Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Edit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Edit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Edit Reply with quote

How do I edit my own posts - you seem to have that feature turned off???
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunp
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go - case in point, spelling mistake!!!!
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chance of a reply here guys?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No :P

Actually editing of posts is currently disabled. We will review this within the next few months, but at the moment (as with the previous forum) editing is disabled. Main reason for this is that people don't start changing and deleting messages part way through which upsets threading or changing comments in flames saying they didn't say something when they actually did.

People here have been very quick to jump on us for sensoring posts, when in 99.9% of cases we haven't sensored and people just have lost or misplaced their posts or threads. By opening this up means that we're going to get a ton more of these. We will review it, but not at this stage, we have a lot more modifications to come through, and we've got heaps of reviews to get out of the door due to the three weeks that we've been spending trying to move the whole site and forums to a better place. Happy
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, there is a preview button before submitting
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave.

But!! (you should have expected that!) I don't agree with you. I moderate the Pocket Informant forum, and the potential problem you describe has simply never happened - either people make it clear if they've edited something that affects the flow of a thread (and I can't think of many occasions when that's happened anyway), or that kind of editing simply does not happen. They do from time to time accuse us of deleting/sensoring when in fact either they've posted in the wrong place by mistake and can't find the post, or we've moved a post to the correct section (and PM'd them to tell them what we've done), but allowing users to edit their posts has nothing to do with that.

In most forums, you can see if a post has been edited anyway (date stamp), and if it is done malliciously (it very rarely is), you can be sure that the "other party" will point it out very quickly.

With regard to affecting the flow of a thread, it is far worse when you get a post with not enough info, and then a follow up post by the same member correcting it because they couldn't edit.

I have to tell you your's is the only forum I've ever seen that does not allow people to edit their own posts, and I do think people have a right to correct their own mistakes. Preview button helps, but it's not the answer.

Quote:
People here have been very quick to jump on us for sensoring posts, when in 99.9% of cases we haven't sensored and people just have lost or misplaced their posts or threads

Allowing editing has nothing to do with that though. If I edit my own post, how would that lead to me accusing you of tampering with it? I agree with not allowing deletions, but edits should be allowed.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being funny, but Pocket Informant is one product, we're dealing with many products here, and many companies.

I've had 7 requests to pull down threads from legal departments and lawyers in the past where they say someone has written something slanderous or affending to their company name, product etc, or from a personal attack. Most of these threads haven't been taken down because I have been able to review what was said in the threads and told the legal departments or lawyers that they're over re-acting, and that such a claim wouldn't stand up in a court of law. If people do have editing writes, we potentially lose this audit trail when people edit posts.

Yes you get an edited date and time, but that's useless if we're to defend ourselves and you against any such claims. If posts are edited, we have no way through transaction logging to find out what was said in that original post, so can only go on what a legal department and lawyers say was said (which strangely enough does differ!).

Also if someone edits a post after 5 replies has been made to it, most people don't go back and read the original posts to the thread, they read the latest ones, which means people can miss things that have changed.

Like I said, I'm not ruling it out, and we will review this later, but at the moment it still stands. Non editing of posts give us an audit trail which we can use when we get these sort of claims from legal departments. At the end of the day we're protecting number one. You will not believe how close we have been in several cases where we were on the brink of being sued and potentially losing this whole community. Companies won't come after you for posting liable messages, they come after us, because it's on our forums.
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's true, then I can see your point. It would be interesting to know how other forums, like Pocket PC Thoughts or Brighthand, deal with the issue. Those sites are absolutely covered with comments that could be objected to by companies far stronger than TomTom or any other GPS outfit, yet they all allow editing.

I suspect they cover it by making sure their terms distance the forum operator from what the users say. I also suspect that allowing editing strengthens that case - they can claim "the content has nothing to do with us, if you don't like it, ask the user to edit it". You can't do that, and by arguing the case with them I'd suspect that you could be seen as taking ownership. A user could also argue that he didn't mean what was said, but that any damage done is your fault noy his, because you refused to let him edit.

But then I'm not a lawyer, so who knows?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: