Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Keep Right???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Keep Right???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: Keep Right??? Reply with quote

We've just got back from a week in Suffolk ( lovely county) using TT2 and with regard to the discussions re selecting speeds vs road types I set the major roads etc at sensible high figures and set all the minor road groups to the minimum apart from the 'destination road' which was set at 20. I had absolutely no problems with that although, inevitably , I found that on the way home it avoided a B road which I knew was good enough but that is the penalty.

Anyway to the main point. The puzzle I have is over the instructions I get. Sometimes I am told to Turn Right - that's clearly no problem. Sometimes I am told to 'Bear Right' - which I have found to be essentially the same thing, and sometimes I am told to 'Keep Right'. This last one had me fooled. First time I assumed it meant take up a position in the right lane - perhaps to avoid a left lane leaving the road - but in fact it also meant Turn Right. On all subsequent occasions when hearing 'Keep Right' - I did turn right and that was fine but I am puzzled about how each of these phrases is chosen. Initially I deduced it was to do with the angle of the road I was joining - e.g. Turn Right meant 90 degrees or higher. Bear Right perhaps might mean 45 to 90 degrees and 'Keep Right' something less that 45 deg say.

Does anyone have a clear knowledge of how each of these is computed?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see that I am not the only one confused...

Basically you got it correct

keep right - enter the rightmost lane, follow it if it turns
bear right - turns that are less than 60 degrees (i just made this number up, but it is somewhere below 90)
turn right - everything else.

Now the problem is that the map data doesn't always reflect reality properly. Streets and crossings and turns are represented as polygons (connected lines) and sometimes the granularity (the placement of the GPS dots) is fooling TomTom to think that this right turn is a real one when in reality it's just a slight bend in the street.

So most of the times you should blame TeleAtlas (or the person who last surveyed the road) rather than TomTom. GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
RoyC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz

As always - thank you for the clarifiation. I have to say that I have found the safety screen more useful so I don't actually see the actual map in 3D. Perhaps I should spend more time getting used to that view - it might aid understanding of what to do.

Thanks again

Roy
jaguar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Basically you got it correct

keep right - enter the rightmost lane, follow it if it turns

I know this thread is a year old, but I've only just come across it. I too was puzzled by 'keep right' instructions that come up when approaching a motorway exit, but only on some.

I've worked it out, finally. "Keep right" is declared when an upcoming exit is another motorway or road for which there is no roundabout or opportunity to stop. In other words, an exit that merges with the road you are on. An ordinary exit with a roundabout or longabout gives no warning but if you're approaching an exit which, once you are on, you cannot correct your decision, it says 'keep right'. Makes sense, really.

Jaguar
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Keep Right Reply with quote

The keep right seems to happen when motorways have exits to other motorways. It happens on the M25-J23-A1M junction where there is a roundabout.

However it also happens where every road with no junction crosses the M11 Northbound on a three mile section between J7 & J8.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - TomTom Navigator 2 tells you to keep right when it wants you to stay on the motorway you're on rather than join another motorway that diverges at that point.

Sometimes, presumably due to glitches in the mapping data, you're told to "go straight on" when passing a T junction - it happens on a B road near where I live (incidentally half a mile down the road from an error in the maps - the B road is marked as 'not for navigation' when it's a public right of way).

I guess the "M11 bug" (as it has become known) that MrT mentions is a similar kind of glitch in the mapping data.

David
SlimboyFat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a simular fault near me.

At a point where the road has a slight curve to the left there is a definite turn to the right. This Right is announced as "Keep Right" whilst continuing on the road a "Turn Left".

If you do turn right, not half a mile down the road, it does a sharp bear left and the a sharp bear right (Z bend). On the bear right there is a left turn which is actually straight on (??? The actual raod bears right but there is a juction allowing you to continue in a straight line). Tom Tom takes the continuing on the same road as a Turn Right and the Turn Left (Physical road going in straight line) as the continuation of the road.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that m11 thing does my head in every week arrrrraararrgggghghh Mr. Green

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Trenery
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Keep Right and Keep Left Reply with quote

I find that TomTom is a pain when it keeps using Keep Right and Keep left. on the M25 there are places whenit tells you to keep right when there is not even a left turn in site.

I think the feature is rubbish and quite confusing. I hope they remove it or make it an option. It is not needed and does not help navigate at all. In fact it is very confusing.
SlimboyFat
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Pocket PC Sat NAv after driving the gaffers car with factory fitted Sat Nav (Rover 75).

That only uses the Keep Right when there is a junction where the left lane filters off so if you don't get in the 2nd or 3rd lane you would automatically leave the motorway.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: