Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - hear commands with bluetooth headset
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

hear commands with bluetooth headset

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: hear commands with bluetooth headset Reply with quote

Does the 3970 have a "Headset Profile"? I think that the first iPaq with the headset profile was the 5450, and that was disabled.

I havent tried this myself as I havent got a BT headset, but there are reports of people achieving it on the 5450 and later PDAs, but I havent seen it for the 3900 series.
gadgetcbr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: hear commands with bluetooth headset Reply with quote

can anybody help! i would like to be able to hear voice promts from my 3970/navman3400 sleave/tom tom nav software through a nokia HDW2 blue tooth headset,they pair ok but no sound.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

Certainly in all Pocket PC 2002 ROMs, there's no Bluetooth audio support in the 3970 - at least without trying one of the unofficial hacks to put the 5450 Bluetooth stack on the 3970 (which I've never tried and can't recommend).

You can pair a HDW-2 with the 3970 - but once you've done so, there's no actions to select.

David
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

I do not think you can output any PPC audio through BT.

AT least not with present hardware/software.
gadgetcbr
Occasional Visitor

thanks folks, i have spent the best part of 4 days on this one, somehow i manage to want an easy life with an impossable solution. i was informed by a freind that this was pobbable & the answer was a on a link from your site, i think ive now got forum-i-tes. like a wise man once said " if man can make,man can break it" the search goes on, when i find a solution ill let you know.
thanks

gadgetcbr
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

The only ways you can proceed are:

either

Try to track down information about installing a later Bluetooth stack on the 3970. Supposedly some have got the 5450 stack running on a 3970 - though it is almost certainly a breach of licence agreements and/or copyright and may not give you what you want. It may also leave you with a totally hosed setup that you have to hard reset to recover (so I suggest backing up first using iPAQ Backup or Pocket Backup if you've installed that free upgrade).

or

Investigate whether Pocket PC 2003 includes support for Bluetooth audio. Someone using an iPAQ 2210 that also owns a Bluetooth headset should be able to answer this. It is likely that when the Pocket PC 2003 upgrade for the 3970 surfaces (I have one on order, but with little idea when it will ship), it will use the same Bluetooth stack as the 2210, as Microsoft bundle a Bluetooth stack with Pocket PC 2003 and it makes sense for manufacturers to use it.

There is no way to get Bluetooth audio working using the Bluetooth stack built in to your 3970. Even the latest Pocket PC 2002 ROM (2.10 with the SD card fix) the Bluetooth stack doesn't support audio over Bluetooth.

I have the precise configuration you have here, including a Nokia HDW-2 (61 pounds from the Carphone Warehouse if you take along a print out of Expansys' price - you may have to point out to the salesperson that the price promise on the Carphone Warehouse web site specifically includes branded accessories). Once you pair the headset and the iPAQ, there's no actions to select, as I've already said.

David
woodbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:13 pm    Post subject: Nokia HDW2 & HP2210 Pairing Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is probably a bit belated - was just browsing the topics and found this thread.

I can confirm that the HDW-2 WILL pair with the 2210 (eventually!) but I am then told that the device offers no useful services - very helpful.

I originally assumed that I would also be able to hear "Janes" voice in the earpiece - I always remember, too late, that one should never assume anything - and especially not if HP are involved.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: