Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lairdie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Nuvi with GTM 12 or 10 Reply with quote

I have th e 300 and 310 and both work in the car with the GTM 10 and/or 12. I have however noted that the aerial position is sensitive. I have a heated windscreen and have found the best location is vertically as much as possible about 1 to 2 inches from the pillar.
By the way the power supply has a led indicator that indicates red when suppling power and green when not or open circuit..
Personally very impressed with the kit although traficmaster seem a bit slow.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 2pence worth Reply with quote

Nikeboy wrote:
surely my problem cannot be related to signal strength around that neck of the woods.
Oh, it can be Smile

Quote:
Are Trafficmaster and RAC live (as listed on my Garmin) the same thing?
In simple terms, yes. Trafficmaster and a couple of other companies partner together to provide the RAC Live service.
Nikeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, to sum up then the area of the UK most likely to be subject to trafic jams on a daily basis is somewhere you're least likely to get notified about.

ZOINKS!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, err, yes Smile

It's not all of the M25 that has bad signal, but certainly the North Western section isn't good (with a GTM12).

Mind you, I don't need to rely upon a traffic module to tell me to avoid the M25 Smile
etaf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lairdie - check the serial number of the PSU - I had one thatwas green / red - had it changed as it was one of the poor units for TMC and now only get a red led if connected or not and getting a much more reliable signal - although i travel from Slough M4J6 to Leatherhead J9M25 and have found on some mornings i get no signal at all - but on the way home I do get signal all the way !!!!!! strange

Although this week the M25 has been terrible, but only because my freeway traffic master tells me ...
SteveyB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having kept an eye on the concerns of this forum for sometime I opted for the Nuvi660 expecting a much better TMC performance. Not the case! The TMC performance on the Nuvi660 is exactly the same as everyone is reporting for 300 and 310. The performance is equaly as useless around the M25.
I think this goes a long way in demonstrating that signal strength is the major issue. It seems that the all the Nuvis would certianly benefit from an external TMC antenna as I see Tom Tom have done!

Has anyone had a go at using an external antenna yet?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got any urls for the TomTom external antenna - I thought their unit didn't support an aerial connection either?

Some of the M25 is certainly a bad spot for TMC.

A couple of people on these forums have connected a GTM12 / GTM21 to their car aerial, and reported improved results.
Nikeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: FM Table Reply with quote

Does anyone know what you shoud be seeing in the FM Table?

Currently I'm sporadically seeing "RAC Live" come up but most times it's empty.

Also, what are the inidcators on the GMT settings e.g. N-Sync?

I thought they were an American boy band?

Nikeboy
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect to see "RAC Live" in the Nuvi FM Table (and have done many times).

There are a whole range of values on that page which mean various things to various people - I have a fairly good understanding of what you see for each value, but I wouldn't worry about the Nsync value - only the "Level"
emmanueld
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unfortunately, I can report that I have the same problems with a brand new Nuvi 660. I bought it less than a week ago. From the first time I used it, I noticed that the Traffic info was extremely unpredictable. Went from London to Bristol, I had only info for 5 minutes. I came back from Bristol to London and it worked fine most of the time.
I've just noticed that it seems to be working fine at the begining of each trip (i.e. the first 5 or 10 minutes.) Then, it is completely unpredictable. (i.e. no information for a while, then an update for 5 minutes, then maybe nothing for hours).
If I am correct, it is a GTM21, i.e. one shared cable for the GPS and the GTM. The light is either green or yellow / orange. Yellow meaning no traffic update, Green being all okay.
It is very frustating, and I can't find any "official" information from Garmin. To me, this is completely unacceptable!!!
I am thinking about briging it back to the shop, but I don't like the TT910 as it is too bulky.
BoutTime
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: TMC Fine For Me! Reply with quote

Hi, Don't know if this helps clarify anything for anyone but my 360T arrived today and the TMC seems to work fine! At one point I had to scroll through a whole page to view all the alerts. Some were for over 200 hundred miles away unless I'm misunderstanding what they're saying. I have a 1 series BMW, attach the unit on the dash and run about two thirds of the TMC aerial along the bottom of the windscreen. It's the first Sat nav i've bought as my 3 series had it built in. But this unit is about 500 times better! I was a bit concerned after reading some of the comments but it does everything it's supposed to do and even better than I had hoped. The power supply ends in 6025.
And it works great as a hands free unit for my N80 and it's tiny! My only question would be how to connect it to the stereo and have it mute the music when it tells me something. I have an ipod input connector built into the car but then you have to select 'aux' to have it work. Then you can't play CDs or listen to the radio.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the AUX connector in my car, and simply play mp3 files from the Nuvi, and let it control the music, the navigation and the handsfree. I'm not sure it's possible to connect the Nuvi via any available "Telephone" type input to achieve what I think you are asking for.
BoutTime
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i'm not sure if it's possible either. It's just that I read that you can have the sound through the stereo (like you have) and wondered about the mute. Thanks anyway
Nikeboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been experimenting with this and as best as I can get is to use a splitter as a combiner and port both the ipod and Nuvi through the aux port. What I think I'd actually like is an external mounted speaker for the Nuvi. If anyone has rigged one up, let me know.
benjones
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I noticed about the 660 traffic receiver was the initial unit I purchased had one light on the top of the part which plugs into the cigarette lighter and this went either green or amber.

When I installed too many POIs and the unit wouldn't boot up I took it back to Halfords and exchange for a new one. The bit that plugs into the cigarette lighter now has two lights on the the side - one green and one amber so it's obviously a completely different design.

What has everyone else got with their 660? I've noticed that traffic reception is slightly better with this new unit Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 42 of 44

Jump to: