Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Did someone steal the satellites?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Did someone steal the satellites?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Did someone steal the satellites? Reply with quote

On Wednesday evening, I used my CP6 without problem. I've done nothing to it other than to enter a destination on Thursday evening, ready for a trip today.

However, today, during 5 hours of driving, it failed to get a satellite fix.

I soft reset the PDA. I reset the GPS. I even reloaded the CP6 software from the SD card.

During the day, all I ever got was "determining current position". On screen, I nearly always had just the red "led" showing, with occasional yellow, and for a short time, a second yellow, but never a fix.

The GPS status showed that the PDA was talking to the receiver, but it was always stuck at "searching for satellites". If I turned off the BTGPS receiver, the PDA instantly showed "no GPS connection - check connections" (or something like that).

It was clearly finding some satellites, as when I looked at the satellite list, it showed about eight, but all with zero signal strength.

I tried placing the receiver on the dashboard (usually works perfectly from a small cubbyhole in the centre console)

Its almost as if someone turned off all the satellites

Any ideas?
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the sattelites have not been turned off, and you have re-installed CoPilot, it is probably fair to assume that you have not correctly reinstalled CoPilot (hopefully) or, you have a hardware problem.

On the CoPilot front, did you setup the GPS after you reloaded? - it seems to disconnect itself whenever you re-install.

Menu | Options | GPS | Setup GPS | etc

Sorry I can't give further details from here because they will vary depending upon the equipment you have.

I sometimes find that I have more success with the initial fix (or if the PDA has been switched off for a few days, or moved many miles while switched off) if I set it up outside with a good all-round view of the sky, or at an upstairs house window.
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NigelO writes:

Quote:
... during 5 hours of driving, it failed to get a satellite fix...

I believe that your problem might be the one already discuss on the thread entitled SABOTAGE? at the following link:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=36999&highlight=

If so, you should be able to get up and running by re-installing your receiver as a non-bluetooth one. Why it should be necessary is still a mystery to me, but at least it works - for now anyway.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the time/date set correctly on your PDA.

I'm not sure if this still causes a problem with cp6 but it's caught me out in the past.
NigelO
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention the time / date thing. I clicked on just about every screen possible to see what I could find. Somewhere in the GPS settings, it listed the UTS(?) time (1 hour out, probably due to BST) but the date was several days out.

I've also been getting alarms going off for no apparent reason (none set). I get several alarms at the same time on a soft reset.

Looks like its time for a hard reset.
sirhardi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O

Oh how bizarre is this ??
I too lost the original BT receiver that was shipped with CPL5, it just quit qworking , sees satelites but can't hook into them ... Question
fruit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ClipOn has stopped working, or at least getting a lock, in ST mode, but works fine in XT. Always worked fine for some 2 or 3 years previously.
Firebird
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Did someone steal the satellites? Reply with quote

NigelO wrote:
If I turned off the BTGPS receiver, the PDA instantly showed "no GPS connection - check connections" (or something like that).

Any ideas?

I have seen that on more than one happening.

Did you remove the battery from the gps for a few seconds.

If you do that, mine immediately finds all the satts. again.

'bird
MaDProFF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this problem ever gt solved, or an answer given to give an explanation?
HTC Touch Pro 2
I had this problem this week with CP7 for no reason it found satellites, but could not get a position lock. never had a problem before, though a few times it has taken a while to lock.
I tried everything (In car, out of car, soft resets, updating quickgps, resetting the sat position to nearest city) and all day it was the same, there seem to be 3 or 4 sats found, but no lock.

In the end I did a hard reset that evening, and it seemed to work ok again, but I notice it was finding 5 sats to lock, maybe it has to have 5, seems a lot to give a position. and again ever since works great locking a position in a matter of seconds in general.
Maybe it was atmospheric problem not getting enough sat fixes to give a position?
Maybe Co-pilot is not the way to go?
grmills
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It needs a minimum of three satellites to provide a basic 2-dimensional fix but accuracy improves significantly with more.

As for "where did all the satellites go?" take a look at this:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/may/19/gps-close-to-breakdown
NAVSTAR-GPS running short of satellites would have more of an impact than the article suggests as a lot of modern infrastructure (trains, mobile phones etc) rely on GPS to generate an accurate time signal. Modern farmers even use differential GPS / EGNOS to spray their fields in a straight line. Your domestic satnav will struggle to correctly identify your location in towns and other areas where roads are close together if they do run short of satellites. The article I read a few weeks ago (in a professional journal, sorry can’t find it now) reckoned it was a lot more serious/likely than the Guardian makes out.

My brother's TomTom and my CP7 were both poor at locking on a couple of weeks ago, not every time in my case but sometimes no fix for an hour or so, so I would suggest that there was probably an outage in the constellation somewhere. The conspiracy theorist in me usually suspects this sort of issue to be a result of the US moving all the satellites out east ready to invade Iranistan or similar but because the signal came back relatively quickly I think it was a malfunction.

Roll on Galileo, which will use GPS and GLONASS satellites as well as its own, so should never run short. In theory…

(Apols for the length of post, I got carried away)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: