Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I need copy of english computer voice file for GO910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I need copy of english computer voice file for GO910
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianjparr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: I need copy of english computer voice file for GO910 Reply with quote

Can anyone help.
I have a GO910 and I am wanting to use the text to voice for UK street names. However when I go to change preferences; choose voice I don't have selectable option for english UK computer voice only human voice-Jane or Tim (have loads of forgeign computer voices). I don't know if I have accidently deleted the voice file.

The CD that came with GO910 doesn't have copy to reload to device. I aksed Tom Tom Customer support, they told me the voice file is called Kate but they said they couldn't send me file as too big.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't ask for file to be sent to you as it is against the forum rules, IF you had purchased a 910 (as you claim) then you would know the device is NOT supplied with any disks of the type you describe to have!

I also very much doubt it would ba a CD given the fact the TTS speach files are around 4GB in total.

If you want this data I sugest you go and purchase the unit you claim to have - Mike
brianjparr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do resent insinuation that I am some sort of crook. I do own the unit!.I Bought brand new and it is registered with TomTom.Com. I only have had it for 3 days. The box contents contains CD which has voices on it. My device does have many non-uk computer voices, but not the UK english voice.. I don't know why I do not have the UK english computer voice on my GO910. I did delete some of the voices when I was setting it up, I assumed I had deleted this one. I have no idea how big the file size is.

All I was trying to ascertain was if possible to obtain copy of this voice, I didn't realise that there is something so special about this particular voice file, since there are so many available.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do resent insinuation that I am some sort of crook. I do own the unit!.I Bought brand new and it is registered with TomTom.Com. I only have had it for 3 days.

Why not go back to the store you purchased it from, they will be able to help you.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, the units must be shipping with different contents in the box - I got no disks with my unit, did you per chance do the full day one back up of the 910 to your PC as recommended, if so you can re-install the missing files from that, if not I would sugest trying what LP has sugested above, the folder containing this voice is 311MB by the way.

Check for its presence by connecting the 910 to the PC then use Windows Explorer to locate the following TomTom/ LoquendoTTS/ EnglishGb/ Kate in this folder should be seven files. Mike
MKLightning
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did receive a CD with my 910 (I bought it the first week it was out), but it only contains the Home software from what I can tell. So, I imagine a restore from backup is the only option, unless the store can help.

I also just looked at Tom Tom's online store through the Home software, since I did remember seeing voice downloads there. You are able to download Tim and Jane (but you already have those).
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amongst other things the TomTom Home/Manual CD, which is supplied with the 910, does include voices, although as has been said not the computer ones required for TTS.

Maybe it would require 2 disks but in devices costing nearly £500 it has to be asked why doesn't TomTom supply backup CD's as standard.

At present the onus is on the purchaser to make a backup but as this can be done in a variety of ways ie saved to PC, burnt to CD, etc and the backup may found to be not viable (until it's too last) this isn't always a satisfactory solution.
brianjparr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I can confirm, the CD does have voice but not the computer ones for TTS. I did do a back up first day I got it but when I realised that I couldn't select the english UK computer voices - which I believe are called Kate & Simon, I restored from back up using home. However, the Locquendo TTS files were not part of the back-up or restore. I don't know why these aren't part of back-up?, is this a glitch or did I do something wrong?.

When I explore the device and go to Locequendo folder in root dir the english GB folder is there with the dictionarys but not the two folders that contain the voice files. The other language folders have the lanuage dictionarys and the voice folder containing the voice files which are about 200mb+ each.
I have contacted tom tom online and am waiting for a reply, however, I don't hold out much hope. When I telephoned the support line they just said they could not send me the voice files because they are too big.

Since these are such important files why oh why are they not on CD or second CD as suggested.

I bought unit off business seller from ebay (official legit seller!). If I have made error in delete these by mistake then I can't send back to seller.
If TomTom can't help me then I will have to take a drastic step and buy another unit and copy the files from that one then sell that!.
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download jane or tim voice from TT web site
brianjparr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks yes you can but Jane and Tim are human voices and not the computer voices of simon and kate. It is only the computer voices that allow you to use text to speech of Locquendo.

I have just ordered a 2nd unit from amazon. In the end the whole experience will have cost me £60 Crying or Very sad .

PLEASE LEARN FROM MY EXPERIENCE. I WOULD SUGGEST ANYONE WHO BUYS ONE OF THESE UNITS SHOULD COPY THE LOCQUENDO FOLDERS TO THERE HARD DRIVE DIRECTLY AS THESE ARE NOT COPIED AS PART OF ORDINARY BACK-UP Exclamation
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianjparr wrote:

I bought unit off business seller from ebay (official legit seller!). If I have made error in delete these by mistake then I can't send back to seller.

Yes you can - assuming they and you both are in the UK (and that they and their goods really ARE legit!).

They are as much bound by the Sale of Goods Act and the Distance Selling Regulations as every other seller in the UK. They are required to replace (or refund) defective goods in the same way.

If they are not in the UK then it is an object lesson to exercising extreme caution when buying expensive items off ebay.

Suggest you contact them - if they refuse to do anything then lodge a complaint with Ebay and also paypal (if that was what you used to pay them)
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianjparr wrote:
When I telephoned the support line they just said they could not send me the voice files because they are too big.
It might be for the whole collection, but the single Computer Voice would be a smaller download than some of the Maps that can be downloaded from TT.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Quote:
Yes you can - assuming they and you both are in the UK (and that they and their goods really ARE legit!).

They are as much bound by the Sale of Goods Act and the Distance Selling Regulations as every other seller in the UK. They are required to replace (or refund) defective goods in the same way.

If they are not in the UK then it is an object lesson to exercising extreme caution when buying expensive items off ebay.

Suggest you contact them - if they refuse to do anything then lodge a complaint with Ebay and also paypal (if that was what you used to pay them)

If the problem is caused by something you did, in this instance accidently deleting the English computer voices, you cannot send the goods back for a refund, replacement or repair as the goods aren't faulty. The fact that it now longer works or has the functions as it had when it was originally bought is not a fault but is purely down to your own actions.
If, however, the TTS voices were missing when the GPS was delivered and it was described as having them included then there would be a case under misdescriptions.

Although it has been unfortunate for brianjparr he has highlighted a point I was certainly unaware of, and I presume plenty of others, the TomTom Home standard backup doesn't back up the Loquendo TTS voice files.
The fact that he did make a backup as advised in TomTom literature but which also has no mention of TTS computer voice files for them to then refuse to help is pretty poor Customer Service.
m623d
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I also very much doubt it would ba a CD given the fact the TTS speach files are around 4GB in total.

If you want this data I sugest you go and purchase the unit you claim to have - Mike

Typical, jumping to conclusions again and accusing people.

Some people DID recieve a CD with there 910, why not check your facts before jumping in. You mods always think everyone is a criminal until proven otherwise.
Why not apollogise to the guy now you know your wrong?
MELennium
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianjparr wrote
Quote:
PLEASE LEARN FROM MY EXPERIENCE. I WOULD SUGGEST ANYONE WHO BUYS ONE OF THESE UNITS SHOULD COPY THE LOCQUENDO FOLDERS TO THERE HARD DRIVE DIRECTLY AS THESE ARE NOT COPIED AS PART OF ORDINARY BACK-UP

When you do a backup in Home you are asked the following question:

DO YOU WANT TO EXCLUDE MUSIC,PHOTOS AND COMPUTER VOICE FILES FROM THE BACKUP,IN ORDER TO SAVE DISK SPACE?

YES/NO

Make sure when you do your first ever backup that you say NO so that you have the full backup on your computer & then I would copy this full backup to DVD disks for extra safety in case of hard drive failure & making sure they work, then store these disks in a safe place.
Ex. owner TomTom One v.5.420 Map UK v.605
Ex. owner Garmin i3 v.2.7 Map UK V.7

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: