kingston CF Card
Lexar 512Mb card
Toshiba 1Gb SD card
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have the Dell Axim X51v up and working and have ran into my first snag.. However, I have been trying to make a Bluetooth partnership between my Dell Axim51v and my BT338 Bluetooth GPS receiver but without success.

With my GPS receiver and PDA turned ‘On’ I have tapped on the Bluetooth icon and up came the box showing the ‘Turn On Bluetooth’ prompt and the ‘Make this device discoverable’ prompt both of which I ticked.

I then tapped ‘Devices’ and then ‘New Partnership’.

The PDA then searches and comes up with a box showing my GPs device which is shown as ?BT-GPS-303EOE. (why the question mark)

I select the ?BT-GPS-303EOE and tap next.

I Enter the passkey 0000 and tap next.

Up comes a box which displays the Device name and a box showing the Serial Port choice.

I then click ‘Finish’ and there is my GPS Device showing but it still preceded by the question mark.
I was able to sort out the Bluetooth on my Ipaq 2210 but this has got me beat.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor, the behaviour is quite normal its a WM2005 device remember? - the yellow question mark is normal, why you have a question mark in the device name is not normal, this is probably a Dell querk - but it shouldn't affect what you are doing. -

Ok so you have now connected to the GPS unit (assuming you selected serial port profile when offered the choice), BUT have you created a new outgoing com port ?

To do this go to the Bluetooth manager and select the Com Ports tab, now select "New Outgoing Port" on the next screen select your GPS unit from the list presented (complete with the question mark if need be), press Next, now you need to select the actual com port you want to use, if you pick one from the list that isn't available just keep trying until it accepts your choice - start at com0 and work upwards until its happy - I can't remember the port settings for the X51V Embarassed Remeber the com port you have set and use that in the GPS software application when setting it up - Hope the above helps - Mike
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike
Thanks for the help. Prior to your advice I had spent fruitless hours trying to get my Dell Axim Bluetooth settings to work. Once I had read your reply to my dilemma I was up and running within 5 minutes. In retrospect it now seemed quite simple but it wasn’t last evening when I sat here all annoyed and wound up (the wife went out and the dog hid under the table).

Ok, TT5 is loaded, Bluetooth is set up and I am about to go out and give the Dell Axim/TT5 a trial run.
Thanks.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks
Just incase anyone is thinking of buying a Dell Axim X51v with WM 2005 but wonders if it will work ok with TT5 the answer is yes. It works brilliantly. My Ipaq 2210 was very good but this Dell using windows Mobile 2005 is even better.

When navigating the view is superb and I have yet to find any snags. I haven’t got round to installing Checkpoint yet but I will do so and hope that Checkpoint runs ok too.

I did get help from mikealder to set-up Bluetooth but that’s what this Forum is all about. When you hit a problem, You are never alone. Pocket GPS World: Forum is only a click away.
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another bit of advice then, I wouldn't bother using CheckPOI with the device it can cause the display to flash which is annoying, use the inbuilt POI warner that is part of TTN5
Go to Change Preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn When Near POI and configure for each camera type you have loaded.
If you find the display re-fresh rate has dropped go to Change Prefences/ Manage POI/ Enable, Disable POI and disable all the camera POIs - you will still get warnings because the "warn when near POI" is a seperate function.
If you you want spoken alerts of the camera speed warnings you will need to swap out the data.chk file which resides in Program Files/ Navigator folder on the device, this file is not on the memory card. There are some pre made warning voice files available from this site HERE or you can use POIExtend to obtain more than the standard 15 warnings upto 30 which is available from THIS site - in either case make sure you get the correct software for your unit - you need to know the version and build - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: