Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Nivi 350 + Garmin TravelGuide Europe (Full)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Nivi 350 + Garmin TravelGuide Europe (Full)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geofflowe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Nivi 350 + Garmin TravelGuide Europe (Full) Reply with quote

BEWARE!!!!
I've just got one of the 1st ones released and its not what it seems!
The sample guide you get on the Nuvi bodes well with a city selector and then different categoried within that city - very useful.
You would expect then that the full monty would have a similar function - i.e. a city search or menu then the said categories.
NO!! All it is, is a larger more detialed POI database but it centres on where you are at the present time and you cannot search for a city only for a category - hopeless for someone planning a trip somewhere!

Also, as I have done on numerous occasions, I deleted my 'Favourites' and 'Custom POI's' and then reloaded them from Mapsource and through POI Loader - all worked OK (except I had to update POI loader).

BUT!! It has kindly wiped off all the large POI database on the SD card - F**king wonderful!!!! No way to get them back so the thing doesn't work at all. No warning message like'do you want to delete all your TravelGudie POI's' or something like that.

Anyway, I am most disappointed and hope to get a refund from Garmin ASAP. When they sort the product properly I'm sure it will be fine.
geofflowe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small update.

Garmin Europe have been very helpful and are sending me another TravelGuide Europe SD card. They have also sent an urgent message to their software engineers to rectify the concern above.

i will post any further news but in the meantime I wouln't recommend it intil the problems are sorted.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'd have thought that they would put the travel guide poi's in the secure part of the sd card, wouldn't you?!

anyway, as for them being just glorified poi files i'd guessed that from the sample ones anyway. do they show up in the poi list when you do a 'find near destination' or anything like that?

MaFt
geofflowe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will find out when I get a new one from them - will let you know!
geofflowe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New card arrived a couple of days ago - very good service Garmin, thanks! Also got a reply from the USA tech support saying they will investigate the problems. In the meantime I have write protected the new SD card.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: