Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No traffic update via 02
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No traffic update via 02

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
passau91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: No traffic update via 02 Reply with quote

Sad I have recently bought Navicore for my Siemens SX1 and have several issues with it (within the first 3 days of owning it). Principal among these is that the traffic update service is not functioning.

I called the Navicore support line and they told me that there is a reported problem with Navicore users on 02, and to check with 02 to see if I have the correct GPRS settings for the traffic update service to function correctly. I was told by 02 that they didn't think they supported this service and that the GPRS via WAP and GPRS via MMS are the only settings they have (there was an implication that because 02 operates a traffic service they might see anyone else as a rival). This is not good news as I only bought Navicore for the traffic service. Has anyone else had any problems, either with 02 or any other phone operator?

The other issues I have are the routes Navicore chooses. I wanted to use the A1 instead of the M1, but couldn't find a way of making it show me that route - I tried adding a waypoint on the A1, but it just ignored the waypoint and took me to the M1 anyway (and I couldn't find a way of seeing what route it had calculated to tell it to not use the M1 on this occasion).

Feel free to point out the errors of my ways and convince me to stick with Navicore, otherwise I'm going to see if I can chance my luck to get a refund from The Link... Rolling Eyes
dave_angel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am on o2 and use navicore - haven't used it for a couple of weeks so i don't know if this is a new problem that i haven't encountered, but i know that when i did use it the update happened no problem.

I think that the keyis having the correct gprs settings from o2 on your phone - i think they differ for monthly contract and PAYG? Either way it certainly was able to update the database without any fuss

In relation to the wrong route can only offer 2 alternatives i think. I read somewhere that someone used "add roadblock" on a road to avoid it - not sure if this would jsut re-route around this one section or journey entirety?

Alternatively have you tried "re-route" after being given a route - have tried that myself and seemed to give a decent alternative to follow.

Can also always drive where you want and it will recalcualte to destination as you go along your route
passau91
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Dave.

I'm actually going to take the Navicore back and get a refund. However, when I was playing with it last night, I found that the reason the waypoint hadn't worked was because I had done it in the wrong order - it would appear that you have to plan the route first, make sure that it has registered the destination, then add the waypoint which will then be ticked as active and Navicore then re-routed as expected - still not ideal, but it is pretty much the same for all satnavs. I just find the routes chosen by Navicore to be "wrong" when compared to routes chosen by the AA (as an example).

As for the traffic update, 02 did say that they had recently introduced their own scheme (by dialling 1200), so it may be a recent thing. I'll have another little play with it tonight before I take the Navicore back, to see if adjusting the timeout on the update from the standard 60s to 120s will make a difference.

Cheers again.
dave_angel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok P

Not sure what o2 are telling you to be honest - that service has been around for many months. Certainly didn't stop my device hooking up. I didn't have to do anything on my phone (nokia 7610) or GPRS settings to get updates - out of the box it seemed to work.
SteveG02
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: o2 GPRS Reply with quote

Are you using a pay as you go SIM? If so, then this could be the problem as o2 severly restrict traffic over GPRS unless you have a contract with them to use the mobile web settings.
dave_angel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have got a very simple monthly contract - is now getting billed on that.

Although i have just changed to 3G sim card i am not sure if that is set up in the same way for gprs - i might need to have a check of that

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: