Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - quest heath robinson wiring
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

quest heath robinson wiring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjabika
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: quest heath robinson wiring Reply with quote

hi-ya all

got me a quest last week from halfords £150.00 can't be bad,
what i'm really after is some advice about connecting it to my bike (fazer 1000).
i know i could spend £50.00 on a powered cradle but i'm sure i've seen somewhere a cradle with the plastic clip on the top to retain the unit for about £10.00 i just don't know where, this cradle also hashole where you can clip the wires into the back.
now here's where the advice bit comes in , what i'm intending to do is with the car kit that's supplied opening up the unit and in there there is a pcb board which contains the gubbins to knock the voltage down to 5v, so what i was thinking is can i just take the cigarette lighter socket off and with the wires it leaves just connect to an ignition live on the bike, also the 2 wires that go to the speaker can i disconnect them and just solder on a female audio plug so i can plug earphones in , i'm enclosing a link to the pic so you'll see what i mean, any thought's ???
http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/speakerunit.jpg

Martin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: quest heath robinson wiring Reply with quote

ninjabika wrote:
what i'm intending to do is with the car kit that's supplied opening up the unit and in there there is a pcb board which contains the gubbins to knock the voltage down to 5v, so what i was thinking is can i just take the cigarette lighter socket off and with the wires it leaves just connect to an ignition live on the bike,
In theory this will work, couple of additional points though; consider fitting a fuse between the power wiring of the bike and unit, also you need to make sure water cannot get into it, salt water (road spray in winter) will very soon ruin the PCB.
ninjabika wrote:
also the 2 wires that go to the speaker can i disconnect them and just solder on a female audio plug so i can plug earphones in
Not too sure this will work, you might find the units audio output too powerful in which case it will overdrive the headset and distort the sound. If you try this make sure the volume is set to minimum before switching it on, if its too loud you could damage your hearing, or worse still fall of the bike if it makes you jump - Mike
ninjabika
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike

thanks for the reply, i was intending taking all the internals out and putting them into a weather proof box from maplins, as for the audio connection i had intended using the volume control on the quest unit itself

Martin
locksmith
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really worth the effort to have that bird constantly repeating herself straight in your ears?
In the car she's in the background if you need her, but on the bike it may become annoying!
I don't bother with it on the bike, just keep an eye on the distance to next turn - works for me.
Incidently the quest buzzes when she try's to talk to you and you are on battery power. Round town it's quiet noticeable and grabs your attention. At night the screen lights up and is very noticeable it's trying to tell you something!!
ninjabika
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi-ya all

i think i'll try it on battery first and see how i get on with it, obviously i won't know till i try

Martin
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninja....there's a couple of PMs in your inbox answering your question to me.

I converted the Garmin speaker/cigar lighter power lead doohicky with some pics in a previous post. I also found that using a 9v battery with the Autocom is a waste of time as it only lasts around an hour Crying or Very sad

At the cutting edge of technophobia
ninjabika
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dandywarhol

hi-ya thanks for that (note to self check inbox more frequently)
funnily enough my ram mount turned up today , certainly looks dturdy enough to me, btw have you any more info on the breakout audio jack you mentioned.

Martin
dandywarhol
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Martin
Maplin do a similar plug - a 2.5mm Mono Chassis socket part no. HF78K

At the cutting edge of technophobia
ninjabika
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good man, thanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: