Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Where are custom POIs stored on a Navman 570
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are custom POIs stored on a Navman 570

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phillybeccy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Where are custom POIs stored on a Navman 570 Reply with quote

Three times my Navman 570 has frozen and had to be hard reset. To my surprise it did not lose either thje maps or the favourites etc but it did lose the custom POIs (primarily the camera database)

Where are the custom POIs stored and is there any way that I could copy them to SD card which presumably would not be affected by a re-set. The intention being to copy it back to where it should be if necessary.

I have tried searching for the files on the Navman but it can't find it - am I being silly or am I missing something.

Help / suggestions on this greatly appreciated or even suggestions on why it keeps freezing

Thanks

David
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi david, the custom POI's maybe stored in the MYPOI directory under the Navman one. Not sure why you lose them, did you do a hardware reset (right hand switch on the bottom) or the software reset ( tiny inset button on the bottom on the left hand side) ? the software one should still keep them.

Anyway, what I do is actually have them on the SD card. It actually gets loaded from there so you don't have to re-load and it frees up space on the PiN itself.

If you make a search on Adek posts I posted some notes on this somewhere so that may give you an idea of what to do, but essentially I find that the custom POI on my PiN get loaded into the main directories somewhere and not into the mypoi, so I just copy them onto the SD card and into a mypoi directory I created. If I find the post I'll paste into a further reply.

hope that this helps.

Adek
phillybeccy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Adek

I would be grateful if you could find your post as I can't find it - is it in this forum or in another one?

Thanks

David
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

OK guess first thing is to find where the poi's are being stored.
if you use the file explorer on the PiN, the top grey toolbar should let you select "My device". In there you should have several directories including "ROM storage" and "storage card".

Under the ROM directory you should see "Navman SmartST", and within Navman SmartST there should be a number of directories including one called "MyPOI". Check to see if the camera files are saved here. you should be looking for 4 files of different sizes for each POI file you have converted. eg. if you saved the POI as CAMRA, there will be 4 separate files produced called CAMRA.XXX

Now I found that when I transfered the POI's onto the PiN, it saves the POI's under the main my device directory and was not picked up. It did not actually save the POI's into the MyPOI directory at all. so what I did was to create a directory called MyPOI on the SD card in the "navman" directory and copied all the POI's into that.

So it seems to work that way.

anyway hope this helps, I'm not an expert, but give this a go, and if it doesn't work post again and I'll see if I can see any differences on my unit.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=191207&highlight=#191207.

Adek
phillybeccy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adek

A slightly more urgent problem has occurred because I have lost all the map data completely so I am trying to reinstall it but not succeeding.

I have emailed Navman and am waiting for a reply - I'll look at the camera database when this has been sorted out.

Thanks

David
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, sounds like you've had a real nightmare.

Don't panic just yet, does the PiN software still work (no maps will be loaded so the background will be just grey).

I had this once, the PiN had no maps, now I found that retrieving the registration from the desktop version seemed to work. Have you tride to connect your PiN to the desktop software, and then in the drop down menu there is a option called retrieve registration, and the software then goes onto the navman website somewhere or other.

Anyway, try that it may help.

Adek
phillybeccy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the concern Adek

I think I have managed to retrieve the situation. I have had to re-install the NAVman software on the PIN from the CD. I also deleted and re-iinstalled the PC software. This I hoped would fix it but I had no maps. I then reinstalled to basemaps for Europe but that only gave me what seemed to be the trunk roads and no details.

I then had to delete all the UK detail maps and reinstall the lot. This seems to have worked but I will have to take it for a drive tomorrow to check.

Now I will try and use your advice and sort out the MyPOIs files.

Still - it all makes fun at a weekend - didn't want to watch TV anyway.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: