Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The PocketGPSWorld.com Garmin Nuvi review.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The PocketGPSWorld.com Garmin Nuvi review.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weebroonie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Garmin 300 Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your fast response but so far I have found if I request a Truck route it normally adds miles to the car/motorcycle route.
Going from Derby to Tring (Herts) the car /motorcycle was via Dunstable (106 miles) changing to the truck route it recalculated and went via the M25 and A41 which was 123 miles so the route changed and avoided most of the country lanes.

Regards

Weebroonie
markjohnson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin 300 Reply with quote

Weebroonie wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your fast response but so far I have found if I request a Truck route it normally adds miles to the car/motorcycle route.
Going from Derby to Tring (Herts) the car /motorcycle was via Dunstable (106 miles) changing to the truck route it recalculated and went via the M25 and A41 which was 123 miles so the route changed and avoided most of the country lanes.

Regards

Weebroonie

Hi,

Well, I have my Nuvi set to avoid unpaved roads, set to truck, and set to fastest route and it took me down a one car wide lane at the weekend when there was a perfectly good road to get there (latest firmware & v8 maps).

Also, have a read of the thread with the self explanatory title "Nuvi 350 - Loves the back roads!"

Kind regards,

Mark
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have been running with Nuvi 350 for a short time now and I'm well impressed.
Good screen size but fits in my shirt pocket Laughing
Mapping is good and in France, Belgium and Holland Ive had no probs. I undesrtan fuller Republic of Ireland mapping is coming soon but main cities and Northern Ireland seem to be as up to gdate as can be fair!
As a high mileage traveller spending quite a lot of time in Europe, I walked around in Brussels last week and got it out of my shirt pocket when I wanted to find where I was.
Found Pubs and Hotel, ATM and a Post Office.
On 2 GB Sd card I have downloaded large talking book and MP3 tracks.
From POI loader I've extra European POI's.
I can even see that language cards for Spain and Italy may well become and add on later in the year.
Compact size and combined functional uses fit my work and life style to a tee.
Nuvi 350 www.savstore.com price is down to 385 today and they are showing the 360 Blue tooth job available in 1-2 weeks for 450 !!
Have a pretty trick phone set up so Blue Tooth would have been wasted on me and I needed European mapping :P
I've had no probs with small narrow roads, you can see most won the screen and I can't see thay would pose a problem.
jingo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
this is my first Sat Nav (Nuvi 300) and I have to say that it seems pretty good. I have found it easy to use and pretty good on the navigation. I suppose it depends on where you are going as to whether this feature is as good as any other. I downloaded the speedcamera database and loaded it up very easily. My only gripe, and its only minor, is that I've been in a mates car who has a TomTom and I always liked when it told you you were approaching a speed camera. Just having the chime can be easy it ignore or miss. Does anyone know if its possible to get the Nuvi to tell you a camera coming up (you'd think it would be a simple thing since its only a single Wav potenially) or whats the chance of Garmin adding in a bit of customisabilty into the unit.

At the moment though, 8 out of 10 from me. :D
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got the latest speedcamera database.
On my nuvi 350 and my I3 it now gives a speed warning long before a camera and then starts to boing its heart away nearer to the camera.
Two road work cameras on the M3 are still on the database and it chimes out a warning of 50mph a good mile before the camera.
This could be beacause it beleives me to be over the limit that is now back to 70 as road works have been cleared.
So if you are being "good" you may not get the warning. Laughing
cantgetlost
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with all Satnavs you have to accept that they are just machines.
I tow a large trailer at times and I can normaly pick out small roads as I appoach them as they show up as thin lines so have to make the same moves as a trucker.
The nuvi is a sat nav stroke / travel aid, it has some good features if that sort of use is what you need. Obviously the size causes some other restrictions, but I wouldn't want to be wandering around with a StreetPilot C510 in my shirt or jacket pocket.
If you travel to foriegn climes or other cities, you can pocket it wander about and easily use it on foot as I do.
Features such as the MP3 player and talking books are good when travelling.
I find the mapping and warning time very good, not my experience with some TomToms.
MrBitsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markjohnson wrote:

If you are using the device for navigation you will save money and get better navigation from the TomTom One. I can't believe any one who has used both for actual navigation could form any other opinion.

Kind regards,

Mark

I have used the TomTom, but would go with the Nuvi 350 everytime. For me, the big killer using TomTom is the lack of zoom functionality. I like to see the area around where I am driving, not just the imediate vicinity. The TomTom allows one to zoom out - but it zooms back in again! The Nuvi 350 has an Excellent display - far superior to the TomTom - I set the zoom level and it stays there. The autozoom DOES work very nicely. It zooms in to the junction on approach, then goes back to the zoom I set once the junction is past.

A simple tap of the next turn display will show a zoomed in graphic of the next junction - with buttons to allow viwing of junctions AFTER the next one.

Ray Keattch
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could some-one confirm that you can only add one via point to your journey?

If this is true, this is a backward step in my opinion, when you consider that the ique & street-pilot 2610 allowed unlimited/multiple via points. This makes complicated journeys almost impossible to construct. TomTom navigator is the same. I cannot under stand the logic behind this move, to retrograde this feature when previous supposedly “inferior machines” had the feature.
Lowbridge-Speed Camera Data
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gangalee wrote:
Could some-one confirm that you can only add one via point to your journey?
Yes, you can only add 1 via point. Although this is less than, say the 2610, that unit (and it's successors) are in a much higher price bracket than the Nuvi, which allows Garmin to "justify" that the cheaper units have less functionality. Personally, as the Nuvi is more expensive than the majority of the range, I would like to see more via points, but it may never come.
dlynch1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How visible is the screen for older eyes? :-)

I often don't have bifocals on (my sunglasses are single vision) and I'm concerned that the device may not suit people my age.

Regards,
Dave
Toronto
thealbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used Tm Tom Go but did have Navigator 2 on IPAQ previously and loved the interface. I opted for a Nuvi 660 yesterday as the alternative in the Tom Tom range with the features I wanted (the 51) was far too bulky. Its like choosing a Tube TV over plasma from an aesthetic point of view.

Only had the 660 out for a couple of trips so far. The maps appear excellent and I agree with some earlier posts that the timing of the instructions could be more intelligent.

The packaging for UK is confusing. I bought subscription to the Garmin cameras DB but suspect this might actually have been included in the base model! I know its naughty but if anyone knows how to chip this to expose the FM transmiter it would be very welcome Wink

One rather annoying thing is that, when the Nuvi is hooked up to the PC the interface is locked. I don't know if this is the same on the Go or not, but I'd like to be able to manipulate it while its charging and I'm surfing for new ideas/downloads.

A quick way to navigate back to the 'home' page would be good, as would an external mute button.

Furst impressions are still fairly good and, if only for the shape form, I'm still pleased I chose it over the 510 (for now!)
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No info is yet available on enabling the FM transmitter, nor even if it's physically there to be turned on.

Personally, given the unit only needs to be connected for updates, I don't find it a big problem. If you want to charge and play, plug the computer USB cable into the back of the mount and put the Nuvi into the mount - that will give it power, but not provide a data connection.

A quick way back to the main menu screen - press and hold the Back button and it will return.

Although there's no external mute button a quick press of the power button at the top should bring up the volume screen with a Mute button on it.
thealbs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Swing

Thanks for the advice - all very much apreciated.
sophisticated
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just returned from a two day break to whitby[uk[,using nuvi 300 to navigate. 134 miles, nuvi performed very well screen clarity and voice guidance were excellent just one fault on first day whilst navigating to an isolated fishing village screen froze could be caused by unit overheating?switched off and re programmed worked ok for rest of break Smile
candymut
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: re garmin Reply with quote

hello...
i am quite new to out of the box sat/nav as i have used the symbian mobile tomtom for a few years now but was offerd a bargin of a Garmin Nuvi 660 Satellite Navigation System for £170 with lifetime updates as it was bought in france on a company deal and i like the flat look of the device but thats it as i find the navigation to make calls a bit fussed and the angle of the maps looks a bit odd maybe i am use to tomtom, and the sound when full on makes the voice rattle a bit so i may go for the tomtom 700 i have been offered of another person who like the garmin unit..but i am undecided as yet...what do you think of the garmin ? as at least i can change the map colours ..but has the tomtom 700 been fitted with a h/d?......any help appreciated....and i am quite new to this forum so hello...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: