Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can GPS Receiver connect to pc?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can GPS Receiver connect to pc?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoneAWOL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Can GPS Receiver connect to pc? Reply with quote

Forgive my total lack of knowledge but ... can I use my CoPilot Live 5 Bluetooth GPS receiver with Memory-Map OS software? If I can, how do I download info from my desktop to my GPS receiver to use with Pocket Navigator on my PDA? do I need to connect the receiver to my pc using a USB cable? If so, where can I buy such a cable?

While I'm talking about the GPS receiver, ALK told me I could only charge the unit via the cigarette lighter socket in my car. Is this the case or is there a mains adapter I could buy?

Help would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Jackie D

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your PC have a Bluetooth connection? if so use this to display the GPS data, if not you can get a Bluetooth addaptor that simply plugs into a USB port on the PC these days they cost around £10

As for charging, if the GPS unit is fitted with a mini USB connection, plugging it in to the PC's USB port will charge it up, otherwise there are lots of mini USB style plug chargers that work off the mains avail for consideration

For cables to connect and charge from the PC (no data transfer), and or the Bluetooth "dongle" mentioned in my first para try and look up the local Maplin store, they are usually quite helpfull when looking for cables and the odd accesory for the PC - Mike
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to Mike's reply, I wondered if GoneAWOL's question was Copilot-specific, as the desktop module that comes with CP 6 for PPC does not have bluetooth support.

There may still be a version of Copilot specifically meant to run on a laptop computer, which is of course essentially a desktop computer that can practically be used on the move.

What certainly still is available is Microsoft Autoroute but, unlike Copilot, it does not give spoken instructions, so it is hazardous to use unless there is a passenger in the vehicle to read the route off the screen.

There are also various GPS-based utilities for the PC that do not produce routes, but can, for example, be used to insert a "stamp" in a document produced by other software in order to confirm where the user (or, at least, the computer) was at a given date and time. One of these is Visual GPS.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
johnbarnes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happily, one of the new features in MS AutoRoute 2006 is support for spoken guidance. I played with it enough to check that it works but have not yet needed to use it for real. I regard it as a backup available if the iPAQ (running Copilot 6.0.1.68) dies.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I looked on the ALK site (why didn't I do that before?) and see that they no longer list their laptop version of Copilot. Presumably, therefore, all they would sell you for a laptop, if anything at all, would be CP 5. Given the falling prices of PPCs and standalone navigators, that seems logical.

For the same reason, it's certainly interesting, and surprising, to read from johnbarnes that the new version of Autoroute includes voice guidance. I wonder if it is with a view to Microsoft bringing out a PPC Navigator system??

Paul
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have purchased a HP hx 2190 PPC as my host to run co-pilot 6 live and by strange coincidence the mains charger for this unit is an exact match to charge my co-pilot blue tooth GPS. The voltage, amp, + the plug are an exact match, just plug it in and charge. My GPS unit is BTGPS3 model: D1588-S

I can confirm that Microsoft Autoroute 2006 gives verbal directions, I use it at work in my truck, but the instructions are very basic considering it uses text to speech, and although you can import almost any poi data into it you get no audible warnings, I bought co-pilot because humping a laptop around as backup was becoming a pain, & I have noticed that ALK (Co-pilot), Directions (Infomap Navigator) are moving away from laptops & towards PPC
Lowbridge-Speed Camera Data
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since writing the above, I have had it drawn to my attention that ALK are still listing a laptop version of Copilot on their USA web site. However, its absence from their EU web site seems to suggest that it may be suitable for the US only.

Paul

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: