Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - camera update. did it work????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

camera update. did it work????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: camera update. did it work???? Reply with quote

hi bought a tomtom one with camera batabase installed. date of database showing as may 06 when i hover mouse curser over files when connected tomtom to my pc.
paid for and downloaded zip of june 06 database from pocketgpsworld and think i've done all correct, but when i hover mouse over files they still show 'date modified may 06' so has the update not occured. i noticed in instructions it says you must copy over the individual ov2 files not the folder but when i try to open the downloaded ov2 folder it says i can't open it as computer does not know what program created it. so just right clicked on ov2 copied and pasted into great britain maps. but now not sure if its done correctly or not.
any help much appreciated.
tonygold
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its the ov2 and .bmp files that are copied over to the map folder on the tomtom one. you dont need to open these

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for prompt reply. so if i have updated successfully by copying and pasting these folders only, why does the file in my tomtom show the date modified as may 06 and not the new june 06 database date??
how can u then be sure you have updated correctly?
sorry am new to all this so really appreciate the time taken to explain this.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest i dont know why the date modified has come up like that but i will ask.

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few thoughts...
(and apologies if this is all obvious, it's just easier to get it all clear...)

Quote:
hi bought a tomtom one with camera batabase installed.

Are you sure it was the PGPSWorld database installed not TomTom's own one? (They can both be installed at the same time).

Quote:
so if i have updated successfully by copying and pasting these folders only

Please be *very* careful about the difference between a file and a folder (and a zip archive) when you are posting.
You've already said that you know not to copy the folder, just its contents.

Quote:
but when i try to open the downloaded ov2 folder it says i can't open it as computer does not know what program created it.

Any computer should be able to open a folder; whether it knows what to do with the files inside is another matter (see ( 4 ) below).

The sequence of events you did should have been:
1 ) Download the zip archive.

2 ) Un-zip that archive (using either Windows XP's built-in routine or a stand-alone progrem like Winzip). If using Windows own routine this just involves double clicking on it and selecting "extract all files" on the left of the window that appears.

3 ) That should produce a folder (usually in the same place as the zip archive).

4 ) Double clicking on that folder should open it and show one or more ov2 and bmp files (between 1 and 24 depending on which version of the database you chose to download).
If you try to double click and open one of the ov2 files then Windows in all probability WON'T know what to do with it. This is normal, and nothing to worry about. If you double click on one of the bmp files, that should open any "paint" type program you have on your computer and show you the little picture icon.

4 ) It is this collection of files that you need to copy into the map folder on your TomTom.

Having said all that, on my system, the "create date" of the files produced in the procedure above all have TODAY'S date (I know, cos I've just re-downloaded the latest one.

There is a file called "release.txt" in the folder too. Open that in a text editor (double click should do it) and it says "Version 4.064 30 June 2006" I always copy that to the map folder too. It won't do any harm, but is a good check when you forget which version you have installed. Smile

I suggest you just delete (or move to another place on your PC) all the camera files that are on your One, re-download the latest version of the database, and copy that as described above and check that "version.txt" when you've done it.

**** USUAL REMINDER: ENSURE YOU HAVE A COMPLETE BACKUP OF EVERYTHING ON YOUR SD CARD FIRST! ****
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see the ov2 files download poi edit from here http://www.poiedit.com
If they are TT camera daterbase files it will say invalid ov2 files
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi andy
many thanks for reply. my pc only seems to unzip using winzip. i moved all the camera files and bitmaps to my desktop as suggested by you, and redownloaded and unzipped the database. again could only copy and paste the 2 folders as my pc couldn't open them. needless to say once pasted into tomtom one gb maps folder, only the 2 folders were visible and not the multiple files i had previously, so hasn't worked?? re- deleted these and pasted back the multiple files so back to square 1. i have the data base but can't seem to update it. sorry to be a pain. it's prob something quite simple / basic but i can't fathom it!!!!!!!!!
again
thanks for help.
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of this http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=18701
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi andy
think i've sussed it now. i was downloading single file database!! have now downloaded the speed zone contolled database. now all files transferred successfully. thanks. in your opinion what is the diff between the 3 databases on offer? have i got the right one? do i need to delete the old database or just install the new ones over the old ones??
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonygold wrote:
hi andy
many thanks for reply. my pc only seems to unzip using winzip.

That's a shame, but if you can drive Winzip, the results will be the same.

Quote:
i moved all the camera files and bitmaps to my desktop as suggested by you, and redownloaded and unzipped the database.

Good

Quote:
again could only copy and paste the 2 folders as my pc couldn't open them. needless to say once pasted into tomtom one gb maps folder, only the 2 folders were visible and not the multiple files i had previously, so hasn't worked??

Here's where you've gone wrong this time. When Winzip has finished, you should still have the original zip archive, and next to it a new "standard" type Windows folder. Ignore the zip - you've finished with that, but you should be able to open the new folder and see the files you need inside. Yes? This step is vital. If something is stopping you opening that new folder, there is no point going any further.

Assuming you can, in my step 4 (oops, the second step 4 Embarassed )above I should have made it more clear... Open this new folder, select all the individual files and copy those to your One.
Then have a look at the SD card and see what you've got.
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tony
had read this but now think my mistake was downloading the single file database and not the multiple one i had already had installed on my ONE. what is the difference or advantages between these??
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrg, our posts crossed.
Anyway, good, glad you sorted it.
It's one of the new "features" of the download system, that every version arrives to you with the same archive name. Can be very confusing (especially when, like my example below, people want to download more than one version and mix and match the files they use).

As for which version....
The single, all-in-one is great for those who want a quick and easy solution, but there are so many "mobile" entries now, that people get fed up with all the "false" alerts if they can't tell what type they are for. In my opinion, that is the only reason to opt for the "consolidated by type" version.
The speed-zoned set is great, but can be a little daunting for the first-timer, and also uses up a lot of precious POI categorys (you only get 39 in total).
For a long time, I had a version of software that only allowed 24 categories so I used to download both the speed-zoned AND the "by type" versions and use the speed-zoned fixed and mobile files and the all-in-one SPECS from the "by type" version. Now I just use all the speed-zoned set.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and to answer your last question, if you haven't changed the filenames (some people shorten them, to make them easier to read on-screen) then the new files should just overwrite the old ones every month. Windows will probably open a box saying something like "a file you are trying to copy has the same name, do you want to replace it?" Just answer "Yes" or "Yes to all".
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is down to personal choice and the limitations of your SatNav package. If you were to stay in the UK there are 3 levels of options:

Option 1 (single file POI)
As stated above, this category contains all of the above categories, except for the Continental one. It is for UK users who have SatNav systems that can only use a limited number of POI categories at time:

pocketgps_uk_sc

Option 2 (5 main categories)
This is just the main categories and none of the subcategories that show speed limits:

pocketgps_uk_gatso
pocketgps_uk_mobile
pocketgps_uk_redlight
pocketgps_uk_specs
pocketgps_uk_temp

Option 3 (24 files comprising of both main and sub categories)
If you want the above but with subcategories of the Gatso, Mobile, and SPECS databases to show speed related cameras:

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40
pocketgps_uk_gatso_50
pocketgps_uk_gatso_60
pocketgps_uk_gatso_70
pocketgps_uk_gatso_tba
pocketgps_uk_gatso_var
pocketgps_uk_mobile_20
pocketgps_uk_mobile_30
pocketgps_uk_mobile_40
pocketgps_uk_mobile_50
pocketgps_uk_mobile_60
pocketgps_uk_mobile_70
pocketgps_uk_mobile_tba
pocketgps_uk_redlight
pocketgps_uk_specs_20
pocketgps_uk_specs_30
pocketgps_uk_specs_40
pocketgps_uk_specs_50
pocketgps_uk_specs_60
pocketgps_uk_specs_70
pocketgps_uk_specs_tba
pocketgps_uk_temp

There are almost an endless amount of combinations of the above. Please don't forget that:

1. You can use a combination of speed-zoned sub-categories of one type with non-speed-zoned categories of another type, i.e. speed-zoned Gatso and Mobile with non-speed-zoned SPECS.

2. If you use speed-zoned sub categories use all of the sub categories (else you won’t get warnings for every site) and don't use the full category with the sub-categories (else you will get duplicate warnings).
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

many thanks to tony and andy. a wealth of info between them. all much obliged. thanks again for both your helps today.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: