Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PGPSW Speed Cam database now working on C510 & C710!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PGPSW Speed Cam database now working on C510 & C710!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rondun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: PGPSW Speed Cam database now working on C510 & C710!!! Reply with quote

Thought this deserved to be re-posted on its own:

jilldris wrote:
I tried this tool with my C510.
http://rapidshare.de/files/26669141/POIUpdate.zip.html
With that I was successful with removing miomaps speedcamera database and creating a new one with swedens speedcameras from asc-files downloaded from www.poidatabase.se.
Has tried it a few days and it seems to work great! Has anyone else tried it?
The program is translated to Italian, French and Norweigan.

If you understand norweigan you can read more here.
http://www.gps.no/mbbs2/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25978&posts=4

//Jilldris

Tried this and it works on my C710 too, warnings appear correct, but there is a lack of cams in my area to test the differences in mio vs PGPSW databases properly - maybe others can confirm.

Jumping With Joy

PS - maye someone more knowledgable can explain the difference between the speedcams.mtc and the poiupdates.upd file?
Anyway, who cares - it seems to work!
rondun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, BTW - there is a disclaimer in there about using miosync after this upgrade, since it might cause damage to MIO's online database ( and maybe the one on your machine) - so better delete that miosync (unles you're Really hacked off with Mio not responding to your emails etc) :D

Yay!
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rondun.

I would be seriously interested in trying this out.
However my knowledge of French, Italian & Norwegian are somewhat limited.
I have plenty of cameras near me to test this out, although I think we already know who's database is the best. :D
Looks like this is the type of programme we've been waiting for, if only I could understand it. Embarassed
Any help here (in English) would be truly appreciated by myself (and no doubt countless others).

CeeJay.
rondun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ceejay-

I couldn't understand it either - i ended using an online french translater, plus a little bit of the force to make it work! - its not hard to figure out anyway

The language textfiles in the config folder seem to drive the software so if someone who can translate any of those into english would be very much loved on this forum!

Anyway what I did (I'm not at home so this is all from memory so may not be 100% hence the ?'s) -

Get the asc files like jilldris mentioned from the good folks here at PGPSW. I used the ones sorted into categories.

Unzip them into the relevant folder - pdi? I think. They should then appear on the right hand side when you start up the programme if you did it right.
Move them to the left with the arrows ie gatso to gatso, redlight to redlight etc.

Hit the big button at the bottom (MAJ base?) and wait - a while (Make some coffee). Thats it!

A new file should appear if its worked - pioupdates.upd.
Bluetooth it to the mio - into miomaps/miomtc? there should be another file in there speedcams.mtc - delete that, start miomap.
Et voila - robert est votre oncle!

Enjoy! If its not exactly right I'll try and post the changes later.
Wink Ron
rondun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops forgot Embarassed

there's a pull down box in there somewhere too, where you must select united kingdom from the list.

I can't wait to get home and try this again - it was late last night and i was tired when i tried it - I'm hoping now it wasn't all a dream!!
rondun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPS -

as always - BACKUP any files on your mio before you overwrite / delete them.

and please don't blame me if you break it!

CoPilot
Police

Ron
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see that there is a way of getting the PGPSW database into the Mio 510/710. I will try it myself why I have a bit more time. In the meantime can I just offer a word of caution.
The main camera database in the Mio is called speedcams.mtc. There is also one called poiupdates.upd which is meant to be a temporary holding place for new cameras that you manually enter or delete on the device. When you perform a 'sync' operation these entries are sent to Mio, and combined with your main speedcams.mtc file. The poiupdate.upd file is then cleared.
From what you are saying, the procedure doesn't create a proper permanent file, only an update file which isn't intended for that purpose. Obviously it's working OK, but having imported the PGPSW camera list into the update file you should be careful never to do an online 'sync'. If you do so you will be sending the entire camera list to Mio for possible publication to other Mio users. I would expect this to be a breach of the terms of your use of the data. It may also discourage Mitac from properly addressing the import issue, if their database is kept updated to PGPSW standards for free by its users.

Sal
rondun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sal-

That would explain the disclaimer I mentioned earlier - but if this works properly, we need never use miosync again!

I suggest anybody wanting to do this, do what I did and REMOVE MIOSYNC FROM YOUR COMPUTER - this should stop any accidental uploads reaching Mio and breaching PGPSW copyright.

The files Sally refers to are in the miomap\miotc\pois\ folder (I didn't quite get it right - but I'm sure all you clever people figured that out!)

You need to quit miomap before you can delete miomap.mtc and copy over poiupdates.upd.
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rondun wrote:

Get the asc files like jilldris mentioned from the good folks here at PGPSW. I used the ones sorted into categories.

This is probably a stupid question, but what are the asc files and where can I get them here on PGPSW?
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Translation from French

Pour créer votre base de radars à jour, vous devez:
To update your camear database:

1) Disposer de vos fichiers de radars au format .ASC (RF-xxx.asc, RM-yy.asc,...)
You need camera location files in .ASC fomat

2) Déposer ces fichier dans le sous-répertoire ''Pdi''
Copy the .ASC files into the "pdi" folder

3) Lancer le programme *Miomap_v3__autovelox_updater.exe*
Launch Miomap_v3_autovelox_updater.exe

4) sélectionner le Pays où sont situés les radars
Select the countries where the cameras in your databases are

5) Ajouter vos fichiers de radars dans les différentes catégories (Fixe, Mobile,...)
Add your camera files in the different categories

6) Cliquer sur *MAJ Base*, et patienter jusqu'au message de fin de mise à jour
Click on MAJ Base and wait till the end of the update

7) Fermer le programme et copier le fichier de radars ''POIUpdates.upd sur votre GPS
Dans : \storage card\miomap\miotc\pois\

Close the programme down and copy the POIUpdates.upd file to your GPS
in :\storage card\miomap\miotc\pois\

8) Supprimer le fichier SPEEDCAMS.MTC qui n'est plus nécessaire dans ce répertoire
Delete the SPEEDCAM.MTC file which is no longer required

9) Ouvrir Miomap, vérifier que les alertes radars sont activées, et commencer votre voyage en toute tranquilité !
Launch Miomap, check that the new cameras are loaded and have a nice trip![/i]

-----------------------------
REMARQUE :
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SVP, ne pas effectuer de synchronisation (MIOSYNC) sur le site de miotech avec ce fichier présent
sur votre GPS. Vous risquez en effet de corrompre la base mise en ligne par Mio Technology

Note

Please do not sync with the mio website with this file in your unit. You may corrupt Mio Technology's on-line camera database
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palexr wrote:
6) Cliquer sur *MAJ Base*, et patienter jusqu'au message de fin de mise à jour
Click on MAJ Base and wait till the end of the update

I think they actually mean the button called "Lag database"
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rondun.
Thanks for the information.
I will certainly give this a go.
I think there should be a warning issued to all who try this, as both the software developer, rondun and Sallyann point out.
DELETE MIOSYNC BEFORE YOU START (yes I am shouting. Laughing Out Loud).
Anyway this is certainly what I've been waiting for. :D
Many thanks to rondun.

To Palexr.
ASC is the file extension, same as .csv, .doc, etc.
I think it's an abbreviation for ASCII. (I may be wrong on this).
If my memory serves me correctly from my days of programming automated machinery I think it stands for 'American Standard Code for Information Interchange'.
But we don't need to know that as long as it works. :D
To get the .asc files from PGPWS, go to
Download cameras (left hand column of this page)
Sat Nav system (drop down box)
Select Other
Continue
Camera selection (drop down box)
UK Speed Zoned Complete ASC (24 Files).

Hope this helps.

My thanks to palexr for the translation. This arrived as I was typing the above.

CeeJay.
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks CeeJay. I got round to what they were - eventually.

I have gone through their procedure to convert the .asc files and it was straight forward. I haven't put the file onto the c710 yet though so can't comment on if it actually works.

There appear to be some file in the pdi folder already
no_40 to no_80, not entirely sure what they are.
rondun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ceejay-

No problem.
I don't know if you even need to use the database with the 24 files, as the regular one with just gatso, mobile etc seem to have the speeds stored in the ascii file. Might be a little bit easier.
I didn't want to change anything since it was working ok- let me know how you get on.

Alex -

About Maj / Lag button etc:

If you replace the language.txt file in the config folder with the relevant one from the sub-folder you can have it in french, italian etc.

And if you could translate the rest of that french language.txt file we could have it English too Wink! (I'll post an updated English language file somewhere if anybody can PM me a translation)
I don't know what no_40, no_80 etc are for I just ignored them.
Palexr
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rondun wrote:
Alex -

About Maj / Lag button etc:

If you replace the language.txt file in the config folder with the relevant one from the sub-folder you can have it in french, italian etc.

And if you could translate the rest of that french language.txt file we could have it English too Wink! (I'll post an updated English language file somewhere if anybody can PM me a translation)
I don't know what no_40, no_80 etc are for I just ignored them.

rondun,

yep, MAJ / Lag got me a bit confused till I understood that MAJ stads for Mise A Jour - Update - Doh!

Anyway, I have translated the French file and have saved it. I can PM it to you.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: