Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Route 66 Navigate 7 review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Route 66 Navigate 7 review
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Route 66 is proving to be a popular alternative to some of the other well known GPS software solutions available. The software and maps have been updated a few times since release and their latest software (due end of Aug 06) comes with Q2 2006 mapping which is the most up to date available, has a speed camera database preinstalled and comes with full support for TMC receivers (rather than just support for TMC via GPRS).

With its GPS search facility you have one of the easiest configuration procedures of all software, a lot less hassle than some of the other well known brands.

All in all this software is well worth looking into, and as mentioned in an earlier post it is one of the only GPS software packages available with full coverage of Ireland.

Tel: 0871 7000 156
Globalsat UK Distributor
geowarrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi EasyD2,

Thanks for the lowdown. I've only just purchased the Navigate 7 for PPC Europe edition (from you guys) and so was wondering if I may qualify for a free update to the version that will be release end of August?
majordoc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it's weird that on the route 66 website there's absolutely nothing on map-updates, let alone map-updates themselves.
(I just bought a MIO PPC/phone with navigate7 Europe and Benelux)
Almost executed the latest update on the site (7.0.980) until I found out just in time version 7.0.990 is installed...
I would very much like to know if i
have to throw navigate7 out in 2 years and buy another brand or;
happily can expect map-updates before that time.

Anyone?

Majordoc (NL)
eirlink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Just installed latest map update now.

I got Navteq Q2 2006 mapping today and it has full coverage for Irish Republic.There are additions,from Q1 2006 in this release,one that ive noticed already is the inclusion of the Bundoran,Co Donegal bypass.
Im sure ill find others as i drive around.

Newer housing estates,M50 extension amd M1 changes are all there.This is reflected in the larger file size for maps,although some of this increase will no doubt be reflected on UK mainland and NI....

Happy days[/b]
eirlink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

majordoc wrote:
Actually it's weird that on the route 66 website there's absolutely nothing on map-updates, let alone map-updates themselves.
(I just bought a MIO PPC/phone with navigate7 Europe and Benelux)
Almost executed the latest update on the site (7.0.980) until I found out just in time version 7.0.990 is installed...
I would very much like to know if i
have to throw navigate7 out in 2 years and buy another brand or;
happily can expect map-updates before that time.

Anyone?

Majordoc (NL)

Route 66 get their maps from Navteq,so look to them for latest maps.
I have Q2 2006 (only got data today) and its the most up to date Navteq version available to date.

just checked my software version and its 7.0.990. you probally are aware this version id is related to the gps software rather than the map version.The latest here is Q2.

So majordoc,no,you wont have to throw out Navigate 7.Just get the latest navteq maps and download them onto the media card.( im not familiar with the mio but i presume it uses a card)
Map updates are available ....ive got 2 since early july...was using Q1 2006 until yesterday and got Q2 2006 today.

Incidentally Q1 2006 running on Airis machines using Route 66 navigate 7 has a software bug which causes the Airis to crash under certain conditions.One being if you deviate off route and the unit recalculates,however this has been resolved in Q2.

Eirlink
geowarrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eirlink wrote:

Route 66 get their maps from Navteq,so look to them for latest maps.
I have Q2 2006 (only got data today) and its the most up to date Navteq version available to date.....

.....Just get the latest navteq maps and download them onto the media card.( im not familiar with the mio but i presume it uses a card)
Map updates are available ....ive got 2 since early july...was using Q1 2006 until yesterday and got Q2 2006 today.

Eirlink

Having taken a look at the Navtek site for map updates I cannot see Route 66 listed as an option so am unsure what update to request. Can you help on this? Also I presume there is a cost involved.
eirlink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geowarrior

You will have to contact the retailer you bought the mio from and get him to provide the updates.There will be a cost involved.Are you in Ireland? if so expext to pay around €50 per update.As i say if you look for Q2 2006 this is the latest mapping for Irish Republic and contains all major and minor roads,includes most recent nwe housing estates as well as over 45,000 townlands.

Even Achill island is mapped!!
wibbler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eirlink wrote:
Hi all

I got Navteq Q2 2006 mapping today and it has full coverage for Irish Republic.There are additions,from Q1 2006 in this release,one that ive noticed already is the inclusion of the Bundoran,Co Donegal bypass.

Newer housing estates,M50 extension amd M1 changes are all there.This is reflected in the larger file size for maps,although some of this increase will no doubt be reflected on UK mainland and NI....

Happy days[/b]

Hi Eirlink,

May I ask where you got this map data? Are you a beta tester or a customer?

I'm pretty confused about which Route 66 products have Q2 2006 map data. I'm toying with buying an Airis T920, which at least one supplier in Ireland sells installed with a Q2 2006 enabled version of Navigate 7.

However, I also have an iPAQ with Bluetooth GPS receiver and might opt for the PDA version of Navigate 7 if I thought I could get the latest Q2 2006 map data as an upgrade anytime soon.

Also does anyone know if all current Airis T920s ship with the same Q2 2006 maps? If not are Q2 2006 map updates available *now* for the device and at what cost? Pixmania have the T920 for a very nice price but they don't say what map versions it comes with. I don't want to buy one from them if it comes loaded with older maps and the cost of an upgrade will push the price over what I can have from the supplier here in Ireland.

Many Thanks.
eirlink
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wibbler wrote:
eirlink wrote:
Hi all

Happy days[/b]

Hi Eirlink,

May I ask where you got this map data? Are you a beta tester or a customer?

I'm pretty confused about which Route 66 products have Q2 2006 map data. I'm toying with buying an Airis T920, which at least one supplier in Ireland sells installed with a Q2 2006 enabled version of Navigate 7.

However, I also have an iPAQ with Bluetooth GPS receiver and might opt for the PDA version of Navigate 7 if I thought I could get the latest Q2 2006 map data as an upgrade anytime soon.

Also does anyone know if all current Airis T920s ship with the same Q2 2006 maps? If not are Q2 2006 map updates available *now* for the device and at what cost? Pixmania have the T920 for a very nice price but they don't say what map versions it comes with. I don't want to buy one from them if it comes loaded with older maps and the cost of an upgrade will push the price over what I can have from the supplier here in Ireland.

Many Thanks.

Hi wibbler

I sent you a PM detailing where you can get the Q2 maps in Ireland.

Route 66 navigate 7 is the version which includes the Q2 data you require and again is available for sale in Ireland at present.
Route 66 navigate 7 can be bought on its own from this retailer and for this you get it on disk which you then burn down onto either SD card or compact flash card ( which ever media type the ipaq takes).
This would be your cheapest option as you already have the PDA

I have an old aldi unit running R66 nav 7 with Q2 maps here now so i see no difficulty in running this on a ipaq.

the airis from the retailer you know of HAS Q2 pre loaded...guaranteed.And the software bug has been fixed in the Airis with this update as well,if you buy from him.
( tehre was a bug in the software which caused the Airis to "crash".be careful if you buy from Pixmania...this fix and/or Q2 maps may or may not be included.Do your research well...
wibbler
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Eirlink.

That PM never arrived, BTW.

It's been very difficult to get any detailed information on the Airis T920 so going with Pixmania would be a gamble alright. I guess the supplier in Ireland could provide the map updates for a fee. The question is whether that puts the total price above what they are asking for the device with Q2 2006 on it guaranteed. Decisions, decisions :-)

Thanks again.
bisiaco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lads,

I have a route 66 for mobile version 7, but maps are back to the end of 2005.
I was looking to have an update on Q2 2006, coz Ireland it's cover only in Dublin Area on the one I got.

Any clue where I can find them?On the Route 66 website they seems not available for mobile 7 to be downloaded without buying another Kit.

thanks a mil

Max
Wasimmm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased the Airis T920A which comes with Route66.

Before Route66, i swore by tomtom. I have a few questions i was hoping someone can answer. Sorry, if they seem a bit basic, i have only used route66 for a few hours thus far.

My Airis is running Navigate 7.0.1895 ROUTE 66 Navigate, .NET Version 7.0.1895

1. Whats the UK support number for Route66?

2. I noticed the software does not have full postcode support. This thread mentions there are updates available for this, where do i get these? i tried http://www.66.com/route66/support.php?cid=UK&sec=1&ssec=0 but it says nothing is available

3. I cant seem to be able to select a destination to a door number. it asks me for a street but not a house number. If the street is 8 miles long, then its quite unhelpful.

3. Can i save the current GPS location as an address or POI? this is very useful when you need to come back to where you are but there is no street name or particular address associated to the point.

4. Are the speed settings in KMPH? This is because i noticed 100 in motorway speed, when the speed limit is 70mph. I have set the units to Miles but the speed settings dont seem to tell you what units they are done in.

5. How do you "clear" the route? It does your head in if you decide not to go to your route and it seems like you cant clear the current route, just replace it.

6. Can you upload your own voices to the memory card?

7. I would like to associate a voice file to an approaching POI e.g. a speed camera rather than a "click" alarm

8. Theft is a major issue on these satnav's, a future development could be setting a password to gain entry to route66?

9. how do i know if a newer map is available? and how do i update my existing map?

10. Not a route66 issue, but the Airis T920A does not come with an AC charger. so when you first use the device you have to take it to your car, plug it in and charge it for a few hours.

I like Route66 as opposed to tomtom, but the above little issues let it down. I hope someone with more experience can shed light on these issues.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in answering this one, I have only just spotted it, as I was re-loading R66 last night and hit a few problems (all sorted now thanks to R66 telephone support). On to the answers, although I should add these answers are based on my version installed and running on a PDA.
1/ UK Support 0207 099 5714 Mon to Fri 07:30 to 16:30 CET.

2/ The software does not have full 7 digit postcode support, I hope at some future point they do add this though.

3a/ If you are presented with a long road, plan the route as normal, then select Zoom to/ Destination. Your destination target is a small white plus symbol with a red centre, you can move this around and blocks of house numbers will appear on the map, try and judge where is best then press the "Arrow" pointing at the red circles icon (lower bar third icon from left) answer "Yes" to start new navigation.

3b Yes you can - if the first bit fails read the entire answer before giving up, tap the screen select Points Of Interest (POI)/ Maintain POI/ Add As POI, from the list presented you need to select one of the POI categories, then tap the green tick in the lower right corner. On the next presented screen is "Current Position", simply tap this and enter a name for your POI, once done press the green tick and your location is stored as a single POI within the chosen category. (You must have a valid GPS signal for this to work).
Also if you have no custom POI loaded you will first have to create a POI Category:
Points Of Interest (POI)/ Maintain POI Category/ Add POI Category, give it a name - remember this is a group name not a name for a single POI, select an icon from the list to be used, now the answer to 3b will work from the top.

4/ If you have selected MPH the values are in MPH, I think the high numbers are due to the default settings when first installed, re-map your speed limit to a more suitable value 70? Wink

5/ I have never found a clear route option, the only way to wipe the route is as you say plan another one or exit the application and re-start.

6/ For navigation voices no this is not possible.

7/ For POI Spoken alerts this is possible (well it works on PDA and has been recently confirmed on smart phone) please have a read through THIS
thread for more details.

8/ A pin number system simply won't stop the low life’s from stealing the equipment, the only effective method is to take it out of the car, never be tempted to leave it in.

9/ Not too sure about the map other than checking www.66.com The new version does include a method to check for application updates though (vs 7.0.02834) - please remember this is written around the PDA version of the R66 application.

10 No comment, as I don't have one, although its a bit tight not to supply a charger cable in my opinion.
Mike
ZCruizer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a web site for Route 66 software?

thx
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer 9 in my post above this one Rolling Eyes Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: