Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie, desperate help for GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie, desperate help for GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebears
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Newbie, desperate help for GPS Reply with quote

Dear All GPS users, I’m trying to become a user but having hell of a time getting it all to work. The first problems were installing TTN2 on IPAQ2210, this now seams ok, although it is call TTN2(2) on the programmes file.

Secondly I can’t get my new Fortuna Blue tooth Clip on GPS to get a fix, no matter where I put it or what mode it is in it still will not fix, is there any soft reset etc that can be done to help things out? What are the settings for connection, I have selected NMEA 01832v2 38400 and Bluetooth Serial Port Com 8, are these correct as Fortuna is not listed in the list.

Also, playing around with TTN2 the GPS connection keeps popping up, I’m sure I have read a work around for this, but again can’t find it. I want to be able to plan a route in the office then get in the car and connect etc…..If I can get a fix!!!! :-)

As well, I went to contacts, selected the mother in law and go navigate to, it changes the postcode, comes up with the wrong address, not bad, saves going round again, this did put a smile on my face.

Hope you can help and put me in the right direction.

Dale
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why the Bluetooth Manager keeps popping up is you need to select the Bluetooth GPS from this to allow it to work.

Setting TTN2 to NMEA 38400 COM8 is the proper setting, but when you run up TomTom it should come up with the Bluetooth Manager, you should see a ClipOn Fortuna listed, if not click the refresh button at the bottom of the screen. When you see the ClipOn appear, tap it and if it doesn't have a Bluetooth passkey associated with it, you will be prompted to put in a passkey, enter 0000 and tap OK. This should then get it working, if you go into the GPS Status screen within TTN2, then tap the STATUS tab, you should see it acquiring. Make sure you have a good view of the sky, it's no good doing this indoors!

If you want to plan a route offline, in the GPS Status screen (SETUP tab) untick the tick box at the top of the screen.

There is no postcode support in TTN2 for the UK, so it will only use streetname and city, and it may get this wrong depending on how the address is formatted. TTN2 also has some quirks which we identified in our review that means sometimes you can't enter the correct town/city name, sometimes you have to enter the district or political constituency.
thebears
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Still having problems Reply with quote

Dave

Thanks, i have the unit working under ClipOn-BTGPS, i still cant find any reference to Fortuna!! This connection is also NMEA01832 BT Com 8

However, i cant even get to unchech the blue box, it just keeps asking for a connection, even thought the unit is in the car on charge, i want to play with the TTN2 software and set it up.

After a soft reset as the PDA had locked up, with BT manager off, i seletced the GPS icon, the blue checkbox was unchecked. Then i started TTN2 and it turns on the BT, swithces to manager and ask for a connection, however i dont want one!!

I'm sure I'll get to the bottom of this but the BT is anoying!

Regards
Dale Confused
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say the ClipOn is on-charge in the car, have you tried switching it on ? TomTom will when set to point to COM8 will keep bringing up the popup screen for BT Manager, and if you don't have a BT GPS switched on, you won't seeit in the BT Manager screen.

If you want to use TomTom without the BT GPS powered on, then you have to go into START | PROGRAMS | GPS this will throw up the BT Manager screen, tap OK and quickly untick the box. Change the top combo box to TomTom Navigator GPS and the bottom one to COM1 and retick the box. Now goto the Status tab and tap somewhere near the center of the screen and this will exit back to Programs.

Now run TomTom and it won't complain, but you will have to change it back to NMEA 0183v2 38400 COM8 before you can talk to the Fortuna ClipOn.

Basically whenever you have any device pointing to COM8 which is the Bluetooth port, it will always keep firing up the BT Manager to allow you to select the BT device to talk to. It is annoying, there is a registry tweak but not for the faint hearted, and it has worked for some, not for others.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: