Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How to reinstall the maps on my SD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How to reinstall the maps on my SD card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lostagaininfrance
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: How to reinstall the maps on my SD card Reply with quote

I have VM 4.4 on a pre supplied sd card, but I am having loads of trouble with memory errors etc

Should i try and install the maps again off the CD supplied or just leave and get a TOmTOm Evil or Very Mad

This is a classic case of the goods cant fulfil there product description, Any other ideas chaps.

Zire 31 VM 4.4, 13.9mb of memory free 512 mb SD card with 249mb free
rod_r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: Did you back up the card? Reply with quote

I do not know your situation now. But if you have ever taken a copy of your SD card you can get another 1Gb for about 20UKP and restore.

If the card is not totally wrecked try to copy it to a computer. My method. I eject the card from the handheld and put it into a SD/MMC slot on the computer. Create a folder ?:\...\myvmbackup Then query the sizes of everything. Select everything Ctrl+c (copy) Click on to open myvmbackup and click inside the folder Ctrl+v (paste). Watch for the errors. If it goes through check the sizes in myvmbackup. Then you can delete the files off the card and copy back. DO NOT try to format a card from a pc.

So if something goes wrong, see where you have got to , what has failed (make a note) and where to resume after it. When you have finished the sizes at the destination should match the source with your list of discrepancies.

This will give you the full scope of your problem. And an idea who saveable your card is.

Hope this is posssible for you and if not you manage to get going again cheaply. If you do get going again (even with TT) create a my**backup quickly.

My backup of 5.0 is 621Mb which is not a big issue these days.

If you are short of disk space icy box with a hard disk (or more) gives a world of headroon.
manoman48
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to reinstall the maps on the SD card without a problem from the PC installed software. The only thing you lose is the autostart function when you insert the card.

I recently did it due to memory problems on my Palm Tungsten E2.

Firstly you need to uninstall VM from your Palm, if it was installed from the version on the memory card to begin with. Then install it using the CD software instead. I found a hard reset of the Palm worked well, but you can reinstall it without having to do this.

Then using Mapstore, just select the map area you want exporting (I used a 256MB card so I selected all the UK & Ireland) then just export the map choosing Palm PDA when it comes to it. Then use a card reader to transfer the files it creates to your SD card.

When you first start up VM again it may ask you to select your map from the list (in my case the list of 1) and then it is happy again.

The other side effect was that I could apply the 4.4 patch this way. Previously, although the patch said it had worked, the software version number did not change on my Palm.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: