Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Discover how the Tele Atlas digital maps are created
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Discover how the Tele Atlas digital maps are created

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Discover how the Tele Atlas digital maps are created Reply with quote

Last week we were invited, along with a number of other journalists, to to a media day with Tele Atlas at Reading. This brought together a number of key personnel from Tele Atlas across Europe with some of their solution partners to highlight the state of the market and the where Tele Atlas is focusing their efforts at expanding and improving their mapping products and services.

We were treated to a mixture of formal presentations, informal chats with the solution providers, and a demonstration of the famous Tele Atlas mapping van.

This article describes what a digital map is, and how Tele Atlas create their database. We also have a short video showing how the mapping vans work on the road.

Click here to read the full article.
Click here to watch the video.
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a matter of interest, did thay have any comments on how main road mapping error occur? The two main one I've reported are where the M20 becomes the A20 at Folkstone, where with my 910 you are directed up onto the roundabout and down the other side rather than go straight on, and the other, which for somebody who doesn't know the area could be dangerous is the eastbound junction of the M25 onto the M26, where the instructions say folow the M25 to Dover and the overhead gantries say M26 Dover. I ust this a lot and I've seen several cars make a sudden move from the M25 nearside lanes over to the M26 outside lane.
kevmac YTY
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the Golden Oldie question asked and ducked again by TeleAtlas: When will they release 100% mapping for the Republic of Ireland?

A friend got an email last November saying that in June 2007 they would release data to hardware companies which, I presume, would take six months to a year to filter down to SatNav owners.

To be honest I got tired of waiting and got myself a Nuvi 670 with Q2 2006 NavTeq maps – stunning GPS and near perfect Ireland maps.
Kol
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Issue with TeleAtlas road name errors Reply with quote

Can anyone ask them why TeleAtlas road names are so full of errors compared to Navteq? Some streets in my area have been here for decades (maybe even centuries!) but still incorrectly named by TeleAtlas. TeleAtlas just ignores my reports, so I presume most other people's reports get ignored too. This is an increasing problem because for some strange reason (perhaps cost?) TomTom and many others have gone with TeleAtlas instead of Navteq. I think there needs to be a strong lobby to make TeleAtlas improve their map data, which is currently quite diabolical in the UK.
beafeater2001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of probably hundreds, if not thousands of people who bought the NEW maps from Tomtom at the end of 2006 and found that they were essentially the same as the previous ones. I speak mainly of the UK map as I haven't, as yet, had the chance to use the European maps.

The same errors are still there despite several reports to Tomtom, I still get told to take the third/second/first exit on the roundabout although the roundabout hasn't been there for a number of years. I still get directed the wrong way down one way streets, I get told to take the next left when there has been a left turn prohibition for several years. Streets that I have reported as not being on the map despite having been in use for 30 years or more are still not on the map and so it goes on.

I, like many others, feel that we have been ripped off by Tomtom and TeleAtlas and are not inclined to part with any more money until we have concrete guarantees that the maps are in fact UP TO DATE.

In fact, I feel that I should get the latest issue totally free of charge to make up for the daylight robbery that the previous maps were.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
until we have concrete guarantees that the maps are in fact UP TO DATE.

How up to date?

Whilst i agree with the comments above about roundabouts that's not been there for years (I'm putting off updating my maps because I've seen how out of date some bits are) but don't forget there has to be a cut off between collection of the data and the processed maps being available for sale.
beafeater2001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
until we have concrete guarantees that the maps are in fact UP TO DATE.

How up to date?

Whilst i agree with the comments above about roundabouts that's not been there for years (I'm putting off updating my maps because I've seen how out of date some bits are) but don't forget there has to be a cut off between collection of the data and the processed maps being available for sale.

I don't disagree with your statement about having a cut off point, that must be generally accepted, but what I find most annoying about TeleAtlas is the way they ignore reported errors year after year and then have the cheek to publish new maps which are no different to the previous issue and charge a small fortune for them. They really must think they are selling to a bunch of idiots who will put up with any old rubbish.

Basically TeleAtlas new maps are just a con and Tomtom don't seem to give a s**t either. Angry
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Teleatlas map updates Reply with quote

If you know they are fake, then you are more the fool to buy them.
beafeater2001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Teleatlas map updates Reply with quote

mrg2003 wrote:
If you know they are fake, then you are more the fool to buy them.

Who said anything about them being fake (borrow my glasses)
but you don't know the content of "new" maps until you buy them and then it's too late.

How about being allowed to just download the updates (existing customers) for a reasonable fee instead of buying new maps which are always going to be at least 99% the same as the previous ones
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the picture you did not see in the first report

theripper

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom/TeleAtlas Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: