Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - QUEST 2-- SCRATCHED SCREEN!!!!!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

QUEST 2-- SCRATCHED SCREEN!!!!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yamkwak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: QUEST 2-- SCRATCHED SCREEN!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Had my Quest 2 for about 3 months now and just returned from europe using the quest on my motorbike for 2 weeks. Have now noticed that the screen is slightly 'discoloured' and when held at a certain angle I can see a lot of very fine scratches all over the screen, is this a common fault or have I got a faulty screen / Quest 2 ?? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the screen is either a bit dirty (mild detergent on a non-scratching cloth will help) or the anti-reflecting coating is mildly damaged (use a microfiber cloth to remove it, you won;t notice that it's missing during operation).

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'
cal50
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some Novus 2 polish. It does wonders for scratches on plastic. I bet you can get them all out with a little effort.
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread about this a while ago which I can't find. A number of us thought our screens were scratched but some vigourous cleaning with a glasses cloth and cleaning solution or a soft cloth and a little detergent and water (I run mine under the tap) will sort it out. It can need to be quite vigourous.

I was reluctant to do this first time, but once I had mine was good as new. I had also been using mine on a motorbike and throwing it in the tank bag at stops. Don't be too worried - the screen is amazingly robust.
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I got some sunglasses cleaning fluid and a cloth, worked a treat. Did have to rub harder than I imagined!
Three-Of-Five
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to vigourous. Try Turtle Wax for car polishment, use a sanitary piece of cotton and rub it very gently. It uses to be very effective on acrilic scratches.

This wax is very low abrasive so for deeper scratches you'll need to rub some more time, but the finish is very nice. It works also with watches screens.

The finish depends on the tissue you use to polish, so silk would be the best, but native cotton is nice.
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really would recommend before using anything abrasive you try my non-abrasive method using glasses cleaning cloth and spray - I was convinced my screen was scratched when in fact it was only stubborn dirt which needed some old fashioned elbow grease.

Abrasive cleaning is a one way street - there's no return if things get worse as you are removing material with the abrasives.
yamkwak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all replys, have been busy at work so firts chance I get I will try and 'clean' :D the screen up. cheers.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen on my 'new to me' Quest had been butchered. Definitely scratched and you could see where the anti reflective coating had been worn away. Read that Brasso works well on plastics so tried that, found that Brasso Duraglit works even better for removing the remaining coating and polishing out all but one very short scratch which seems quite deep. Might try to get rid of that sat in front of the TV tonight.

Suffice to say the screen image on my Quest now looks far better. I didn't notice any viewing problems on a 240 mile blat around Nth Wales on the bike today :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: