Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Brodit mount, professional fit?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Brodit mount, professional fit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royalty
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Brodit mount, professional fit? Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm waiting on delivery of a Brodit active mount, with cable for hardwiring, for my 2210 to fit in a new Astra Convertible. My question is though, just how easy is it to wire into the car (the same also for the TT2 Bluetooth power cable)?

I'm really unsure about tackling this myself for worry of doing any damage to the dashboard/facia for the car. Is this something that car audio retailers can do for a reasonable price? I'd rather not go back to Vauxhall who are sure to charge an extortionate price. Any suggestions on getting it fitted professionally gratefully received!

Cheers!
jellied
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is so easy - I was sh*t scared myself of doing it, but it was really was so very very easy. I have a Vauxhall Zafria, and whilst I would not say our cars were the same, I should think the technique for fitting the device is the same.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find your local Vauxhall garage will not undertake such work as it invalidates your warranty, if you have any left that is. Sure, the mount will be easy to fit, especially if you have a Smartclip or Proclip, but wiring into the cars electrical loom should only be done by a professional. Try your local car audio dealer, which is what I did, who will be happy to wire in power to your receiver (I'm assuming you're using an external bluetooth type receiver of course). Remember, the power to your PDA needs to be from the cigarette lighter plug because this has a circuit board in it which amongst other things brings the 12v supply down to a level which won't fry your device.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not entirely true, the cigar lighter power feed is no different to any other 12v circuit, the only difference is it is usually switched on the accessory ignition circuit so is not 'live' when the ignition is off.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh right. My Golf Mk IV has power to the lighter socket all the time. I also heard that some people have had problems with a 12v feed to the PDA. Most are 5v aren't they?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed no PDA I know of can use a 12v external supply!

The thing to remember is that the voltage reduction from 12v to 5v (or whatever your brand of PDA requires) is performed either in the cigar lighter plug on the PDA specific power cable that you have bought or (in the case of the newer Brodit mounts that are designed for hard wiring) in the mount itself.

You should NEVER cut off the cigar lighter plug and hard wire direct into the car's 12v electrical circuit as you risk frying your PDA if it expects 5v and you feed it 12v Sad
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren, I thought that's what I said! Question
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have misunderstood you but you said that 'some people have had problems with a 12v feed to the PDA'. Everyone would have a problem if they fed 12v directly into a PDA!

Others have not realised that there is voltage reduction cicuitry in the cigar lighter charger cables and have cut off the plug in order to hard wire into the vehicle power supply with dire results!

Sorry if my reply came across as a lecture, I was just making sure that neither you nor anyone else fries their kit Thumbs Up
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got slightly crossed wires I think Darren. I was saying exactly what you said, or was trying to. When I said some people may have had problems with a 12v supply direct to a PDA, it was down to reading on another site that some PDA's are spec'd at 12v and hence would be fine. I can't think of one though.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: