Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Whats best !!! Navman or Tom Tom ??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats best !!! Navman or Tom Tom ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leebekier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Whats best !!! Navman or Tom Tom ?? Reply with quote

Ok guys, id ont know if this has been done before but which system is best ??

The NAVMAN 530 or TOM TOM ONE ??

which do you prefer ?
which is more user friendly?

replys just on these machines would be great everyone :D
Ray999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only comment on personal experiance, and prefer NAVMAN products, based on superb reliability. I bought a TOM TOM go from PC World a few years back, and it was faulty out of the box. So I bought a NAVMAN ICN 630 from Networx and it is still going strong (In my 37 year old Morris Minor!).

I just bought a NAVMAN ICN 520 and love it. Adding the Speed Camera Database from this site, turned it into a one unit solution, so I don't even have to use my Road Angel 2 unit now.

TOM TOM units now appear to be more reliable, and users think very highly of TOM TOM products.

My only gripe with the NAVMAN unit is the screen is too reflective, and needs decent quality anti glare screen protectors when used in strong sunlight. Either product will serve you well, so I would base the decision on price and cosmetic preference. The NAVMAN ICN 5x range are very slim, and fit easily into a coat pocket.

Hope this helps.
mandyal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i prefer the tomtom,i'm a truck driver and its amazing.never tried the navman to be honest but you couldn't go far wrong with the tomtom ,there's loads of poi's you can add to it as well as speed cameras and it's easy to use.i wouldn't reccomend anything else.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silly question but why would need a road angel moggy minor Laughing Laughing sorry couldnt resist

try going to halfords pr pcworld a have a play with both units as it a bit like saying whats best white wine or red. for value for mey the navman 530 wins as it come with european mapping

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
silly question but why would need a road angel moggy minor Laughing Laughing sorry couldnt resist

That was cruel - they are now a classic, and will probably still be going strong after the modern car I drive has been recycled!

Not sure about the Navman ICN, but if the software is like the SmartST 2005 on the Navman PiN, that has some nice features such as being able to avoid an area (Now that is a feature I really wish my software had), but after a few days getting to know and configuring the product so that I could show someone how to use it, I can't say that I was over impressed with it. A 'curate's egg' is my best description.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason i fear you maybe right aout the moggy still running after our moderone have been recycled.

ive only had a quick play with smart st i have v1 and that sort of put me off at the routing was terrible (for me anyway), but i beleive that the routeing is much better and nuch more customisable these days

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alix776

I have to confess, that as I was so unimpressed with the interface itself, and the difficulty inputting stops, that I never got as far as to giving what I consider to be the primary function of SatNav, NAVIGATION any consideration. The user interface just got in the way. Never have I had to refer to and re-read a user manual so many times.

I just didn't like it (well apart from the avoid areas and the quality of the spoken instructions voices that is). So near but so far!
DavidHobbs
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer TomTom, and the ONE is a great device. It's very different from the 510 and 910, so take a look at those too.
Ray999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="alix776"]silly question but why would need a road angel moggy minor Laughing Laughing sorry couldnt resist

:D Ah now I better explain, the Road Angel lives in my VW Polo Sport alongside the ICN520 (Belt And Braces Stuff) The old ICN620 is used in my trusty old Moggie Minor. How good are Moggies? Friends BMW gearbox died, cost him thousands to put it right, and three weeks to get the gearbox from Germany. Moggy gearbox died last year, new box arrived next day £400 Inc Shipping. That included a new clutch since I was swapping the gearbox out anyway.

I use the ICN620 in the Moggy for two reasons. The GPS speed reading, is much better than watching the Moggy speedo needle dance about 8O
and some of the classic car shows are in the middle of nowhere!

BTW The Moggy gets 46MPG, Insurance is £50, and Free Road Tax. It also increases in value each year. Plus the Polo feels really quick after driving the Moggy. Mind you, I have a 2 Litre Fiat Twin Cam engine that might get slotted into the Moggy one day :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: