Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed cameras or WHAT... enough is enough.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed cameras or WHAT... enough is enough.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Speed cameras or WHAT... enough is enough. Reply with quote

I know this is probably not the right place to post this but I am so annoyed with POCKETGPSWORLD that I'm not visiting nor posting anywhere apart from the Garmin i3 forum out of respect to this great little machine. We now have the evidence that the speed cam database is turning into a complete piece of s**t since the charging idea came into effect. On the latest one which is not provided to Garmin users in zoned files (for some unexplained reason), I found five new cameras around where I live and have done for more than six years that never ever existed. It is obviously the product of imagination of some opportunists that wanted to join the race to get a life-long free membership based on the lie that was once a decent database created by members for members for free. A real shame............
ride4smilesjonny
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was this something to do with the condition that they had to have submitted so many in given timescale to the database to qualify?
hi ho hi ho.....
www.ride4smiles.co.uk

£3500 raised in two weeks! :-)
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you reported them as to be removed as i recall and i could be wrong its each verified camera = 1 months download

the charging hasnt started yet

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
London_i3_Newbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although we no longer get customised icons now for the speed limit i can see how making the speed camera database into just 10 files (5 csvs) makes life much easier for book keeping purposes and ensuring it is accurate as possible. This should also mean people arnt arsing about saying should i keep this file should i overwrite that file it will make life easier)

Has this latest version of the POI loader now meant that u can now set 'speed over X mph' and 'alert at this distance xxx feet' now ACTUALLY WORKS?

If you choose 'alert me over speeds of 0 MPH' does this mean the icon will always show on the screen?

Is it just me or is this whole speed camera database thing a bit of a total shambles? cant we have a sticky showing EXACTLY how to set the camera database up correctly (if its already there please post the link for me)

thanks
Map: City Select Europe NT v7
POIs Uploaded: Speed Camera Data
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally i think its the poi loader messing up you could use the csv files and pull them in to poiloader to get the speedzoning back my i3 has been out on loan to freind for the last couple of months so ive not had chance to update it yet so have seen the changes to the way files are

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can't see what the big fuss is about the speed zoned files... there's a big red banner along the top that tells you what the speed limit is for the camera... why do you need another icon?

MaFt
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
i can't see what the big fuss is about the speed zoned files... there's a big red banner along the top that tells you what the speed limit is for the camera... why do you need another icon?

MaFt

Firstly, because using the zoned files, you could strip the speed alerts off the .csv file and apply proximity alerts at different distances for different cameras like I did with the old database.

Secondly because I find the icons much much easier to read than the tiny writing on the red banner which is anything but big.

and thirdly because it was a nice option to have and there was no reason whatsoever why it should have been removed.

Finally what do you think of the ghost cameras that are on the database now MaFt??
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:

Firstly, because using the zoned files, you could strip the speed alerts off the .csv file and apply proximity alerts at different distances for different cameras like I did with the old database.

Fair enough. hadn't thought of doing that.

Almahadeus wrote:

Secondly because I find the icons much much easier to read than the tiny writing on the red banner which is anything but big.

the '30' on an icon is as clear as teh '30' on the banner at the top. also, the banner is always there not just when you're speeding or near the camera (depending on zoom settings)

Almahadeus wrote:

and thirdly because it was a nice option to have and there was no reason whatsoever why it should have been removed.

true, i see your point. i think when the charging comes that they will be making both types available - i'll check though!

Almahadeus wrote:

Finally what do you think of the ghost cameras that are on the database now MaFt??

i've not come across any yet!
alan_t
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by ghost camera's?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_t wrote:
what do you mean by ghost camera's?

ones that people submitted to try and get free downloads. i.e. they don't exist!

MaFt
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed cameras or WHAT... enough is enough. Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
I know this is probably not the right place to post this but I am so annoyed with POCKETGPSWORLD that I'm not visiting nor posting anywhere apart from the Garmin i3 forum out of respect to this great little machine. We now have the evidence that the speed cam database is turning into a complete piece of s**t since the charging idea came into effect. On the latest one which is not provided to Garmin users in zoned files (for some unexplained reason), I found five new cameras around where I live and have done for more than six years that never ever existed. It is obviously the product of imagination of some opportunists that wanted to join the race to get a life-long free membership based on the lie that was once a decent database created by members for members for free. A real shame............

I was told that the speed zoned files were not necessary for you, as a garmin user, to get speed related warnings. Now it would seem that you would like the speed related files restored. That certainly can be done but if there is some better format then just let us know.

Richard
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you StellaMaris and MaFt. I am grateful for you too Oldie (Richard) for responding positively to some of the issues raised.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Speed cameras or WHAT... enough is enough. Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
ere apart from the Garmin i3 forum out of respect to this great little machine. We now have the evidence that the speed cam database is turning into a complete piece of s**t since the charging idea came into effect. On the latest one which is not provided to Garmin users in zoned files (for some unexplained reason), I found five new cameras around where I live and have done for more than six years that never ever existed. It is obviously the product of imagination of some opportunists that wanted to join the race to get a life-long free membership based on the lie that was once a decent database created by members for members for free. A real shame............

The lifetime membership offer was open only to contributors prior to the Dec31st deadline and if we later discover that a member has submitted false information in order to qualify then they would have that privilige removed.

If you can tell me which cameras you are referring to we can tell you if they were submitted prior to or post the deadline. And of course we will remove them.

If anything this issue lends weight to our plans to improve reports and 'weight' users submissions to avoid malicious and erronous reports making it into the database.

As Richard has said, we removed the speed zoned offering for Garmin as we understood it was not required, we will re examine this as post charge introduction we hope to offer more versions rather than less.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thank you Darren for your reply. Is it ok if I email you the towns where these cameras are located (in the scottish borders) as I can't get the exact coordinates. They were definitly not on any of the versions prior to January's as I have been using the database for ages now.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almahadeus wrote:
And thank you Darren for your reply. Is it ok if I email you the towns where these cameras are located (in the scottish borders) as I can't get the exact coordinates. They were definitly not on any of the versions prior to January's as I have been using the database for ages now.

That'll be fine.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: