Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTS Problems with the new CP6 Patch
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTS Problems with the new CP6 Patch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rubberman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: TTS Problems with the new CP6 Patch Reply with quote

I am having problems with TTS with the new US v6.0.1.22. It wants to default to wave files, even though I have selected TTS in Settings/Language and Speech. I have found what I believe to be a workaround. After I start Co-Pilot, I immediately go to Settings/Language and Speech and tap "Listen". If I hear the TTS voice, which occurs most of the time, I click OK and start my trip. After that, all directions are in TTS. If I don't do this first, it defaults to wave files and doesn't give me the road names, etc. that are associated with TTS.

Has anyone else experienced this problem with the latest CP6 patch (US or UK) and has a permanent fix been found - short of another ALK patch?

Regards,

G.W. Quigley
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admittedly I am using the UK patch, but I too have experienced problems getting the correct voice. If I changed from the default UK Wave Jane, to UK TTS Roger, even thogh Roger was showing in the box, it was US John who was speaking! I got around this by selecting a non-UK voice, re-starting the application, and then selecting the one I wanted.

It is almost that you can't have your first choice on the very first change - it is only available on the second and subsequent changes.
FatOldSun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded to the new patch last week, it looks like they've made some nice improvements to the software. However in the instructions it tells you to remove PocketSpeech - now I can't use the TTS voice at all, if I go to settings and try to listen to Roger, he's silent. If Im on a route it uses UK Jane WAV. Any ideas how to get TTS back?
Bohica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Having contacted ALK support on the very same subject,and had a "Liveley" discussion with one of their tech guys,as far as they are concerned there's no issue,Problem "Resolved".........

I beleve the TTS issue may well be down to a memory leak in the main app,but who knows......as you don't get much mileage out of ALK.....

They need to recognise this issue,plus the Safety Camera warning one,where the Demo shows the designated Speed,in reality is shows the GPS speed value.

Also the issue of maps not displaying camera icons,or only displaying them when it feels like it.

And how about ensuring that the ALK support site gives you the correct information on how to import camera databases or any databases for that matter correctly............

And finally what about getting their act together and sorting out "Traffic"
Just turning round to people and saying "We'd like to but......" really isn't good enough.

Come on ALK pull your socks up and get CP6 sorted out
FatOldSun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the TTS disappears when you use the Data Download Wizard from the desktop application. I managed to get TTS working by running the CAB installer file and reinstalling Copilot over the top of the previous installation on my Pocket PC. Then I tried following the instructions to get the cameras to appear but that didn't seem to work, so I imported them the old way into Custom 1 on the desktop application, then ran the Data Download Wizard onto my SD card. When I ran Copilot again, TTS had stopped working again! So now I need to try reinstalling it again and hope it keeps my custom POI's.
Bohica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok....I think I'm getting a handle on the TTS issue........
I've just installed WM5 onto my HX4700.And WM5 handles memory in a completely different way....
Re-installed CP6(Desktop) and the patch... used Cardreader download to get PCC app installed,along with SpeedCams etc....

Lo an behold,TTS is back(Good!),although there's now a fight breaking out between "Roger",giving directions and POI's,and "Jane" giving the Safety camera alerts.........and you'll get both voices if you happen to ben near a turn,and a safteycam at the same time........I think a divorce is in the offing as "Jane" seems to win all these arguments hands down(too much like real life(Laughing Out Loud)...

Bottom line,Memory related issues? with CP6?.....
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohica wrote:
I've just installed WM5 onto my HX4700.And WM5 handles memory in a completely different way....
Re-installed CP6(Desktop) and the patch... used Cardreader download to get PCC app installed,along with SpeedCams etc....

Lo an behold,TTS is back(Good!),although there's now a fight breaking out between "Roger",giving directions and POI's,and "Jane" giving the Safety camera alerts.........and you'll get both voices if you happen to ben near a turn,and a safteycam at the same time........I think a divorce is in the offing as "Jane" seems to win all these arguments hands down(too much like real life(Laughing Out Loud)...

Bottom line,Memory related issues? with CP6?.....

I have this issue also.

Did you say that you resolved it on the previous device by just reinstalling the Copilot.cab directly to the SD card? Instead of via the data download wizard?

ALK support gave me advice on how to solve but it didnt work and told me to send a SD card to them and they would get it all working for me.

BTW Their advice was to launch CP, go to settings, test the TTS, launch the demo (make sure TTS is spoken), exit CP, relaunch and it should all be OK - but it made no difference.

Thanks

Matt
Bohica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,
In short no.......
I used the data download wizard to download the data to my 2gb Hitachi mini CF Drive.So no great change from the norm there...

Having inserted the card into the HX4700,CP6 was automatically loaded,and the usual config tasks undertaken.(This included setting TTS,and playing the demo,to "Set" the option).

Installed the safetyCam databases (UK & FR ones) via the "New" method(Saving the files to the save folder,and removing all the AO*** files)

and booting to CP6.....TTS there,SpeedCamIcons there(most of the time)

The main difference as stated before war the prior install of WM5 OS as opposed to PCC 2003 Pro.The handling of the PCC main memory is handled differently...

Cheers.....
hairydog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohica wrote:

I think a divorce is in the offing as "Jane" seems to win all these arguments hands down(too much like real life(Laughing Out Loud)...

Bottom line, Memory related issues? with CP6?.....

I think it is down to a bug in the HX4700 and WM5. There is a serious problem with a memory compaction thread called filesys, which really slugs the performance of an HX4700 running WM5. Luckily there is a fix for it - a Google will find it for you, or start from http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=929&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

My HX4700 seemed a bit slower after installing WM5, but over time it got slower and slower, and CP6 acted as you describe, then stopped working properly at all.

Insall the filesys fix, and the 4700 is faster than it was on WM2003 and is a different device entirely. CP6 wiorks a treat as well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: