Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GlobalSat BT-359 SiRFIII Bluetooth GPS receiver review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GlobalSat BT-359 SiRFIII Bluetooth GPS receiver review
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: GlobalSat BT-359 SiRFIII Bluetooth GPS receiver review Reply with quote

The BT-359W and the BT-359W are the next generation in the GlobalSat range of Bluetooth GPS devices. Sharing the same technology they differ only in the design of the casing.

GlobalSat have been amongst the frontrunners in the manufacture of Bluetooth GPS receivers from the day they launched the legendary BT-308. The second generation GlobalSat BT-338 Bluetooth GPS set the standard by which other bluetooth GPS devices are measured.

Previous GlobalSat GPS receivers worked wonderfully but were not exactly pleasing on the eye. This changed with the award winning BR-355 and now the new BT-359W and BT-359S Bluetooth receivers have had some thought put into the design of the outer casing as well as the internal electronics...

How do the GlobalSat BT–359W and BT-359S GPS receivers shape up? click here to read on and find out...

Last edited by MikeB on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:50 am; edited 1 time in total
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Just to confirm that we have now received our second delivery of the above items (the first sold out before it arrived!).

We have both the Globalsat BT-359S and Globalsat BT-359W in stock and available for delivery.

Tel: 0871 7000 156
Globalsat UK Distributor
BJB
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Thanks for another excellent review. It must be great to play with all these new toys. Something else to add to my wish list.

Regarding the photos of the receiver in the car :- what sat nav is in the picture, it looks a very neat set up?

On a more frivolous note does it come with the 'animal'? It seems to be taking a keen interest.

Bryan (bjb)

TomTom Start 20 with UK & Ire maps
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bryan,

The Satnav in the picture is actually TomTom Navigator running on my O2 XDA Exec in a Hands Free holder from GPSforLess with a Brodit mount ing system. Btw the car is a Toyota Supra AeroTop import...

As for Leo. He is a gift from a friend, If you look back at some of my early GlobalSat reviews you will also see his friend Herbie.
electricdemon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought oen the other day...Amazing device. Previously I owned a Rikaline x50 thing I bought off ebay.

I didnt think that the GPS receiver made any difference, but the GlobalSat comes out on top in all my tests. It even works inside my glove compartment in my car (where I keep it, away from prying eyes). :D
donka
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one of these GPS receivers a week ago and I love it - it's a big improvement on my BT-308 which has served me well - the sensitivity of the new 359 is what I needed over the 308.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure my 359 only came with a 1100mAh battery even though the two reviews I have read of this show a 1300mAh battery. Can anyone else confirm this? I'll need to double check when I get home tonight as I don't have it with me just now.
agardk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: GlobalSat BT-359 SiRFIII Bluetooth GPS receiver review Reply with quote

Mike, nice review but I don't ubnderstand this quote:

"GlobalSat has responded with a receiver that in my opinion is better than the BT-338 in all aspects with the exception of battery power"

All respects? As far as I can tell, from everything I've read aboy the device, it IS basically a BT-338. with pretty much the same preformance,
in a new case with a less powerful battery. So other than the new form factor (admittedly nice) and mini USB power port (not necesserily a plus for those of us already using 4mm for many other devices), in exactly what "aspects" is this devide better than the BT-338?

Performancewise, I would think them nearly indentical. Performance is, after all, the real indicator. Is the rest not more or less fluff?
gibbo1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received one of these, any idea on how to get the GPSInfo program running with Win XP? It seems to want to communicate via a COM port, yet whenever I plug it in via USB, no COM ports are added to the system...

Are there any other good free utilities for this device?
sconde
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, can anibody explain how can i switch my BT-359W to my pocket qtek9100 with a tom tom?
Sorry my bad english...
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gibbo1 wrote:
I just received one of these, any idea on how to get the GPSInfo program running with Win XP? It seems to want to communicate via a COM port, yet whenever I plug it in via USB, no COM ports are added to the system...

Are there any other good free utilities for this device?
The mini USB is used for charging only. To use the GPS with a PC you need to connect via Bluetooth.
gibbo1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers, I got the GPS Info program working via bluetooth com port. Is WAAS/EGNOS enabled by default? I just tried switching it on and off via GPS Info and the HDOP was 1.1, PDOP 2.0, both values were pretty much the same with it on and off
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that by default it is off.

Even when it is on you will not always get a corrected position. It will depend on whether the WAAS satellite can be seen or not.
knutte
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Bluetooth 2.0 vs. 1.1 ? Reply with quote

Since the GLOBALSAT BT359S have BT 2.0, will it communicate with older 1.1-equipment ?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has worked with all the BT devices I have tried including phones and older PDAs. I think that it should be backwards compatible with 1.1.
knutte
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks a lot for quick answer. Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: