Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help! travelling to France Wednesday, no maps!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help! travelling to France Wednesday, no maps!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
korndog
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose_Cannon wrote:
Thanks for that; first post, first twit reply. Are you a saint, or just Amish?.

Lol, that made me chuckle. I suppose he had to say that, being a moderator. What's the point in buying a france map if you're hardly ever gonna go.
At least you bought the GB map which more than lots of people

TomTom Go 600
Budgie39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose Cannon. If you are going to France make sure, if you borrow your friend's unit, that there is nothing to do with speed cameras on it as I have read that it is illegal in France to have any piece of equipment that notifies the driver of camera locations. There are heavy on the spot fines if you are stopped and found to have this information.

I'm 99% certain I am correct but I'm sure someone else will confirm or correct me if I'm wrong.

Safe motoring in France m8. It's great driving over there as, apart from the volume of traffic in the cities, the roads are generally not crowded at all. If you've never driven over there it's worth checking some of the motoring association web sites (RAC, AA etc) for what you legally need to carry (like warning triangle, set of spare bulbs etc).
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budgie39 wrote:
I'm 99% certain I am correct but I'm sure someone else will confirm or correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope you are wrong.

Extensively covered in other posts (search for France + cameras)

Radar detection units are illegal and will be confiscated. Units that are ONLY based on GPS location via database are not.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Budgie39
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for confirming Peter. At least I had that 1% of doubt in my mind! Laughing I guess I should have done a search initially before opening my mouth and putting my size 12 in it!
At least that has put my mind at rest as I have always avaoided putting the camera database on my PDA as I thought it was a no no in France - you live and learn eh?
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also need to know that in France, the fixed sites are few and far between. The overwhelming majority of speed traps are police operated mobiles, and they can appear anywhere, without any warning signs. They also don't have to be visible, and will often operate out of unmarked vehicles, or behind hedges! If you speed and rely on the satnav, it's gonna cost you.
plipplop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the position if with companies buying TOMTOMs

and handing handing them out to their fleets of drivers, no different to

handing it over to a friend i would have thought?
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plipplop wrote:
Does anyone know what the position if with companies buying TOMTOMs and handing handing them out to their fleets of drivers, no different to handing it over to a friend i would have thought?

First of all let me say that in no way do I mean to belittle or have a go at any one for past comments.

But come on peeps, no matter what the Eula or any type of licence says, if we are going to sell, give or loan our TomTom's we will do it anyway regardless.

And besides TomTom are not losing out, because most of the time we are simply replacing our old unit with a supposedly newer updated model, meaning that TomTom have now gained a further prospective customer for the sale of new maps etc, of who will also most likely then tell other people how good it is, then yet another sale is made for TomTom (hopefully).

I personally have loaned mine to two people who have then gone onto buying their own (exactly the same as I did) no way would I have gone out and spent £260 on (in my case a toy) without knowing it was going to do the job I wanted it to do.

Also do you think that the likes of PWGPS would allow a "For Sale" forum if there was going to be problems with the licences etc?

As for trying to sell or give away "copied software" then yes, that is a totally different matter as that is downright ILLEGAL. Rolling Eyes
(Also as pointed out, without the licence details etc it won't work any way).
Loose_Cannon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hello again, back after my holiday, and a little surprised by all the activity on this teensy little question. I must say how sorry I am that it all degenerated like this, and apologise that it was over something so trivial that could have been answered in a single sentence (though preferably just not the one given).

I must say I find the protective paranoia of these new technology industries astounding, and applied in draconian fashion simply because they can. As one learned counsel here remarked it's no wonder ordinary people resort to dodgy Ebay ads in response to it. If I want to cut a few pieces of wood I'll borrow my father in law's Workmate, and I don't expect a solicitor's letter from Black and Decker demanding I buy my own.

And I did get lost on holiday, pretty much sorted with a 4 Euro map from the Supermarche.

The senior members on here seem to forget that not only is this technology confusing for a beginner, SO IS THIS SITE! It's huge! And for the wags who complain that people don't research before posting I spent HOURS learning how to download the databases because I could tell the incessant repetition of certain questions got right on everyone's pips! I also read that it was not illegal to carry GPS data of French cameras, although I had no intention of flouting someone elses rules anyway as that seems extraordinarily bad manners as a visitor.

Strangely this is the second thread I've seen on a forum recently that has descended into a tediuous finger wagging lecture on intellectual rights, the first concerning the simple copying of a page from a old factory manual by someone trying to restore his (long discontinued) car.

Next time when I'm not in such alast minute panic I will do as suggested and borrow this chap's complete unit. As the person in question is an ordained minister I presume I will answer to higher power, maybe even higher than the moderators around here Wink
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Religion is the opium of the masses.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well?
In all your long post, you didn't mention whether your interpretation of TomTom's "advice" was right.

Did you produce a single seamless map from the CD or downloaded set???? Wink
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore me! What a twit I am, that wasn't you at all... Embarassed

It's late, I've had a glass or two... Rolling Eyes
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose_Cannon wrote:
Well hello again, back after my holiday, and a little surprised by all the activity on this teensy little question. I must say how sorry I am that it all degenerated like this, and apologise that it was over something so trivial that could have been answered in a single sentence (though preferably just not the one given).

I must say I find the protective paranoia of these new technology industries astounding, and applied in draconian fashion simply because they can. As one learned counsel here remarked it's no wonder ordinary people resort to dodgy Ebay ads in response to it. If I want to cut a few pieces of wood I'll borrow my father in law's Workmate, and I don't expect a solicitor's letter from Black and Decker demanding I buy my own.

..snip..

Next time when I'm not in such alast minute panic I will do as suggested and borrow this chap's complete unit. As the person in question is an ordained minister I presume I will answer to higher power, maybe even higher than the moderators around here Wink

Well said. esp the B&D analogy

Tw
oldfogy
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loose_Cannon wrote:

Hi there. Hope you had a good holiday.

And just maybe the ongoing topic was "not really that trivial" but merely brought out into the open, probably not for the first time and possibly not the last, with regards to the attitude of some.

Lets just hope PGPSW take some notice of the various comments!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:
Well said. esp the B&D analogy

Tw

Acually, the B&D situation is not analogous at all. When you buy a Workmate, you buy the product outright, whereas with software you buy a personal licence to use it. As such the product is not yours to lend, hire, etc..

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: