Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom2 and Bluetooth GPS - Automatic connection
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom2 and Bluetooth GPS - Automatic connection
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_e
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or maybe try this BtRegTweak Utility that is free from handango.

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?productId=96903

Matt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Thumbs Up That is ideal for the majority who would rather not go delving into the registry!
im333
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Widdcomm BT drivers (needed to run this) supplementary to the standard BT drivers installed on all Ipaq's?

Where do u get them?
Thanx
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite. Some PocketPC's including some iPAQ's use the Widcomm BT Stack. If your PPC doesn't use the Widcomm BT Stack then this fix isn't going to work. What PocketPC do you have?
im333
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an ipaq 1940.
running tomtom2 and checkpoint.

works really well - impressed!

i have edited the registry according to the fix, but still seem to get the bt manager popping up when starting checkpoint (and hence tomtom).
Also, seems a little buggy now...
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errm guys, I think we need to be clear about what this fix does. It seams to be blindly recommended, without mentioning the implications.

The BT browser has a purpose. It's there to allow you to choose which device to connect to for which purpose. So for example you'd choose the GPS for TomTom, but your phone for your SMS or fax software.

This fix turns off the browser for ALL apps, so you run the real risk of connecting to the wrong device. I just tried it, and TomTom connects to my phone now - no good at all. I could have been waiting forever for my phone to get a sattelite fix!

So, if you only have one BT device, and only ever intend to have one, then this is a great fix. If you have only one now, but may get another later, make sure you keep the instructions (or get the tool), because you'll need to turn the browser back on then. And if you already have more than one device, DON'T apply the fix.

What we really need is one or both of these:

1) The ability to set favourite devices, like you can with the Socket BT stack, so you only ever have to choose once for each programme.

2) TomTom to fix their software so it doesn't bring up the browser repeatedly when you exit.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, I have the registry fix applied and TomTom connects to my BT GPS whilst invoking IE or Mail connects to my BT cell phone as normal Confused
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Strange, I have the registry fix applied and TomTom connects to my BT GPS whilst invoking IE or Mail connects to my BT cell phone as normal Confused

Correct, that's why I didn't use IE or Inbox as examples. They've always been exceptions to the rule - the only apps that don't need the browser and can select the correct connection for themslves. Remember they don't use the serial connection, so maybe that's why.

But try using an SMS app, or a fax app, or maybe a phone dialler, or anything else that uses the serial connection, and with this fix it will connect to whatever serial device was used last - either always your GPS (try sending an SMS message using that and see how far you get Wink ), or always your phone. You'll get no oportunity to choose the device to connect to, which of course is why Widcom developed the browser in the first place.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I stand corrected. I confess to using only GPS and occasional email/web so it has never been an issue but it is worth knowing, thanks for the heads-up Thumbs Up
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark R Penn wrote:
Correct, that's why I didn't use IE or Inbox as examples. They've always been exceptions to the rule - the only apps that don't need the browser and can select the correct connection for themslves. Remember they don't use the serial connection, so maybe that's why.

The difference is that dial up Internet access uses the Dial Up Networking profile (on the iPAQs, it's BTC1:), not the Serial Port Profile.

I must admit that all the phone software I have doesn't use the phone's Bluetooth COM port - which is just as well, as the Bluetooth COM port on Nokia 6310i with firmware 5.50 or 5.51 tends not to work properly.

Using the phone for Internet access goes via the dial-up port anyway. Smart GSM drives the iPAQ's Bluetooth stack at low level - no idea precisely what it's doing, but it works. With Truefax 2, I have to do a registry hack to tell it to use BTC1:, otherwise it won't work (I have twice suggested to KSE Software that they ought to allow BTC1: to be selected in the application, but to no avail).

David
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW,

Can you give me detail of the Truefax reg hack please? I've been wanting to do just that for some time, but couldn't work it out.

I have also contacted KSE several times re updates/changes. Truefax 3 has been "coming soon" for a long long time.

If you want it and haven't figured it out yourself, I too have a reg hack for Truefax, that puts the faxes into a synced folder so that you can then print them easily. I found it about 2 years ago, told them, they said "we'll incorportate it soon", and then....................................nothing!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The registry hack for Truefax 2 is to change the ComPort value to BTC1: in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apps\KSE Truefax 2.0 (Pocket PC)

Optionally change the DeviceName value to match (this is only used for on-screen display).

I accept no responsibility if this goes wrong. It may only work on devices that use a Widcomm Bluetooth stack, such as iPAQs. Be aware if you try to connect to the phone with Bluetooth off, the values will get reset and you'll have to edit the registry again...

David
Mark R Penn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David, I'll try it later.
Whitebeam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this thread - thanks very much for the registry mod - the pop up was very annoying (why does it do this twice?).

Thanks also for the heads up about using with other com enabled devices.
farwellbooth
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this pop up occur with an iPAQ 4155 (us version) and a RoyalTek BlueGPS?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: