Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie, Tomtom and Microsoft Excell
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie, Tomtom and Microsoft Excell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wjs001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Newbie, Tomtom and Microsoft Excell Reply with quote

HI Guys and Gals
Newbie here. Just purchased a tomtom 700 and am over the moon with it. I have had two fitted satnav systems in my previous cars and this is by far the simplest to use, and has the most features. I am in possesion of an excell spreadsheet witch has quite litterally hundreds of points of interest in address format - name - number - street - town - county - country. Is it possible to convert this to tomtom format (I believe it is OV2) and if so how. I appologise if this has been addressed before and a simple link to the appropriate forum would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance and I will pass on as much information to you all as i figure things out and attempt to be a productive member of this group.
Regards
Wayne Laughing
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use POI converter, then add a 22x22 pixel bitmap icon for the POI.
http://rjdavies.users.btopenworld.com/html/poiconverter.html
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet wrote:
Use POI converter, then add a 22x22 pixel bitmap icon for the POI.l

You will first of all have to convert the Spreadsheet details into a format that POIConverter can understand.

The most popular way is to use AutoRoute. You can feed the Spreadsheet Data into it and it will place the locations with Longitude and Latitude points. But be aware that not all Postcodes (or House Numbers/Street Names) are recognised by Autoroute.

The Saved Autoroute .axe File can then be converted to several Formats, include OV2. Also be aware that POIConverter will truncate the TomTom text to 32 Characters by default. This can be altered in the options to a maximum of 128 but you have to change it each time you run the program.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
wjs001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D Thank you so much for that information, I will use it wisely. Just a couple of added points - Can you recomend a program to make the 22x22 images and secondly, I cannot seem to get it to import the names so all I get is POI or a number (I have imported 130 names and addresses). Can anyone offer up advise. Cheers Yall.
Wayne
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any "paint" program should be able to make the icons, even Microsoft "Paint" which is included with all versions of Windows (although it is pretty awful for anything more complex it will do this! Open up a new drawing window, go to "Image" on the menu, select "Attributes" and change the width and height to 22 (with units set to pixels in the box below). Good luck - its like drawing with a very small etch-a-sketch!

Other paint programs include Paintshop Pro, Photopaint, Photoshop (serious money) but there are loads of shareware progs too.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wjs001 wrote:
secondly, I cannot seem to get it to import the names so all I get is POI or a number (I have imported 130 names and addresses). Can anyone offer up advise. Cheers Yall.
Wayne

In Autoroute on Data Import, you have the option in the second window to specify the Data Type. Click the Drop Down List and Select Name and this will set that Columns Data to be the Text you see on the Screen.

There is also a Name2 if you want to join 2 columns together.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
wjs001
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so so so much. Right we are nearly there. All imported with names (I've had to include an extra column in excel with numbers 101 - 231 instead of 1-130 but what the hell). All that is left for me to do is get the bitmap 22x22 image next to the favourites name on the tom tom. Any ideas. By the way if any wants to contact me regarding this whole procedure I willl be most happ to help anyone. Next week its planning routes so I will need all the help I can get Laughing Out Loud.
Cheers

Wayne
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you have created your bitmaps (22x22 pixels) using Microsoft Paint or whatever, (I use MS Paint as it is simple) you must name the bitmap to exactly the same name as your ov2 files of POIs. So if your ov2 file is named Friends.ov2, then your bitmap for that POI type must be named Friends.bmp and both the ov2 file and the bmp must be saved in your map folder (usually Great_Britain_Map) found in the root directory of your TT. You will not be able to create a separate bitmap icon for each of your addresses as the TT is limited to only 39 user POI groups.

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: