Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Origin B2 - GPS Lock & Mobiles Camera Sites
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Origin B2 - GPS Lock & Mobiles Camera Sites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Origin B2 - GPS Lock & Mobiles Camera Sites Reply with quote

Just got an Origin B2

The subscription has expired last year so 50 quid for a new one but 12.50 admin fee since it's expired, 35 quid to put it in my names aswell!! Rip Off City!

Before I bother though I have tried it out and found its crap at getting a lock or crap at keeping a lock and often comes up with no Sat whilst I am driving before sorting itself out after 10 minutes, hardly reliable - any commone problems to check for?

Also I notice NO mobile sites - kinda makes it pointless in my book if it doesn't have these - is this something I would get with a current subscription??

Cheers

Alan
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've has a B2 for some time and dont have 'problems' with it. It's been out for several years so any issues (including the annual and registartion\ Tfr fees) are well documented.

I agree, it isnt the fastest for getting a sat lock. I always use the sat antenae even if you have the model with the built in one. If you only use it periodically, then it will take time to get a lock and even longer once you start moving. Use mine every day and by the time i've reversed the car out, it's up and running.

Re 'no mobiles', think you'll find these may be referred to as 'Hidey Hole' sites. Some temp sites may be covered as Ds2. Never had an issue, as with many others you can add fresh sites your self. It's own radar detector is a bit naff, but then its more a back up to the primary GPS based system. I've used several other camera GPS systems,including TomTom nav and now the Go910. I find the camera info on the B2 much more reliable, certainly less false warnings, and you can connect a radar jammer (but that would be illegal, wouldnt it? Just dont get caught!)

There are plus's. Accurate and clearly defined camera types, simple download of updates. (just connect it via a PC, select update and 2 mins later done! I think the Spec facility alone is worth the money.

This model has been out for many years and except for cosmetic updates and a version with a built antenae, I wont be surprised if there isnt a new model released soon. Good luck!
SatMap
AlanK
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm - its been getting quicker at getting a lock but seems to lose it very easily.

Lack of mobiles puts me off - there are loads of mobile sites around Edinburgh/Borders that I dont know about, most of the fixed cameras I do. Fancied the B2 as its easier to set up than my PDA but not if it aint reliable...

Wonder how much I could get for it (was fitted to my new car), and more over how I can get it out without taking the dash to bits (well fitted)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraserp wrote:
and you can connect a radar jammer (but that would be illegal, wouldnt it? Just dont get caught!)
It is illegal to own a Radar jammer in the UK, let alone to use one!! - Laser is slightly different though - just thought I would point this out - Mike
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's illegal to have an radar jammer. I did say dont get caught! Smile

BTW, jammers they are still on sale in various guises, parking sensors etc but I expect that'll soon be closed.

I was just pointing out that facility can be used with a B+. Still think the B+ camera db and usage is way ahead and less complicated than other combined navigation and camera systems, and i've used several. Definately plug in and go set up. Removing it could be fun as it depennds where the wires go. You'll need to track these through from where the B+ connects to get to the main connection loom where the external cable plug in ( sat antenae, power, 'radar detector' etc...). I put my own in so it would be v.easy to remove. Have fun!
SatMap

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: