Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Crackpot
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Crackpot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Crackpot Reply with quote

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=1450&start=0&edition=1&ttl=20060405113439

Quote:
Drivers using satellite navigation systems to travel to a village called Crackpot in North Yorkshire are being directed to the top of a 100ft cliff say reports.

Crackpot is not in my i3. Is this report BS??
Amicus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N 54.36667 x W 2.05001
Dont think it's a village
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrrgh! The case of the driving morons strikes again! :D

I can understand you wouldn't perhaps appreciate you were heading for an inappropriate road until you actually got there but why do people insist on pushing forward?!?

I know there might be the spirit of adventure for some people and that's all well and good. However, the people that turn their brain off and blindly do what the GPS tells them to don't really deserve any sympathy. If you are too stupid to realise a road is unsuitable for you or your vehicle then please put the GPS back in its box and call the DVLA to inform them that you are too moronic to be allowed on the road and surrender your licence.

If you were on foot and came across a perilous way forward would you press on regardless or perhaps investigate an alternative route? Something really strange happens to people's brains when they get in a car - they have to keep going forward! Whether that's by weaving in and out of traffic, speeding, or just following those GPS directions like a lemming!

Arrrgh! Rant off. Evil or Very Mad But really some people, eh? How did we get to be such an evolved species when a lot of the population seem to forget to engage their brains once in a while?!
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BERT_UK wrote:
Arrrgh! The case of the driving morons strikes again! :D

I can understand you wouldn't perhaps appreciate you were heading for an inappropriate road until you actually got there but why do people insist on pushing forward?!?

Presumably these people are using TomTom's and can't actually see past them out of the windscreen... Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://tinyurl.com/pxnq2

when will people realise there's still an element of common sense involved!! i mean, people use common sense with computers - they print things off knowing that the computer can sometimes be a bit funny. likewise with sat nav, sometimes it can be a bit funny so use yer bleedin' noggin'!!

MaFt

Last edited by MaFt on Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness, some weeks back when I was first raising the whole inconsistent routing thing - numerous people were advocating simply following the sat nav, as it may be a better complimentary route, or it might spring some suprises (seems it does in this example!) that may be of benefit.

This, in contention to those people that either generally know the route they are on, or have some degree of common sense about it, and were objecting to the oddness that the i3 sometimes throws at them.

Now I'm in agreement - sometimes common sense does prevail, and in the circumstances that I was outlining, such common sense was highlighting distinct oddities in the behaviour of (in that instance) the i3.

I once did blindly follow my i3's route to a hotel in a rather rural location. I knew a route to the hotel, and would generally be able to find it - but friends had suggested that there was an obscure short cut that was much better than the normal, easy route I would take. The route the i3 took me, certainly wasn't quicker, nor more direct and there was no traffic to cloud this. Now whilst this route wasn't on inappropriate roads, they were narrower and slower - and rather less direct - than the route I would have taken.

That ended the whole "The sat nav always knows better" ethos in me.

It just goes to show, it's not best to place all your faith in that little box of technology stuck to your windscreen or dash, nor is it best to blindly follow it's advice without challenge nor question.

Now whilst I suspect it will almost certainly always get you to your destination, question routing oddities and choices that they make seems highly sensible, and anomalies are best reported to make them (in general) work better.
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The level of hate for SatNav's and their users in the BBC forums ( http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=1450&start=0&&&edition=1&ttl=20060406115820 ) is quite frightening! I hadn't realised that using a GPS made me a sad pathetic muppet, a gadget loving freak, a status symbol idolising prat, too dull to plan my own journey, too incompetent to read a map, etc! Ouch! The vitriol! I knew people hated the 4x4 er's and people in sports cars but the GPS non-love is a new one on me. Sure not everyone may need it but is it really that hateful?

I know it's safe territory here (a GPS forum) but it is odd reading the BBC forums that there's so many people blaming people for using new technology and not using a paper map. Well, guess what? A paper map was new technology at one point! So why not break out the sextant, compass and lets navigate by the stars because this new technology is just too much. Paper maps had their problems (and still do) as do SatNav's - nothing is perfect.

There's also a funny irony of people suggesting "What's wrong with using an online mapping program instead?" Errrr, yes OK that would be the best option wouldn't it! The data isn't all sourced from the same providers and of course the algorithms on the websites are perfect in comparison to the GPS units.

There is also a wonderful comment that GPS users would be better off using all the money they have spent on a GPS device to get taxis! An i3 at £149 won't get you many taxi fares!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BERT_UK wrote:
"What's wrong with using an online mapping program instead?"
I spent a bit of time yesterday looking at the Crackpot issue to see if it was a case of bad reporting, or actually a problem.

It appears that the mapping companies have marked a single track (ie unpaved road) as a minor road, which makes it appear the road past the farm is a through road.

It's actually gated (although not locked) which might be correct for all I know - I don't know if the road should be classed as suitable for vehicles or not (the media reports indicate you can't drive it, but that's not the same as the class of the road).

Interestingly, some online maps vary as to the classification of the road based on resolution - ie the map used - eg normal maps show no road, OS maps show a track, whereas very detailed mapping shows it as a valid road!

So, it's an anomaly in the mapping data that's been around for a while (Garmin v7 and v8 maps have this error)
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BERT_UK wrote:
The level of hate for SatNav's and their users in the BBC forums ( http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=1450&start=0&&&edition=1&ttl=20060406115820 ) is quite frightening! I hadn't realised that using a GPS made me a sad pathetic muppet, a gadget loving freak, a status symbol idolising prat, too dull to plan my own journey, too incompetent to read a map, etc! Ouch! The vitriol! I knew people hated the 4x4 er's and people in sports cars but the GPS non-love is a new one on me. Sure not everyone may need it but is it really that hateful?

I know it's safe territory here (a GPS forum) but it is odd reading the BBC forums that there's so many people blaming people for using new technology and not using a paper map.

I read those messages a day or two back, too - and I struggled to understand the vitriol, too.

BERT_UK wrote:
Well, guess what? A paper map was new technology at one point! So why not break out the sextant, compass and lets navigate by the stars because this new technology is just too much. Paper maps had their problems (and still do) as do SatNav's - nothing is perfect.

There's also a funny irony of people suggesting "What's wrong with using an online mapping program instead?" Errrr, yes OK that would be the best option wouldn't it! The data isn't all sourced from the same providers and of course the algorithms on the websites are perfect in comparison to the GPS units.

For years I used either on-line mapping printed routes, or autoroute.

The main problem that I found, was that instructions in the route, quite frequently didn't match the headings or locations on the road signs. And without the local knowledge, it was quite often difficult to ascertain how the printed route related to the signs on the roads.
BERT_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lester_Burnham wrote:

The main problem that I found, was that instructions in the route, quite frequently didn't match the headings or locations on the road signs. And without the local knowledge, it was quite often difficult to ascertain how the printed route related to the signs on the roads.

This has been my experience too. I first thought that these online route planners were great but when I used them I sometimes struggled with correlating the written directions to the actual route. As well as your points the directions to me sometimes seemed to be either overloaded with superflous information that didn't help with navigation or that the information was so terse that it was almost useless.

Other problems were that you either had to have a navigator, commit all directions to memory, or read the directions whilst driving. Another downside was that if you had to divert (or got yourself lost) then your printed route was just a waste of paper as you were going to have to sort out your own route now anyway!
thommohawk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasnt this in the papers on april 1st ???? bs my guess april fool prank, who give a monkeys about a little village out in the sticks, hardly a national press story
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thommohawk wrote:
wasnt this in the papers on april 1st ????
Don't think so - I saw it on Yahoo News on 4th April, and in the Daily Mail on the 5th (I think). I started with your attitude, and my initial investigation into the issue was that I thought it was a silly story, but I found it looks a genuine issue (based on the mapping data).
Milkfloat
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suggestions to go back to paper maps are ludicrous. Paper Maps are always out of date, I have paper maps that go back to the 17th Century, I would not want to use one for navigating. Another point is were there to be paper based street level map mapping for the whole UK (there is not), it would cost many thousands of pounds, far more than a Navigation System. Sometimes you just have to wonder about the people who write in to the newspapers.
rossb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading this makes me think of the routing hassles I had before sat navs.

I used to do printed autoroute sheets, which are not much use of you miss your turning. I then started taking my laptop and autoroute out with me in case I got lost. Very bulky and a big hassle to pull off the road and view a map on the laptop. I was working all over the UK, I didnt want to have to purchase an A-Z for every city. In some cities, due to one way systems, I would have to drive a couple of miles in heavy traffic, just to stop and look at a map on the laptop.

I bought my first Garmin Streetpilot III in 2002. It cost me £900, and it was like having a boulder on the dashboard. It was still worth it to avoid the hassle of being lost.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: