Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Are there any TMC products?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there any TMC products?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Should arrive soon Reply with quote

Swing, just to let you know that I have ordered the Navigon Business Mobile Navigator. Should be three days before I receive the package including the TMC receiver.
I did a cross-upgrade so it costed me only £200 in the end. Can't wait to try out TMC dynamic routing on a PDA. In addition the package provides maps up-to-date from October 2003 (hmm wonder wether the M6 Toll is on it) plus streetlevel routing for Europe...Not a bad deal if I may say so....
Hopefully I'll update you guys next week with a review.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed, as dejongj points out, Navigon comes with European mapping, whereas TomTom doesn't, and you need to purchase the TomTom European Maps on top of the software, which brings the difference in price between Navigon (with TMC) and TomTom (without) a lot closer.

Nice to know you've ordered, and I'm looking forward to seeing another review of the TMC functionality.

Steve
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
Most people seem to shade Alturion over Navigon, yet it seems quite a bit more expensive. I can't quite see why it's 'better'. Any comments?
Alturion includes both a desktop and a PDA solution in the same box, as well as 12 months of updates to the mapping data. In Europe, they also provide the TMC data via GPRS, which means it can be used with a normal (or existing) GPS receiver (or even a Bluetooth GPS receiver) and then pick up the traffic over GPRS. For the desktop, it can also pick up the traffic data over the internet. However, in the UK, they do not currently provide this, and the only option is to use the GPS-TMC hardware unit, which does make it appear more expensive.

However, a number of people who have actually used both say Navigon is easier to use in real life.

That price does seem good value for a full colour screen unit. I believe nowadays VDO don't provide things like traffic data for free (for the life of the unit, building in the cost in the initial purchase), but now charge a yearly subscription for a range of information that regularly changes.
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Navigon's GPS Reply with quote

Is the Navigon B/tooth receiver (can't find out much about it) as good as Fortuna etc?

I think I have now worked out I could get: Navigon Europ. edn with Btooth receiver, HP1940, SD card and mount. Is that the complete system needed for car satNav with TMC or am I missing something?

It'll be used 95% in UK. Do I need 128MB Sd or 256MB? (I'll probably wait for deJong's review for safety!!)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
Is the Navigon B/tooth receiver (can't find out much about it) as good as Fortuna etc?

I think I have now worked out I could get: Navigon Europ. edn with Btooth receiver, HP1940, SD card and mount. Is that the complete system needed for car satNav with TMC or am I missing something?

It'll be used 95% in UK. Do I need 128MB Sd or 256MB? (I'll probably wait for deJong's review for safety!!)

Unfortunately, there are not any Bluetooth GPS-TMC units available on the market today - if you want TMC, you need to buy a wired GPS-TMC receiver, and you will also need a PDA that has a supported cable by Navigon. If you scroll back through this thread, you'll find the list of Navigon supported PDAs (although the HP iPAQ 4150 can be added to that list).

As for the size of memory card needed - hopefully the review will include the information you need, but I suspect you'll need the 256Mb card if you want to be able to use it for other storage (and the prices have dropped so much now that it's not the issue it once was).

Steve
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigon's GPS Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:

Steve (swing) is quite right, there is currently no bluetooth-GPS with TMC. For TMC to work you will also need the Navigon Mobile Business Edition Europe also referred to on forums as the MBEE. Considering the price difference between 128Mb and 256Mb please go for the 256Mb one. You could use 128Mb for the UK only (I am currently using a UK only version of Navigon) but in the longer run it is just false economy.

Jean-Paul
gpasfan1002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Has anyone used the maps on Alturion? As the source is teletype are they less accurate than the Navigon as the latter uses Navtech which don't have a lot of problems in the UK compared to the teletype maps in TTN2. Can anyone make a comment please about this issue in particular. thanks
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't actually tried their maps, but when I contacted their support they confirmed they have no house number routing...Guess that confirms part of what you are asking...
scwheeler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys/girls, as a noob can I just clarify -

With an XDA II + Alturion pro 5(which i have) + a serial gps/tmc-rds cable(where can I get this from?)

I will be able to use dynamic re-routing/traffic update in the UK now via RDS not GPRS as cannot access GPRS with my sim card?
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! But with a but..The challenge for you will be to find a GPS/TMC receiver with a cable for the XDA-II.....Your best of contacting alturion to see whether there is a cable for their combined GPS/TMC receiver, and or whether Alturion works with another makes GPS/TMC receiver as Navigon does support the XDA-II, which is basically the GNS receiver.
Alternatively you can do the cross-upgrade to Navigon which is the same price as a combined GPS/TMC receiver on its own. That way you gain house number routing in the UK, the latest up-to-date map data (November 2003), still have cross border navigation...But of-course loose that fantastic 3D interface!

Choices hey!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dejongj wrote:
Yes! But with a but..The challenge for you will be to find a GPS/TMC receiver with a cable for the XDA-II
Indeed - I note that Alturion state that the XDA is compatible with Pro5, but the XDA II is only supported via Bluetooth (which seems odd, as I believe the connector for the cable is the same).

scwheeler - even if you had GPRS support, Alturion do not provide traffic data via GRPS for the UK - the only method is via RDS-TMC. If you already have Alturion Pro 5, why not simply contact Alturion and ask if they offer a hardware-only upgrade to get the GPS-TMC receiver? As dejongj states, Navigon certainly offer a cross-grade product, and I would be surprised if Alturion don't have some form of deal available.
gpasfan1002
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, scwheeler, try this site

http://www.rimicom.be/, then click the
Leadtek (GNS) GPS Receiver met TMC ontvanger. There is also on the top of the page next to the homepage button, Leadtek accessory button and this will have few cables. you can see whether the one which suites your O2 XDA is included. the problem is that the site is not in English but I presume a phone call can clarify things. Also this is the same receiver used in alturion bundle.
Can I ask you? do you find the Alturion a good software? and i are the maps accurate? and are the instructions clear in the roundabouts? I didnt like the demo sent to me by one of their customer services rep. Can you find a place by using the post code?

thanks for the help.
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Navigon's GPS Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful comments.
Despite what I thought was careful reading, I had missed that TMC was ONLY available with MBEE.

But I also missed (I think) that MBEE INCLUDES the (wired) GPS/RDS-TMC receiver, so I don't need a separate one? Is this one good at GPS, or a compromise?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidH wrote:
Despite what I thought was careful reading, I had missed that TMC was ONLY available with MBEE.
Strictly speaking, it's also available with Alturion (but again, you still need the wired GPS-RDS hardware too).

Quote:
But I also missed (I think) that MBEE INCLUDES the (wired) GPS/RDS-TMC receiver, so I don't need a separate one?
True
Quote:
Is this one good at GPS, or a compromise?
It's a Leadtek model, so I would suggest it's in the "good" category. There are better, but for most purposes it will be fine. Hopefully dejongj will soon have his copy and be able to give some real life experiences of what the actual hardware is like.
dejongj
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still awaiting my package....But then again I am away from home this week!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: