Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How sat-nav rats brought jams to country lanes
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How sat-nav rats brought jams to country lanes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
timber
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: How sat-nav rats brought jams to country lanes Reply with quote

see link Times on-line http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,22750-2068241,00.html

Quote:
It may be the quickest route according to your in-car guide, but increasingly the technology is sending drivers on rat runs through obscure rural byways – and the locals aren't happy

Quote:
We now get lorries, vans and cars up here all the time. They follow their sat nav directions from Newton Abbot to Torquay and it takes them right through my farm

Quote:
There is the potential that drivers will get routed down smaller roads because the mathematical calculation always shows which route is the shortest journey even if they are unclassified roads
marksfish
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my Sat Nav, I drove from Leeds to Burnley to collect something for a friend. As it was home time, I wanted to avoid the motorway home, so opted for the "shortest route" which was some 30 miles shorter! I'm not stupid (well read on and judge for yourself about that Smile ) and expected to be routed down country lanes and stuff which obviously would not be as quick as using the mororways. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was travelling along a single track country road for about 3 miles. Tom Tom told me to continue straight ahead, but there was a farmhouse in front of me!!! The road went no further and was green field as far as I could see Smile.

I was recently returning from a job in Ashbourne and wanted to avoid the roadworks on the A38, so plotted my "avoid" area. I found myself crossing over some cattle grids and following a narrow road through the middle of a farm. I am sure this is a public road, but a little disconcerting nonetheless.

I realise that a little bit of common sense and savvy goes a long way, but when you are in an area you don't know, you do tend to trust your life to these little devices and their various quirks.

Anyone else care to comment?

Mark
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marksfish wrote:
I realise that a little bit of common sense and savvy goes a long way, but when you are in an area you don't know, you do tend to trust your life to these little devices and their various quirks.

Anyone else care to comment?

Common sense should override trust in SatNav every time. I sure hope I don't meet this idiot below on the road.

Quote:
For some drivers this can’t come soon enough. Stewart Lockhart, an ambulance service employee from Alexandria, near Dumbarton, who has installed a £400 TomTom system in his car, has discovered that his increased reliance on the technology has meant he has fallen foul of the law.

“I have committed a lot of traffic offences because of my sat nav,” he says. “It often tells me to go the wrong way down one-way streets in Paisley. It tells me to take right-hand turns when it is illegal and it sends me down bus and taxi lanes. I bought it to make my life easier, but it is useless.”

He's doing the driving, isn't he?
smstextaddict
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my sat nav the otherday showed me a route that i never knew existed through a farm and down some dirt (well snow at the time) tracks. When i came a cross the hidden lane I did get the old trusty local OS blue book out just to check it, sure enough it wasnt a dead end and only saved a couple of minutes. But then with saying that, sat navs have pointed me to what they call roads which are nothing more than a footpath 8O
TazUk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people seem to have a switch on sat nav switch off brain mentality Rolling Eyes

If their sat nav told them to drive in reverse around the M25 at 100MPH I wonder how many would do it 8O Laughing
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If their sat nav told them to drive in reverse around the M25 at 100MPH I wonder how many would do it

You mean you don't have to? Embarassed
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
If their sat nav told them to drive in reverse around the M25 at 100MPH I wonder how many would do it

You mean you don't have to?

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: