Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
Read the current newsletter! Weekly
Newsletter
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navteq maps the republic of Ireland...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navteq maps the republic of Ireland...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NAVTEQ Digital Map Data
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bumpydog
Occasional Visitor


Joined: 14/04/2003 00:18:51
Posts: 10
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding was that the Navteq Q4/2005 maps had 100% coverage of Ireland? I've been using Route66 Mobile 7 for some time now and the mapping here is pretty good, routing to tiny out-of-the-way streets out in the sticks. Prior to this, it was impossible to even find the national roads on the maps. Maybe the Q1/2006 is a clean-up of the earlier release as I've seen quite a few minor issues of roads not showing in some established areas and one town (and all its streets and POI's), Trim, in Co. Meath is labelled as Navan (quite a few miles away!)

Other than that...mighty impressed.

M.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JokerNI
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jun 24, 2004
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Hmmm Reply with quote

Hi All

What I think we need is a program to allow us to convert/compile telealtas and Navteq maps to work with TomTom......


Wonder how long will it take Telealtas to get their finger out.......


JokerNI
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neil01
Frequent Visitor


Joined: May 06, 2005
Posts: 902
Location: Leeds

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmmm Reply with quote

JokerNI wrote:
Hi All

What I think we need is a program to allow us to convert/compile telealtas and Navteq maps to work with TomTom......


Wonder how long will it take Telealtas to get their finger out.......


JokerNI


You may well find that the compiled format is proprietry to TomTom and they (rather than the map suppliers) as copyright owners would not permit any program which allowed you to complile your own maps.

Also, regardless of the possibility of such software, and any licencing restrictions, the map suppliers charge much more for map data than TomTom charge for their products.

As to whether TomTom (anfd the others) will see a market in just providing reasonably priced regular map updates (say 2 a year) to work with their existing products - now that would be good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
batterseamike
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Mar 01, 2006
Posts: 23
Location: Battersea, London

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmmm Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
JokerNI wrote:
Hi All

What I think we need is a program to allow us to convert/compile telealtas and Navteq maps to work with TomTom......


Wonder how long will it take Telealtas to get their finger out.......


JokerNI


You may well find that the compiled format is proprietry to TomTom and they (rather than the map suppliers) as copyright owners would not permit any program which allowed you to complile your own maps.

Also, regardless of the possibility of such software, and any licencing restrictions, the map suppliers charge much more for map data than TomTom charge for their products.

As to whether TomTom (anfd the others) will see a market in just providing reasonably priced regular map updates (say 2 a year) to work with their existing products - now that would be good.


Well said Neil!! Your thought "As to whether TomTom (and the others) will see a market in just providing reasonably priced regular map updates (say 2 a year) to work with their existing products - now that would be good." is to be applauded and should, I think, receive the backing of all users. Perhaps a petition to Hardware suppliers? I think all of us going to Edinburgh should raise the point with their respective manufacturers - if the voice is united, perhaps the ears will listen!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Greenglide
Lifetime Member


Joined: Apr 04, 2006
Posts: 295
Location: South East Northumberland, UK

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt the concept of paying for map updates and getting the software free (which is effectively what happens now) what TomTom have announced for Q2 2006.

What would be nice is to pay an annual licence and receive incremental map updates during the year.

This would finally get rid of the issues I have had with TomTom trying to keep map versions and issue dates a closely guarded secret

This month:-

What is the current map version?,

"What map version do you have?"

571.

"That is the latest version available in the marketplace."

Which raises an issue as to where 605 and 632 came from!

Legal action pending due to significantly misdescribing goods ("with all the latest maps") - bought in March 2006 with version 571 map Evil or Very Mad .
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
batterseamike
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Mar 01, 2006
Posts: 23
Location: Battersea, London

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenglide wrote:
Isnt the concept of paying for map updates and getting the software free (which is effectively what happens now) what TomTom have announced for Q2 2006.

What would be nice is to pay an annual licence and receive incremental map updates during the year.

This would finally get rid of the issues I have had with TomTom trying to keep map versions and issue dates a closely guarded secret

This month:-

What is the current map version?,

"What map version do you have?"

571.

"That is the latest version available in the marketplace."

Which raises an issue as to where 605 and 632 came from!

Legal action pending due to significantly misdescribing goods ("with all the latest maps") - bought in March 2006 with version 571 map Evil or Very Mad .


Good luck to you - it seems to me that TomTom are more intent on bringing new hardware onto the market than ensuring the content is up to date. I am expecting to be told any day now that the TomTom Classic is obsolete and no further updates will be available........I had to get a replacement windscreen holder from eBay as accesories for the classic seem to be scarce from source. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Greenglide
Lifetime Member


Joined: Apr 04, 2006
Posts: 295
Location: South East Northumberland, UK

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The action is against the supplier of the goods, not TomTom because the Sale of Goods Act confers rights against the supplier not the manufacturer.

It cannot be pleasant selling TomTom products (except for the possible profits) as TomTom would appear to be as helpful to their retailers as they are to their end-users.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
I_am_the_Architect
Occasional Visitor


Joined: May 06, 2006
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Navteq implementation Reply with quote

I'm in the market for a portable/in car GPS. I live in the UK currently but plan to move to Ireland within the year.

Which devices use Navteq map databases and which models will have current data (if any of those have good roadmaps of Northern Spain/Galicia it will be a bonus) Question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vipergrm
Regular Visitor


Joined: Aug 08, 2005
Posts: 82

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly, the best software available is the new 'AA Navigator'. This seems to be the only way to get the new Q1 2006 maps which apparently have complete coverage of Ireland AND Iberia. You may want to wait until Destinator 6 comes out during mid May, but both should do the job nicely for you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neil01
Frequent Visitor


Joined: May 06, 2005
Posts: 902
Location: Leeds

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the AA navigator only covered the UK and ROI. I can find no mention of any Continental coverage on their website.

Also, from what I can see, AA Navigator, may have some useful features, but the application may not be quite as extensive as some of the others. Judging by the Instruction manual I downloaded, it appears to be rather light on features and settings (not than I am in any way suggesting it doesn't do what it does very well - certainly it seems to do thing in a very British manner, presenting in a format we are used to) so be warned, it may not do what you need.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RobBrady
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff


Joined: Jul 21, 2004
Posts: 2718
Location: Chelmsford, UK

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmmm Reply with quote

batterseamike wrote:
I think all of us going to Edinburgh should raise the point with their respective manufacturers - if the voice is united, perhaps the ears will listen!


Pleased to report that the feedback from the last show regarding getting the powers that be to listen was very positive Smile

100s have already signed up for free places for the Expo. The more the merrier! http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=38074
_________________
Robert Brady
Editor, Pocket GPS World
The Premier GPS / SatNav Resource for News, Reviews and Forums
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gmonkey
Frequent Visitor


Joined: Oct 17, 2005
Posts: 390
Location: Washington DC

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Good luck to you - it seems to me that TomTom are more intent on bringing new hardware onto the market than ensuring the content is up to date.


But doesn't teleatlas update their maps the most frequently?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor


Joined: Jun 15, 2005
Posts: 61

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmonkey wrote:
Quote:
Good luck to you - it seems to me that TomTom are more intent on bringing new hardware onto the market than ensuring the content is up to date.


But doesn't teleatlas update their maps the most frequently?


It is nothing to do with NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas as to which dtabase release goes on a particular product. NAVTEQ and TeleAtlas both release 4 times a year, it is down to the customer (Garmin, Route 66 etc) as to when they take these releases. No customer takes every release, although the option is there if they want it. Looking into the future it will be possible to take a release every night, meaning that updates can be down whenever the customer wants it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Myles
Occasional Visitor


Joined: May 24, 2005
Posts: 10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Navteq implementation Reply with quote

I_am_the_Architect wrote:
I'm in the market for a portable/in car GPS. I live in the UK currently but plan to move to Ireland within the year.

Which devices use Navteq map databases and which models will have current data (if any of those have good roadmaps of Northern Spain/Galicia it will be a bonus) Question


Destinator 6 is very good for Ireland, its still missing some major road names around Dublin, they are relatively new roads...3 years old or so, at least they are on the map. As for Galicia, I will get some feed back by end of August, it will be mainly in the La Coruna and Santiago area's. TomTom is pretty hopeless in these area's, and totally useless in Ireland. I did spot a Teleatlas survey van on the N7 in Ireland around 2 months ago, so we may seem some update on that front.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
byrnefm
Occasional Visitor


Joined: Jun 23, 2006
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received Destinator 6 yesterday (want to play with it a bit more before giving my opinions on it) - it certainly seems to cover more with regards to rural Ireland (Donegal being one such example). Haven't gone into too much depth with it for Dublin yet, though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message







Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Back to top
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> NAVTEQ Digital Map Data All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB 2.0.11 © 2001 phpBB Group
phpBB port v2.1 based on Tom Nitzschner's phpbb2.0.6 upgraded to phpBB 2.0.4 standalone was developed and tested by:
ArtificialIntel, ChatServ, mikem,
sixonetonoffun and Paul Laudanski (aka Zhen-Xjell).

Version 2.1 by Nuke Cops 2003 http://www.nukecops.com

Make a Donation



CamerAlert Database

Click here for the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database

Download Speed Camera Database
19.114 (24 Nov 21)



WORLDWIDE SPEED CAMERA SPOTTERS WANTED!

Click here to submit camera positions to the PocketGPSWorld.com Speed Camera Database


12mth Subscriber memberships awarded every week for verified new camera reports!

Submit Speed Camera Locations Now


CamerAlert Apps



iOS QR Code






Android QR Code







Terms & Privacy


GPS Shopping