Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Globalsat announce the BT-359 next generation BT GPS device
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Globalsat announce the BT-359 next generation BT GPS device
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Globalsat announce the BT-359 next generation BT GPS device Reply with quote

Back in January at CES in Las Vegas we saw some of the new BT GPS devices in development. We have already seen the introduction of the entry level BT-328, and now they are announcing the replacement of the renowned BT-338.

Actually there are 2 new models the BT-359S and the BT-359W. The internals of these GPS receivers are the same, the differences are cosmetic in the design of the casing.

The Globalsat BT-359S (shown above) has a black case with a "solar" design on it. The Globalsat BT-359W (below) has a silver casing with with a "wave" design.

Both of the devices feature the latest in GPS technology with a super sensitive, low power SiRFStar III chipset and a battery capable of running the BT GPS for up to 11 hours.

Check out the Globalsat site for more details.

Globalsat Press Release wrote:
Globalsat BT-359: The Next Generation Bluetooth GPS Receiver

GlobalSat announces the next generation Bluetooth GPS receiver - the GlobalSat BT-359. Our new top of the line bluetooth GPS is both stylish and functional in true GlobalSat tradition. Taking its design criteria from the market leading BT-338 we have pushed the limits of GPS even further with greater sensitivity, more accuracy, and longer battery life than ever before.

Features:

The GlobalSat BT-359 contains the latest SiRFIII Low Power Chipset for high sensitivity. It communicates with Host Platforms (PDA, Laptop, and etc.) via Bluetooth Serial Port Profile. With Bluetooth version 2.0 and built-in ceramic patch antenna, the BT-359 provides faster acquisition times and improves accuracy in urban canyons and under dense foliage.

It contains a replaceable battery with a large capacity, which enables the BT-359 to operate for up to 11 hours. A slide battery lid makes it easy to remove and replace the battery without the use of tools. It also supports WAAS and EGNOS for even greater accuracy.

1. SiRF Star III high performance and low power consumption chipset
2. Communication with Host platform Via Bluetooth Serial Port Profile
3. Bluetooth Version 2.0.
4. Built-in ceramic patch antenna.
5. High sensitivity GPS receiver provides faster acquisition times and improves accuracy in urban canyons and under dense foliage.
6. Battery life up to 11 hours of operation time, in continuous mode.
7. Features power saving mode (powers down after 10 minutes of inactivity).
8. Supported by WAAS and EGNOS Satellite-Based Augmentation Systems for more accurate corrected position reports.
9. Physical dimensions: 82.0 mm x 41.0 mm x 13.4 mm.

xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Globalsat announce the BT-359 next generation BT GPS dev Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
Taking its design criteria from the market leading BT-338 we have pushed the limits of GPS even further with greater sensitivity, more accuracy, and longer battery life than ever before.

Features:
6. Battery life up to 11 hours of operation time, in continuous mode.

Yet the BT-338 has a battery life of up to 15 hours in continuous mode. Don't quite follow how they get as quoted "longer battery life than ever before".
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
aircub
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this is Bluetooth I presume it will work with Bluetooth 1.2 PDA's
Synth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will they be available in the UK?
EasyD2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synth wrote:
When will they be available in the UK?

As the UK Distributor for GlobalSat products EasyDevices will be bringing the first shipment into the UK next week.

We are currently taking pre-orders for the BT-359S and the BT-359W.

Tel: 0871 7000 156
Globalsat UK Distributor
Searcher2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that the RRP of the BT-359 is only £70 + VAT compared with £137 + VAT for the BT-338... but both are being sold for the same price at EasyDevices. I guess this is because the RRP for the BT-338 is an RRP from historic times... but if £70 + VAT is the new RRP it indicates to me that when the 359 becomes available in more outlets its price should drop to be very competitive as the £3 off that EasyDevices is offering won't cover the postage compared with buying in a shop.

However tempting it is to wait for the 359 I need a GPS now as I have just given mine to a friend in Spain (not as easy to get cheap there) and the 338 is available now and has better battery life. MMmmm. Any other recommendations welcome.
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if this comes with a car charger?
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. My review sample came with a carcharger and a USB cablefor the computer.
clem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:

How's that review coming along Mike? Any chance of a sneak preview, or to put it another way - if I was to order one would I be smiling when it arrived?

Laughing
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clem wrote:
MikeB wrote:

How's that review coming along Mike? Any chance of a sneak preview, or to put it another way - if I was to order one would I be smiling when it arrived?

Laughing

Well I havent done my long term or battery life tests yet, but I flew from London to New York today and it had managed to get an accurate fix before I had powered my PDA and loaded the Navigation application.

From what I have seen so far it is easily on par with the 338.
clem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike.

That's good enough for me!
Searcher2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit puzzled. If the internals are the same as the 338 how can it be any different from the 338? I thought it was only cosmetic difference and a different battery. The battery isn't the BL-5C used in Nokias is it?
Searcher2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies - I misread the original post... when it said that the internals were the same but the difference was in the design I thought it was comparing the 338. The 359 is now in stock at EasyDevices. Tempting!
Searcher2
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies - I misread the original post... when it said that the internals were the same but the difference was in the design I thought it was comparing the 338. The 359 is now in stock at EasyDevices. Tempting!
clem
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have my BT-359 hooked up and working now.

Thanks to Easydevices.co.uk for fast trackable delivery. I ordered it yesterday morning and it was delivered 20 minutes ago.

One question, when pairing the device it shows it as a BT-GPS-335FE5. Is this normal? I would have expected it to show BT-GPS-359 but it could just be down to the chipset name as opposed to the product number.

Hint: When first pairing the device with your PDA it may appear to pair but not ask for a passcode. If you then try and connect, it will fail. I thought I had a dud. However, after waiting for the GPS unit to get a lock (flashing green light) I then paired it again, this time it asked for a passcode and I could connect fine.

Works brilliantly with an IPAQ 2790 with latest firmware and TTNAV 5. Sat in the centre of the house ground floor, I have 7 strong sats locked. I never even got a full lock with my Fortuna Clip-on with the xtrak f/w upgrade.

So far so good! :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: