Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS fix on cruising Aircraft ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS fix on cruising Aircraft ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: GPS fix on cruising Aircraft ? Reply with quote

I'll be shortly crossing the Atlantic for the first time with my Micromaxx MDPPC150 with me.

I know I'm not allowed to have it switched on during take-off or landing, but I'd REALLY like to see the big numbers for Velocity and Altitude on it, once we're cruising.

What's the best way to get a GPS fix in these circumstances, given the restricted view of the sky out of the aircraft window, and the high velocity while it's actually trying to get the GPS fix ?

And I WON'T be attempting to put my external antenna outside !

Philip
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a window seat to get this to work in flight, the GPS reciever fitted is not the most sensitive, and the small aircraft window combined with the field of view will further compound the problem, it will give you something else to do during the long haul, that is looking for a GPS signal, it is possible but certain aircraft use coated glass thas attenuates the GPS signal, try the window seat (or stand by an entry door window, inform the cabin staff what you are doing i.e. no Bluetooth or WIFI involved) and give it a try - Mike
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: GPS fix on cruising Aircraft ? Reply with quote

Quote:
What's the best way to get a GPS fix in these circumstances, given the restricted view of the sky out of the aircraft window, and the high velocity while it's actually trying to get the GPS fix ?

There was a (sometimes heated) discussion of this a while ago Read about it here

The basics:

Get a good fix on all visible sats before you go inside the terminal. Use your GPS status screen to confirm this. This way, you won't be trying to get a first (cold) fix out the tiny window of a plane which can be difficult. Be patient, it can take a few minutes to get a fix at 550 MPH/35,000ft!

Let us know what the top speed you record is! Anything over 600 MPH is good. You will find that you get a strong tailwind coming back - going to USA you fly way up over Greenland to avoid the prevailing winds (Gulfstream) from USA to Europe!

Technically, you are not supposed to use a Bluetooth (or any other radio transmitter device) on the plane. In reality, no one will notice if you are discrete.

You aren't supposed to use it during approach, takeoff or landing (the most interesting parts of the flight) either, once again it is unlikely any one will notice.

Don't bother asking permission to use it but if the crew ask you to switch it off then you must do as they say.

Some people think that using a GPS on a plane will cause it to crash. I've done it dozens of times and I am on the flight from LHR to KUL on 1st April, so if it crashes then you know why. Wink
jrisch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Skippy, but I think your advice is irresponsible. Just 'cos you haven't crashed a plane yet by ignoring their rules doesn't make it right. Most modern aircraft use a fly-by-wire system which can (but not necessarily will) be upset by your electronic devices.

Regards, John
martike
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if he's discrete, nobody notices, and he behaves himself if challenged, then that makes it alright, doesn't it ?
Mullet
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martike wrote:
But if he's discrete, nobody notices, and he behaves himself if challenged, then that makes it alright, doesn't it ?

If he's dicrete and behaves himself, perhaps nobody will notice when the plane crashes Laughing
lamplight
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS fix on cruising Aircraft ? Reply with quote

Quote:

You aren't supposed to use it during approach, takeoff or landing (the most interesting parts of the flight) either, once again it is unlikely any one will notice.

Don't bother asking permission to use it but if the crew ask you to switch it off then you must do as they say.

Some people think that using a GPS on a plane will cause it to crash. I've done it dozens of times and I am on the flight from LHR to KUL on 1st April, so if it crashes then you know why. Wink

So now we are in the realms of putting the use of satnav as a toy - simply to while away flight time - above the importance of people's safety! And doing what's clearly wrong is ok as long as you don't get caught? What do you think those rules are there for - fun? Sorry mate, but you've really hit on raw spot here and I don't find any of it in the least funny. Get a grip and get responsible.
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we fly tomorrow, so here's what I WILL and WON'T be doing:-

I WILL be keeping my GPS turned OFF during take-off and landing.

I WILL be asking permission from the cabin staff before I turn my GPS on.

I WILL respect what they say in response.

I WON'T be the one possibly (however slightly) putting the aircraft at risk.

I WON'T be the one causing the flight to be diverted so the Authorities can detain an uncooperative passenger.

I WILL be enjoying the flight, and I WILL (hopefully !) be posting the aircraft's velocity and altitude when I return (or earlier, if the wireless technology at our destination lets me !)

Philip
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip, sound ideas without a doubt. I do not mind people on aircraft giving the GPS unit a try when it is a built in device at the correct phase of flight (i.e. not the take-off or landing phases), its the units that transmitt via Bluetooth that I don't agree with, I know of one rep who was flying onboard a small (ish) 18 seater who turned on the laptop wifi and the plane went into a dive, not advisable during landing - if the crew are OK about it and give their permission then enjoy the experiance - its far better than the onboard "entertainment".
I have used some of my equipment on internal flights on company owned aircraft (with permission) and its quite amusing to see the countryside wiz past on a topo map (Memory map using OS).
Like I said in my OP in this thread try and get a window seat to give the unit a chance when in flight, it could take some time to obtain a fix, finally don't be too surprised when the metal detector goes off on the way through to the aircraft they pick out phones/ PDA's and PND's with ease - Mike
madtam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I understand it, a GPS device is a receiver only and doesn't transmit any signal (other than the limited EMC that a small electrical device does when switched on) This being the case then I don't see what the problem would be in trying one when cruising. If other electrical devices such as laptops and games consoles are OK then why should a GPS be different?
If the GPS is not hard wired and uses bluetooth then that is entirely different as this is a specific radio transmission which potentially could have a harmful effect on other systems.
I will admit to trying (and failing) to get a fix on a flight a few weeks ago. I also struggled to get a fix on the train journey following but on a different train on my return I picked up the signal without problem.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely correct - the GPS signal is not the issue. The problem (if any) is the Bluetooth transmitter. Hopefully that one is CE or FCC certified, but with some of the cheaper versions you don't know what the output power is.

The SiRF III receivers get a fix through the coated window, others will probably struggle too much with that metallic shielding.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what the Civil Aviation Authority have to say:

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=884&pagetype=70&groupid=890&faqid=637
FAQ Details | Cabin Safety | Safety Regulation

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=3&pagetype=90&pageid=1347
Mobile phones and personal electronic equipment | Safety Regulation

This is what the Americans have to say:
http://faa.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/faa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=261&p_created=1094733474&p_sid=MORakb4i&p_lva=285&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MiZwX3Byb2RzPSZwX2NhdHM9MTgsMjImcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0yLjIyJnBfcGFnZT0xJnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9Z3Bz&p_li=&p_topview=1
Answer
laracroft1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried this with a Garmin eTrex on a flight to the Maldives but unfortunately it could not get a fix Sad
philip4242
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: We've arrived ! Reply with quote

Well, we are now in sunny - No ! - Make that SNOWY Toronto, after a quite interesting journey.

Once we were at cruising speed en route from Manchester to Paris (CDG) airport, I put the GPS near the window in the aircraft door (no window seats were available) and was quite surprised to get a GPS lock after only a few minutes.

Unfortunately, I haven't any screen capture software on the PDA, but the speed was about 950kph and our altitude was about 7000m.

On the leg from CDG to Toronto, I did the same thing and saw 650mph and 10000m (different program, hence the 'mix' of units).

I also changed TomTom's map from UK to Canada, as we overflew the coast of Newfoundland - It was wierd to see the 'overview' map scrolling so quickly !

However, a number of incidences of turbulence cut short any further GPS fixes being obtained.

We also had quite an incident-packed final approach, when the plane was struck by lightning no less that 3 times !!

After clearing Immigration (1 1/2 hours) and retrieving our luggage (1 hour, with the handle of 1 case found broken), then queueing for a taxi (3/4 hour), I wasn't much in the mood for checking the GPS out at the hotel.

But next day, I was quite perturbed to see that the GPS showed the hotel room as being about 100m off shore, in Lake Ontario !

However, a couple of soft reboots sorted that out OK, and the GPS has since worked OK around the city.

We're going up the CN tower tomorrow - I'll get an altitude when we're at the top of that, I think !

Philip
SteveTheLight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not suggesting that the rules on using equipment on planes should be ignored but, in these days of heightend security, I cannot believe that the authorities would allow anything to be carried onto an aircraft, let alone be used covertly, accidentally or othewise, that may make the aeroplane crash.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: