Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Brodit mounts.. not impressed!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Brodit mounts.. not impressed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Brodit mounts.. not impressed! Reply with quote

I decided to go for a Brodit mount for my 5450 this week after reading many good things about them. Well, I wish I hadn't!! Don't get me wrong, they do look the part. Very well finished and wouldn't look out of place, cosmetically, in a Roller!

However, after installing it in my Golf I was left a bit disappointed. Firstly, when attaching the Proclip to the central vent position, a corner of the top lip snapped off while I was pushing it into place. Secondly, it doesn't stay still in it's position once fitted, you can easily move it from side to side. A consequence of the broken lip perhaps. Thirdly, one of the screws that attaches the back swivel plate to the Proclip stripped the ABS plastic as it was driven in, so now it's permanently loose. I've been building RC cars and mountain bikes for many years now so I'm no novice at this type of thing. Fourthly, even max torque on my trusty philips screwdriver does not tighten the main screw enough for it to stop the cradle from being moved by hand. No good when you push the PDA into it and it drops down, even when being held by the other hand.

I guess I may be a little too fussy after hearing so many glowing reports about Brodit kit. Perhaps I've just got a rogue unit. If it is the best stuff around then I'm just glad I never went for an Arkon or Seidio mount. Just ordered passive Brodit cradle as well but I think I'll cancel my order!
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Brodit mounts.. not impressed! Reply with quote

Russ,

You must have got a faulty swivel section to your mount. I have had about 10 mounts and one of mine exhibited this problem. I told my supplier and it was replaced very quickly.

As regards the ProClip again I find this quite suprising. The ones I have have taken qite a bit od abuse bing installed an removed on many occasions without any breakages.

We recently reviewed the SmartClip which is a direct replacements for the ProClip, and I believe is somewhat stronger.

My advice is to take these matters up with you retailer. All good products will have a couple of failures evry now and again. It sounds as if you were unlucky here.

Let us know how you get on.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

Will do Mike, thanks. I'll speak to Nemesis directly I think, rather than Handnav.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

Spoke to Nemesis about these problems and they agreed to replace the Proclip. The cradle seems a bit better now after loosening and re-tightening. May need some Locktite on the main screw though to stop it coming loose over many months tanking it down the M6! Perhaps the passive cradle I've ordered will be better, who knows?
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you've had problems with the Proclip.

I would also suggest its possible that its a fault with your particular order as I also have a VW Golf and the proclip/brodit mount is totally secure in its position.

In fact I have only just come across this thread after posting the pics of my proclip/brodit/golf set up on a thread in this forum.

Hope it all works out for you with the replacement clip and brodit as its a very comfortable and visually appealing solution.
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doghead. Got it sorted with Nemesis in the end, they sent me a brand new clip, which is better. I don't think however that these central vent mounted proclips can be made so that they are 100% solid when fitted. You obviously get the odd bit of movement but that's perhaps just the soft compound of the vent surround. Still, it does a good job and my replacement didn't break like the first one.

By the way, have you got a link to the thread you were talking about? I'd like to take a look at your setup.
Doghead
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'm pleased it worked out for you russgun.

My Proclip/Brodit is solidly fitted, and snapped it to position. I can imagine if i did remove and replace it a few times that it might cause a bit of play.

I ruled out you having ordered the wrong model of clip for your year of Golf. Do you have a modern style Golf? Mine is a year old but it just a basic 1.4S.

If it does have come loose - do you think you could jury-rig a solution with a bit of black card inserted in to the gap? Its what I'd probably do if mine ever starts to give.

Yes sure, I put my pics on the thread below: Review Comments: Brodit Mounts. Similar mounting position to yours?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3614&sid=619a5db87e411c0e5d6f146638ff64b3
russgunn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doghead, your setup is almost exactly like mine. I think the pocketgps team will be posting my review in the Reader mounts section over the next few days so take a look at it when it's up.

The cockpit of our cars are the same even though your Golf is newer. Mine is the Mk IV GT TDI (141bhp) but everything inside is exactly the same in terms of layout etc. Different steering wheel I think but that's it.

As I said there is a bit of play but not so much that it gets on my nerves and have to do a 'heath robinson' job on it! I can live with it no problem, it only moves a tiny amount.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: