Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SD Card Problems and Dell Axim's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SD Card Problems and Dell Axim's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: SD Card Problems and Dell Axim's Reply with quote

Lutz has found an interesting site relating to SD cards and problems specifically in Dell Axim's, but also in other Pocket PC's.

It makes for an interesting read. Check out Jon Crawford's Website for a shocking look at how SD cards are experiencing problems in Pocket PC's!
AlanB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: SD card problems Reply with quote

I would like to point out that these problems are not just related to the Axim.

There is a very interesting thread at http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85384 that discusses problems of SD cards and their effect on bluetooth navigation devices.

I can vouch for these problems. I have a H2210, GlobalSat BT-308 and TomTom Nav2. With all the TomTom software installed on an SD card I was having trouble even navigating across Milton Keynes with voice commands turned on as the BT connection would keep freezing. Nav2 and the BT-308 were still working fine and I found that by going into the GPS Status screen and unchecking the GPS device selection option and then checking it again was good enough for Nav2 to resync the data connection. Hardly a sound work-around while driving!

Following the advice on the above forum, I have now moved all the TomTom software to a CF card and I haven't had a single lock-up since!

Alan B.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a Pocket PC 2003 specific problem, actually - though anything that draws attention to Jon's web site seems worthwhile. I think I'd posted the URL myself several times.

I got to know Jon quite well over this - amongst other things he and I spoke for well over an hour on the phone earlier this year.

It's because of this work that I always tend to recommend SimpleTech SD cards - being the brand that Jon found tended to be either Toshiba or Panasonic based. Toshiba and Panasonic cards not only work reliably in an Axim X5, but often perform better than Sandisk based cards even on machines where Sandisk cards work. The cheapest source tends to be ebuyer.com.

I know far more than I'm allowed to make public about precisely who Jon worked with and precisely what the explanation of the problem is. Suffice it to say that I support the findings that have been made public wholeheartedly - and am grateful that both my Lexar SD cards are from one of the Japanese vendors.

The later Sandisk cards, those with an N as the penultimate character in the code on the back, are better than the earlier ones - but still don't seem as stable as other brands. Meanwhile, many brands are actually relabelled Sandisk.

David
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest information on which cards I've found to be troublesome can be found in this post.

David
reidy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
My name is Andy and i just joined,I would like to ask if any body knows how to get the speed camera soft wear on to the dell axim x5.I have down loaded the softwear and it is in a file on my pda but i can not transfer the info from this file to the poi.
Thanks in advance
Andy Crying or Very sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: