Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Are there any TMC products?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there any TMC products?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Dell Axim5 Reply with quote

Navigon say they support the Axim5, and other sites talk about it, but on Dell's UK site they only seem to have the Axim3 (3i etc), no 5. The US site has both.
Is the Axim5 obsolete / superior?
Does Navigon work with the Axim3?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dell Axim5 Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
Navigon say they support the Axim5, and other sites talk about it, but on Dell's UK site they only seem to have the Axim3 (3i etc), no 5. The US site has both.
Is the Axim5 obsolete / superior?
Does Navigon work with the Axim3?
The Axim 5 was bigger than the X3, and hence is now discontinued. I think the question you need answering (and one I'm afraid I cannot) is whether the Axim 5 and the X3 use the same connector at the bottom, as this is what will need to be identical for Navigon to support the X3 without a new cable.

I think that Navigon use a universal PDA holder for the PDA, hence why it's only the connector that causes a problem - eg the current 38/39/54/etc. cable will also work with an iPAQ 4150 as it has the same connector, but it's a different form factor - which isn't an issue due to the universal PDA mount.
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't confirm regarding the Dell but for the Medion (or Yakumo Delta) PDA's Navigon provides a specific holder. This is noted by the opening for the headphone socket which I use to 'pipe' the sound to my car stereo head unit phone/navigation input for automatic switching between sources and have nicely spoken instructions through the speakers.
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Dell Axim5 Reply with quote

Navigon (Christian Ihl - very helpful) say the Axim3 won't work (presumably the connector).
Oh well, back to the Ipaq2210 I s'pose.

[quote from deJong] This is noted by the opening for the headphone socket which I use to 'pipe' the sound to my car stereo head unit phone/navigation input for automatic switching between sources and have nicely spoken instructions through the speakers.
[/quote]

Sounds an excellent solution - I'll ask how you do it when I've seen your Navigon review Wink

PS Swing - how do you get a quote to appear ina box as you do?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Dell Axim5 Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
PS Swing - how do you get a quote to appear ina box as you do?
I use the Quote button on the individual entry (although I occasionally also muck around with the message tags)

Steve
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: TrafficMaster v Navigon MBEE TMC Reply with quote

I gather from other forums that deJongJ will have both in his car when Navigon arrives. Most comments seem to suggest that TrafficMaster/Traffic-i is much more up to date that iTis, so I can't wait to see your comparison!
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: GPRS vs PDA Reply with quote

Having nothing better to do Confused I was looking at other sites and am now even more confused.

I thought PDA (eg ipaq) + Navman/TomTom, or Navigon if TMC is useful, seemed the best. I rarely use my mobile phone (PAYGo Siemens A55) so wasn't interested in that.
But it seems that O2 XDA may allow Navman/TT/Navigon +/- Traffic-i solutions without buying a normal PDA. Is the O2 any use as a PDA as such, or heavily compromised?
If just as good, and almost the same price, it seems the more flexible solution. (Of course there's the monthly phone charge that I dislike, but could get over).

Have I got lost in the choices, or does this make sense?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are happy with the idea of using a PDA as your main phone, and can handle the downsides of a single box solution, then it may well be a good solution.

However, it has no Bluetooth, and the XDA II may well appear to be a better spec (although a lot more money). You can buy the XDA without a new mobile phone contract from www.expansys.com, although please be aware that the phone was only ever designed to work on O2, so if you are on a different network (especially Orange) you may find some features simply do not work. There are sites like http://www.xda-developers.com which will provide you with even more information to add to your decision process Smile

I looked hard at the idea of a single box solution, but found for my needs the XDA II would be the one required, and the cost of that was too high, especially to buy the Orange compatible version.

Most programs will work fine on the XDA, so it should be a consideration.

Remember to check your chosen SatNav software supports the XDA, especially if it includes hardware which will need the right connector for the XDA (although most of them seem to from memory).

Finally, I would wait for dejongj's review of Navigon in the UK - if the TMC data is not worthwhile, your choices of software / hardware widen even further.
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: XDA Reply with quote

But if Traffic information is needed (and TMC no good) then as I understand it TrafficMaster data can only be provided by GPRS - either their boxes or Traffic-i via phones.

Is there a PDA TrafficMaster connection? I thought you ended up with 2 separate maps, one for navigation and 1 for Traffic which sounds mad.
Or is someone about to release an integrated solution?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
Is there a PDA TrafficMaster connection?

I believe that Traffic-I either have, or will soon have a PocketPC version which will work on a PDA, but yes, you will end up with 2 unlinked maps.
Quote:
Or is someone about to release an integrated solution?
I'm not aware of any plans by anyone to release a PDA integrated solution using Trafficmaster (not even Trafficmaster themselves), which is a real shame - Traffic-I are the closest to being able to offer such a service, but, for example, I don't believe you can use the TomTom SDK to add this information, so it would need the involvement of the software producer, not addons authors.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the TomTom SDK documentation a while back. My understanding is that the current SDK allow the display of variable icons on the map (placing the icons by longitude and latitude) but not for traffic information to influence the routing.

If they could add that second feature, then traffic plugins would be a reality. However, it's harder to add traffic support with a simple SDK - how do you identify the road affected and over what length (start co-ordinates, end co-ordinates and delay in minutes may just do it - but maybe not)?

If you're going to implement support for all the information in the ITIS data, and there's a problem at a junction, how do you identify which slip road is closed?

David
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! There is a TMC product. Navigon MNBEE works absolutely brilliant. Yesterday was chaos on the roads and the TMC messages came flying in and out when there were update. Absolutely brilliant!!!!

A full review with pictures etc will be available after Easter...
Nomada
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
DavidW wrote:
I looked at the TomTom SDK documentation a while back. My understanding is that the current SDK allow the display of variable icons on the map (placing the icons by longitude and latitude) but not for traffic information to influence the routing.

After I got an end building up the database for my program I started to look for what more nice features could be added.
Traffic information was the second to come up. So I did start to explore capabilities and found that there are two ways.

TTN2 and 3: Get the information and in the case it matches the actual route to give an alert with enough time to react, supposing the information is given with that "enough time".

TTN3: That information could trigger a re-routing avoiding the block road/street.

Personally I prefer the first solution, due to the nature of TTN 2 and 3 it only takes avoid areas delimited by a 4 sides polygon and as far as you were not travelling in a Nort-South or East-West defined line that area could easily cover too your scape way.

The first option could be done easy with eVB and second one needs to be in C as the needed controls are only provided for that programming language.

But the real problem is not to program the add-on. The problem is to gather the data. I sent today an email to Traffic Master to know if they want to take the idea or to sell the information in a format that can be treated by another software than their program.

Nomada
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware, Trafficmaster will not licence their data for any navigation systems, though they do make it available for standalone PDA traffic information products (I'm trying, and failing, to remember the Pocket PC product that displays Trafficmaster data).

Be aware, too, that at the moment there's no SDK support in the Pocket PC versions of TomTom's "common platform". I don't know whether this will change before TomTom Navigator 3 is superseded in Europe.

Add to these two problems the impossibility of matching TomTom's integrated Traffic function (such as overlaying delays on a map), and I suspect any development along the lines you suggest is a non-starter.

David
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
(I'm trying, and failing, to remember the Pocket PC product that displays Trafficmaster data).
Traffic-I www.traffic-i.co.uk have smartphone versions (which include the xda) but don't seem to have a PPC version...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: