Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lansobun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems Reply with quote

I have just bought a nuvi 310D with a GTM12. I can get perfect TMC reception sitting in my living room with the Nuvi plugged in to my laptop regardless of aerial location. I put it in my car and plug it into the lighter socket and I get nothing TMCwise anywhere no matter what aerial configuration I use (even hanging it out of the window). Impressively I get a pretty good GPS lock in my living room too, and a perfect 19 foot lock in the car.

So I tried this experiment - I set up the nuvi powered by the laptop in the car and hey presto I got TMC data. I then unplugged the USB and plugged the lighter power supply back in I restarted the nuvi - no TMC - searched for providers - no TMC - I then put the USB back in and restarted and bingo TMC!

Could the route of these Nuvi GTM12 problems be with the power supply? Does my USB give out a more stable or higher voltage? I'm stuck with a Nuvi with £100 of GMT12 which won't work in my car - that's a bit of a problem and in my mind falls under the 'not fit for purpose' heading and from what I read on the forums this is VERY common. Any ideas? Is the 10R-02 6017 at fault. Can you help me please.

Rob
AlanDB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TMC on a Nuvi will not work if the Nuvi is running on its internal batteries only.

The most obvious explanation is that when the Nuvi is connected to your laptop it is getting external power so TMC works. When it is powered from your cig lighter socket, it is not getting any power.

Try this. Turn off the Nuvi. Plug in the TMC connection. Plug in your power lead from the cig lighter with the Nuvi is still off. If the cig lighter is supplying power, the Nuvi will turn on automatically - and show TMC. If it does not come on automatically, you have a dodgy power supply from the cig lighter socket., (or you have not switched on your car accessories?)
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you search up and down this thread you will find lots of comment on various GTM's and reception problems.
In my Merc mine would not work with the wire or stub aerial supplied, the car has heat reflective glass that may cause the problem.
Connection to the external Aerial solved the problems.
Search around the thread.
lansobun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanDB wrote:
The TMC on a Nuvi will not work if the Nuvi is running on its internal batteries only.

The most obvious explanation is that when the Nuvi is connected to your laptop it is getting external power so TMC works. When it is powered from your cig lighter socket, it is not getting any power.
Try this. Turn off the Nuvi. Plug in the TMC connection. Plug in your power lead from the cig lighter with the Nuvi is still off. If the cig lighter is supplying power, the Nuvi will turn on automatically - and show TMC. If it does not come on automatically, you have a dodgy power supply from the cig lighter socket., (or you have not switched on your car accessories?)

No it is definately powered, the unit tells you when there is no power for TMC operation - that was the first thing I checked - I believe that it is more fundamental than that!
Legohead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you plugging the TMC aerial into the Nuvi and connecting to the PC at the same time? You must be using the screen mount to access the rear connector as well. The TMC aerials only work in the side connector, not in the rear one, but power will work in both.

Not tried the USB in the rear connector via the screen mount yet

I've been having problems with traffic reception, haven't had a chance to speak to Garmin yet, be onto them today Wink
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlanDB wrote:
If it does not come on automatically, you have a dodgy power supply from the cig lighter socket., (or you have not switched on your car accessories?)
I would certainly try another car to see if it is power supply related, or the lighter cable.

Also - when running in the car, what's the led on the GTM12 doing - is it saying it's powered and finding a signal, or failing to find a signal.

Personally, I think your failure mode is not related to signal reception (like many others are), and you need to return it / get it replaced, although it might well be worth a phone call with Garmin first to confirm (they are very helpful on the phone).
lansobun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Also - when running in the car, what's the led on the GTM12 doing - is it saying it's powered and finding a signal, or failing to find a signal.

My GTM12 doesn't have an LED??

My lighter poer supply goes from green to red when I lug it in the nuvi though.

I'll call Garmin - I've tried emailing them with no success.

Rob
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lansobun wrote:
My GTM12 doesn't have an LED??
Ah, yes, sorry, the GTM12 is the only Garmin unit to not have a status LED.

Quote:
My lighter poer supply goes from green to red when I lug it in the nuvi though.
That doesn't sound right, and I suspect this is indicating that insufficient 'juice' is getting through. I would definitely try a different car in case it's not the unit that's at fault here.

Quote:
I'll call Garmin - I've tried emailing them with no success.
Calling them does appear to be more successful.
lansobun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke to Garmin - and my USB power test seems to have set the hares running!

Although they said that they couldn't help me now, they have siezed upon my power level evidence as a possible answer to the streams of TMC support calls that they have had.

They are going to get back to me when they've tested it - in the meantime I'm going to try an alternative USB Cig lighter power supply and see how that does - then, a different car.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lansobun wrote:
Although they said that they couldn't help me now, they have siezed upon my power level evidence as a possible answer to the streams of TMC support calls that they have had.
I'm not sure it's the answer to all their problems - some people here have had problems with the GTM12 in the UK, but found it worked fine across Europe, which implies it's not a power issue at all.

However, if they have had "streams of TMC support calls", at least they are likely to do something about it.
Legohead
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nuvi 310D went back for a refund yesterday as the TMC (or lack of) was driving me nuts. I bought a Tomtom Go510 which I know could be suicide after my last experience with one, but i do prefer the TT in use, and how you can configure just about anything.

Might have tried another Nuvi, say a 310, but for the same money the TT 510 does more
SimB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is interesting. I received my nice new Nuvi 360 today with a gtm12. I was playing around with it this evening in the house - powering the Nuvi using the AC adaptor through the mount so that I could try out the traffic information. The result ... no traffic information ... just searching for ever. I updated the software from the Garmin site - still no joy. At this point I was thinking that the gtm12 might be dead. Then I came across this thread. Replaced the AC adaptor with the USB cable to my laptop and retried. TMC information in about 30 seconds! Not tried it in the car yet!
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimB wrote:
... Then I came across this thread. Replaced the AC adaptor with the USB cable to my laptop and retried. TMC information in about 30 seconds! Not tried it in the car yet!

It could be that a USB cable or the combination aof the cable and a laptop is making a more efficient FM antenna. What happens if you just connect the USB cable to the Nuvi and not to the laptop?
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't work as the GM12 TMC will not run off the internal Nuvi battery.It requires an external power supply to operate and so either an A/C power lead or USB lead has to not only be connected but also be providing power.
Gibb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this thread, I count myself very lucky.

I bought a 310D two weeks ago, and have had no problems with the traffic service from the word go.

Went to Chelmsford the other day, and the traffic didn't work there, but as soon as I got a few miles out of the city it was fine.

Works 100% around Norwich which is where I have used it so far.

Wish I'd had it a month ago when a drive from Norwich to Glastonbury took 9 and a half hours due to traffic!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 1 of 44

Jump to: