Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 2210 always needs a reset??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

2210 always needs a reset??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phinea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: 2210 always needs a reset?? Reply with quote

I've been having a spate of problems with my recently purchased TomTom Nav/iPAQ 2210/Hiacom GPS. Comms between the iPAQ and the GPS stopped working and the cable/receiver have been sent back for testing &/or replacement - due back in a few days (I hope).

However, every time I do a Diagnostics test on the device it recommends a soft reset. In the course of troubleshooting the above I resorted to doing a hard reset and this did not resolve the prob. I have spoken to HP help line annd they say not to worry but I have my doubts. Of course, if the GPS & cable test out OK then that would seem to point to the iPAQ.

Does anyone out there have any thoughts or advice?

Cheers,
John
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, do you have any keyboards or other hardware that plugs into the bottom port on the iPAQ ? If you do, and you have a driver installed like a keyboard driver for instance, disable this, as this will stop the GPS talking.

Other than this, providing you're selecting Haicom GPS option on COM1 in the GPS Status screen, it should work okay (providing you have the accessory plug, inserted into your accessory socket in-car, and the ignition is powered on). You can also try changing the driver to NMEA 4800 on COM1.
phinea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: none of the above Reply with quote

Dave,

No keyboards or other devices attached - ever. I tried NMEA on COM1 - and other combinations.

I've actually sent the GPS receiver and cable back for testing and await the results. I now suspect the iPAQ may be at fault due to ongoing problems with resets (as per this topic) and now with ActiveSynch which never finishes synching and disconnects if stopped.
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:31 pm    Post subject: firmware Reply with quote

could be the firmware on the ipaq or just mat be you got a duff ipaq my 2210 has been fine id contact hp and see what they say this number should put you on the right track i think this is the jornada support line but it has a link to the ipaq support line it is 0870 608 3003 Thumbs Up Mr. Green

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
phinea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: partial resolution Reply with quote

Just to close on this. The GPS was faulty and has been replaced - so the nav system now works (prime reason for buying the iPAQ!).

The diagnostics are still as posted and I have intermittent problems with ActiveSynch but unless these get worse I guess I'll just live with it as it is.

I've spent a fair bit of time trawling the web for pointers on ActiveSynch and boy is that a flaky piece of software. In fact the whole PDA market seems to tolerate a very poor level of software quality (I reckon to reset at least once a day!) - reminds me of the old Windows 3.1 days and fighting GPF errors :-)
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

What do you mean Windows 3.1 days? I am using Windows XP Pro and I still get these problems though Microsoft now report "unknown problem in third party driver" whenever anything crashes.

I just nailed down most of my recent problems to the Bluetooth drivers on the PC leaking resources. This meant that I can only run the PC for about 6 hours before I have to reboot. Running with the BT drivers off means the PC runs for days with out needing a reboot.

The point here is that it really depends what software you are running and how well it was developed, tested and integrated. It doesnt matter if the app is PC based or PDA based if the quality control isnt there problems will occur.

You are right about the Win3.1 comparison. The PDA is still a very young and immature product, not really seen yet as a business tool (watch me get flamed here) but more of a hobbist/techie tool. People in this arena tend to put up with these sort of failings more.

With PDAs a lot of apps people install are shareware, paying a nominal sum to the developer, who is normally a hobbist themselves. Bearing this in mind you can forsee issues arising, not having the resources of a huge multinational behind them. Even companies like HP and Microsoft get it wrong though.

That said I havent found ActiveSynch to be that bad. A little quirky sometimes, but generally I can successfully synch my PDAs using serial, USB, BT or Ethernet with no problems.
onbashi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest Dave, i've only ever seen hard nosed business men/women using Palm OS based pda's.

Who knows, maybe one day microsoft will get it right!
I have heard that an operating system that is installed to and runs from ram is being developed for the home pc and laptops, hmmmm, no more 3minute bootups! interesting! Rolling Eyes
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: soft reset Reply with quote

got to sat guys ive had very few problems with my 2210 and rareley do soft resets Thumbs Up Happy

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: