Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - (Nuvi 360) Questions.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

(Nuvi 360) Questions.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: (Nuvi 360) Questions. Reply with quote

Hi to all.
Here's a chance for all of you to get on your soapbox if you don't mind.
I am currently running a TT910. This is due to be returned very shortly due to a number of issues with the software and the mount.
I am currently comparing specs of the nuvi 360 to the TT910 and the 360 has the important bits that I need.
Can anyone answer the following questions:-
1. How clear is the bluetooth connection using the in built mike?
2. Does the audiobook facility really work?
3. Is the TTS any good?
4. Can you add voices if not using the TTS?
5. Can you add voice warnings for safety cams etc.?
6. Can I add all the camera files as speed zoned, (23 files in total)?
And here's the biggie,
7. Would you guys recommend the 360.

I know all Sat nav devices have their quirks etc, and I can live with some of them, it's just that the TT910 has more than most.

The biggest beef I have with the 910 is the mount, I think TT have dropped a major clanger here having all the connections on the mount and not the unit, and at the moment, it can only be mounted on the windscreen, which I hate, and after 2 weeks use is now dropping the power connection.
Your views and comments would be appreciated as I have got 5 days left before my 28 days are up to return the TT.
Thanking you in advance.

CeeJay.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, i've used a nuvi 300 but only seen a 360 (as opposed to using one) but i'll answer what i can!

2 - on the 300 the audiobook works fine

4 - not sure about adding voices... i presume you mean novelty ones? if so then i don't think you can really get them for garmins. is it really that important?!

5 - again, not sure about voice warnings. on the i3 and nuvi 300 you just got the standard bong when you approached and then constant bong-bong's if you were over the set limit - as opposed to the one single warning on the tom tom's

6 - yes - speed zoned is no problem. no number limit for the amount of types of poi

7 - YES- very recomended! just from my experience of the 300 and seeing the 360. v.small unit, so much handier than the tom tom.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you will see around here I am smitten by the size and suitability of the Nuvi for a traveller.
Talking book works well in the car and when a turn prompt comes on the book restarts back just before where it was when the prompt started.
MP 3 player works well.
Others say that the 310 blue tooth is good.so I would go for the 360 if you need the BT feature
I've added aboiut 90 + thousand european POI's to my 350 and two talking books and MP3 files on a 2GB card all works fine.
Loaded updated firmware this morning with no prob as as well.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MaFt.
Thanks for taking time out to answer.
My responses to your replies are:-
2. Audiobook on the TT is well tempremental and the unit keeps 'greying' out the icon so you cannot use it. Can only get it reset by deactivating and reactivating the device through audible.com's software on my PC. No good if you're out on the road.
4. Voices not mega important, just curious.
5. Voice warnings for cameras not too major either, I like the idea of the constant bong's if you are over the limit. At the end of the day that's all I need to know.
6. Had major grief getting more than 16 'active' POI's on an old Navman. Don't want to get caught out again.
7. Looks like I'll be getting one if someone could just confirm that the bluetooth works OK.

Thanks again.

CeeJay.
rosiei
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also considering swopping my Tom Tom 910 for the Nuvi 360 because the bluetooth is crap--I was a Garmin user for a number of years before I got my Tom Tom.....Luckily PC world are going to extend my 28 days return policy as Tom Tom are not releasing anymore for at least 2-3 weeks because of their problems and I need my Sat Nav this week for my holiday.

Also some questions from me.

1. Can the text to speak be turned on and off-
2. Can iyou choose for t just read just Rd numbers rather than numbers and streets.
3. What is the text to speak like?--I read its rather robotic--whereas the Tom tom is very human like.Has anyone got any samples for me to hear.
4. Blue tooth--Is it Good.
5. How smooth is the 3D map--the tom tom is great.

Thanks in advance
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there cantget lost.
Your post appeared as I was typing my previous one. Embarassed
IMO too many software problems with the TT. I think maybe the release was too hasty.
And don't get me started on the mount issue. Grrrr Mine was OK for two weeks now it seems to have joined everyone else's e.g. dropping the power supply and rebooting after going over a bump.

Looks like you may have just convinced me to change.

Many thanks.
rosiei
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to ask--when listening to MP3 does the music pause when a road instruction is read or can you choose what option you want.
chris_w
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Ceejay,

I think I'll be getting one of these over a 910.

I'm also intersted how the Bluetooth performs...... and if you can navigate using postcode.

Chris
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rosiei.
I have to say the bluetooth on my TT works really well (Nokia 6230i) using the external mike.
But hey we're not here to discuss the merits of TT, I am just so peeved about the mount.
I want to plug my wires into the unit and not the mount and mount it on my dash without a major feat of engineering.

CeeJay.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you can turn TTS off - just select another language that isn't proceeded by (TTS)

MaFt
rosiei
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then I'd have no speach at all surely. I want to just maybe have road numbers not the whole street name
hutchys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also returned my 910. It started freezing, I struggled getting MP3 files on it. The mount I did not really have a problem with, but that was because it was resting on the dash and the weight was supported.
Anyway I am also looking at the Nuvi 360 or the C550. Are these very similar regarding what it does other than the obivous size difference?I must admit I am leaning towards the C550 and the built in TMC aerial. Looking at the two specs this seems to be the main difference. I think the C550 is due out in the next couple of weeks when they both can be looked at and a decision made.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I returned my 910 after 7 days and purchased a Nuvi 350 with the TMC receiver, I'm vey pleased. I considered the C550 due to price my only concern was how well the TMC would work. The decision was easy when I was offered the 350 with TMC for £500

Initially there were problems but these have been fixed with the V3.3 firmware update. TTS is clear, the English female voice is too quiet, the male voice is good.

The biggest problem you will have if you are used to using TomTom is alwas comparing the two products.
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have used nuvi in Italy, Switzerland, France, Spain, Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland and here at home.
Problems have been zero apart from losing a little POI data I should have stored when I updated firmware today.
I've had no lock ups and poste code navigating has worked very well here, European post codes work but can cover a wide area, but the nuvi has not failed to get to destination yet.
Walking around places like Rome, Venice, Barcelona and Brussels with it in my shirt pocket it has also performed 10 out of 10.
It has even found satellite lock in a ferry in dense woodland and inside wooden buildings and under tree and sunshade cover in Luxembourg.
Nuvi 310 users report Blue Tooth as good so the 360's should be the same.
Also talking book can be heard OK in the car at speed on continental motorways!
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All.
It looks to me as if the ayes have it.
Thanks for all your input.
To Speedcam.
With regard to comparing the two products, I would say that if everything worked on the TT as it said on the tin and the mount issue got sorted it would be a good unit. But I'm afraid it was the mount issues that pushed me over the edge, the disconnecting problem is IMO only going to get worse as time goes by with wear etc.

My wishlist for a sat nav device would be:-
1. Clear bluetooth (TT good most of the time)
2. Working audiobooks (given up with the TT as it disables the icon when it feels like it)
3. Safety cam warnings (can't get two warnings if two cameras on the same road unless a direction instruction is issued in between cameras)
4. Dash mount (impossible with the current mount without major engineering)
5. Plug wires into unit not mount.
Voila.
Thanking you all once again for you views and opinions, it is much appreciated.

CeeJay.

Right, now where did I put that box?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: