Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NMEA/SiRF mode?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NMEA/SiRF mode?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:05 pm    Post subject: NMEA/SiRF mode? Reply with quote

Is it true the GPSlim 236 does not use the SiRF mode by default (instead uses NMEA)? Does it have to be switched on manually using SiRFDemo?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, that is true for all consumer receivers. after a factory reset they all start up in NMEA mode.

Don't switch to SiRF mode unless you really know what you are doing.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Omzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but I heard SiRF mode is more accurate than NMEA, which is why I am thinking of making the switch. Any disadvantages of doing so?
Omzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I heard the TomTom One system can auto-switch between modes, have you heard about this?
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also interested in this, and have done a measure of study. Whatever you do, don't use SiRFDemo, as it seems it switches at the same time, mode to SiRF and baud to 57600. Unfortunately bluetooth can only run at 38400, so the 236 goes dead. Even Holux warned me against SiRFDemo, and implied the 236 cannot work in SiRF. I have tried to confirm this, but they are now not responding. ([url=mailto:Water_Lin@holux.com.tw]Water Lin[/url]) Some pods inhibit the baud change command, but I gather that the 236 does not, and just commits suicide.

Holux had said I should turn on WAAS using GPSView, as my accuracy is not as good as I think it should be. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get a DGPS 3D lock this way, so far. My discussion is here.

I have also asked here whether anyone has had success setting mode in the 236, using one of the other utilities out there, but no response. Beginning to suspect there are no experts here.

Finally, I seem to remember from way back that TomTom cannot work in SiRF mode, but no one here can confirm. SiRF mode sends binary data, rather than text. I doubt that any consumer-grade GPS can dynamically switch between modes, and it makes sense that TT would only work in the universal NEMA mode, as there are other chipsets than SiRF.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
Finally, I seem to remember from way back that TomTom cannot work in SiRF mode, but no one here can confirm. SiRF mode sends binary data, rather than text. I doubt that any consumer-grade GPS can dynamically switch between modes, and it makes sense that TT would only work in the universal NEMA mode, as there are other chipsets than SiRF.
This is correct, TomTom will only use the NMEA data stream, if you set the GPS unit to SiRF mode it will not work. I use the earlier TomTom GPS driver vs2,06 (downloadable from this site, check the downloads section) and use this to switch between the two modes, the only advantage I find is when walking with the GPS, I turn the Static Navigation OFF, then back on for car use. - Mike
Omzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
This is correct, TomTom will only use the NMEA data stream, if you set the GPS unit to SiRF mode it will not work.

Are you referring to TomTom Mobile here? I'm sure that's not true...

If it wont work in SiRF mode then what's the point of having SiRF mode?
Omzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone with a TomTom ONE system, he told me that SiRF mode is used by default and that it can auto-switch between modes as required (to save battery power, etc)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am refering to TomTom Navigator version 5,x running on a Pocket PC, if your GPS is set to SiRF then TomTom will not see the data, I am not too sure with the mobile Smart Phone devices as I have never loaded one with TomTom and tried it - Mike
Omzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, so in other words ur saying standalone GPS rcvrs wont work with TomTom in SiRF mode?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the support for TomTom to see and use the SiRF data stream ended with the demise of TomTom version 3, please don't confuse the data type with the hardware chipset though, a SiRF-III equipped device can still output NMEA data and therefore work with TomTOm vs5,x - Mike
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The v5 TTOne does NOT run SiRF mode, your friend is wrong. Most probably you are just mixing up chipset (which may well be SiRF) and protocol (which has to be NMEA for v5.

The SiRF protocol has no advantages for consumer use. You only need it temporarily to program the receiver.

If you messed around with the Holux and SiRFDemo then you can always remove the battery overnight to return the device to usable mode.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Omzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right so lets get this straight... My GPSlim 236 uses the SiRF Star III chipset and outputs NMEA data when used with TomTom?
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another question I haven't had answered: Static Navigation.

I gather that it is just better to turn off SN all the time, and that in fact leaving it on is what causes the jerky-jerky motion when hiking. I gather that it gives no benefit with today's hard/software, given that the datastream corruption was turned off in 2000.

So Mike, you are still using the TT2.6 driver with TTN5? What sort of driver is it, bluetooth? Does it actually have controls to modify mode and SN of the 236? Please clarify.

My bluetooth driver has just given me fits. I have had to reset my 4700 every day, for six months, and sometimes my Ipaq resets itself spontaneously. I do not know whether I am using the bluetooth stack from WM2003SE, or TTN5.
Omzy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey while ur here, I hope u can answer a query of mine regarding GPSViewer

When connected there are two boxes for 'powersave' and 'WAAS/EGNOS'

Firstly, what do each of these do?

And secondly, how do I get it to save these settings? When I reconnect my GPS to the PC, the checkboxes are cleared...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: