Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Software to test nmea output
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Software to test nmea output

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NikTheGeek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:57 pm    Post subject: Software to test nmea output Reply with quote

Hi, is there any freeware I can get for PC and PocketPC that will test the output/connection of a GPS system? My iNFORAD has a nmea ouput, but before I spend any money on software, I want to make sure it works. Particularly on my Acer N30 PocketPC - I have the connection to the iNFORAD working ok, but in the case of the PocketPC it says it's an unknown device.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any ideas or advice...

Nik
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winfast Navigator works. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=8
NikTheGeek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, I've downloaded it but the pocket pc's sync cable is at work so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to try it! Sad

Cheers,
Nick
NikTheGeek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It didn't work Sad
The Acer N30 still prompts for a driver when I connect the iNFORAD and Winfast navigator doesn't see it - I selected COM7 (USB) as the Acer has an active USB port and the iNFORAD is USB.

Any ideas???

tnx, Nick
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick,

I thought the Inforad had a serial port connection that created a virtual USB port via the Inforad lead. If you try to connect the Inforad unit to any PC with a normal USB lead it doesn't recognise the device either. I have connected my Inforad via the Inforad lead to my Compaq laptop running Microsoft AutoRoute 2002 and whilst AutoRoute 2002 does not act as a navigation program the Inforad output did tell AutoRoute where I was so the output does work.
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just checked the Windows XP hardware manager and the Inforad appears in the ports list as: Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port ( Com4 ) on my machine. It does not appear in the USB port list. Hope this helps.
NikTheGeek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using the iNFORAD's own usb lead as my Acer pocket pc has a standard (active) usb port on it - one of the very few hand helds that do.

Unless of course I should have selected something other than USB from the software if the lead isn't really a usb lead...

I've never had a gps anything before so I'm working in the dark really Sad

Nick
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the Inforad communicates with the PC via a serial port and the lead is basically a serial lead modified to fit into a USB socket because some new PC's do not have serial sockets. I have never had a PDA but your Acer manual should say if your's has got a serial port.
caravanj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, the Inforad lead istalls itself as a virtual serial port but I'm not sure if you need an existing actual serial port on the PC for the installation to work.
BruceH
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at my old post on how I connected an Inforad to a Ipaq pocket pc to run with TomTom, might help explain. http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=20638&highlight=inforad
Basically the output from Inforad is serial data and the lead converts it to USB ( there is a chip buried in the inforad lead which is why you cannot connect an Inforad to a PC using a standard usb cable)
The data is standard NMEA but appears to be inverted. I do not know of any software fix, I built a small hardware converter.
Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: