Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The National Trust POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The National Trust POI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: The National Trust POI Reply with quote

I am looking for a Points of Interest file for my X-950t for The National Trust (UK). I have found the asc file but when importing using the software provided and checking the device, it finds the POI fine and also lists all the places fine, but when you select a place I get a MapSonic error...

Any ideas?
highwayman212
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glidem

I found that some places on the NT database gave me navigation errors because they are often where the main house is or centre of estate which can be miles from the nearest road. This may be your problem. Try a place with only one house on a road and see if it will find it.

I have over time gone through the database and changed the location to the most likely entrance on the nearest road. Sometimes I have got it wrong and ended up with the private entrance but all the time it will get me close enough to be useful.

I would upload the revised database if I knew I wasn't breaking any copyright laws. I have not altered every single co-ord (just most) so dont know where i stand.
bobmred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi glidem

While highwayman212 could be right, I've found the same problem on my X-950T with every NT, English Heritage, and other PoIs - including one I created myself in the middle of the road outside my house.

Each time I select an imported PoI after a search, I get a 'Fatal Application Error' from MapSonic.

Error code: 0x0000005
Address: 0009B09C

I've reported it to Michelin along with the error code and and am waiting for a reply - which I'll post.

BobM
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that is the exact same error I receive as well, lets hope you get a good answer Smile
bobmred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Update from viaMichelin on imported PoI's Reply with quote

glidem

I have now heard from Michelin.

I assumed that, like me, you followed the advice elsewhere on this forum to change imported file extensions from .ppi to .poi

You do NOT need to do this, and if you do, while you can then see your imported POIs in the POI list, and the icons appear on maps, if you try to navigate to any of them, you get that MapSonic crash.

However, if you leave them as .ppi, they appear (complete with any new categories you chose for them) in the SAVED ADDRESSES list.

And then you can do all the usual stuff - have your categories display or not, set up warnings or not, AND navigate to them.
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh I had renamed the files...

In this case if this works, do I have permission to hug you he he Smile
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works!! and so do other files now I needed. Easy when you know how hey. They could do with sorting this little niggles in a future update.
bobmred
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hugs, please, assuming you're a fella.

The very prospect makes me hesitate to suggest ways to improve TMC reception (your other thread). But I'll take a chance. Just give me a minute and I'll get over there.

BobM
glidem
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I am a fella, it was just to show how pleased I was Smile. Annoying knowing there was a National Trust file available and not being able to use it!

Thanks for all your help, it is appreciated.
rod_r
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Maps 2006 came with POI Reply with quote

The 2006 Map upgrade came with all Michelin POI including nearly every National Trust attraction we have tried to find. But I have to say in early use the software crashed on some POI. Crashes seem to become less of an issue. Navigagtion also took us to a pair of locked gates once. We were south of site when we needed to be west and we guessed anti-clockwise. Advantage is it also has similar POI for all of Europe.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: